Who would you buy?

All I know is the calls for us to buy Viera from Porto were dumb because if hes going to arsneal he is by default shit

1 Like

Do they sign players that are shit, or do they make them shit? Which came first?

It’s the chicken vs egg dilemma for the modern age.

3 Likes

He’s a flop about to happen, it’s obvious.

We get involved so Arsenal and other clubs think he’s the real deal.

But we don’t sign him and let another club do that mistake.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Do Arsenal have much height in their side?

Defence isn’t bad height-wise, but the rest are mostly a bit dinky

1 Like

I know we challenged this past season with that group of MF’s, but I would really like to see someone brought in with a skillset similar to Thiago (I’m not asking much). For all I know, that could be Carvahlo in time, however I worry that if Thiago is injured for any length of time we lose so much creativity.
Keita is someone you would expect to fill that void, I just don’t know if he’s up to it, regardless of the glimpses of brilliance and availability we’ve seen this past season.

We have a MF with great heart and big engines, but feel we need somewhere similar to Thiago. I don’t know who that is. Would love for us to bring on the Bellingham brothers over the next season or two.

1 Like

Nope. Even their CB’s aren’t that tall.

1 Like

If we don’t bring in any midfielders this season, I am thinking Klopp can reintegrate Gomez into the CB role and use Matip as an emergency DM back-up. He has ball distribution qualities as well as defensive nous besides being able to carry the ball upfield.

1 Like

Thiago is Gini’s replacement. Ox has been replaced by Curtis Jones. The only major replacement next season will be a younger guy for Milner. The point i’m making is that while we do need improvements in midfield , It’s really not a matter of replacement. We would need a guy who would be competing for first team and not someone who’s just there to fill in the numbers.

Makes more sense to keep Matip/Gomez there. Matip has played DM before and his style of play (especially compared to Fabinho when he plays CB) is similar. Both similar players , with similar attributes.

2 Likes

Matip, Gomez and Konate aren’t going to be playing in midfield unless we get about 6 injuries there and none at the back.

Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Morton are enough to cover. What’s this obsession with making out we have nobody to play in the ‘6’?

6 Likes

Thiago is more likely to play at 6 than Matip, Konate or Gomez.
Though Matip from that 3 is possibly the best emergency option.

1 Like

That’s the problem, though - there just isn’t anyone in the world capable of replacing what Alcantara brings to the table. I can’t recall a player with such unique skill set in his respective position. He literally has everything you want to see from a midfielder both as a fan of his club and as a neutral - aside from a good fitness record. His absences will have to be compensated for in another manner, hopefully Keita (if he extends), Jones and Elliott can step up this season.

Because only two of those are realistic options.

The other two played as the 6 last season.

The 3 central defenders did not.

1 Like

Fabinho, Henderson, Milner (more in smaller cup games where Morton can also be an option). Then, various double-pivot combinations including; Thiago, Keita, Jones (did it last season a few times), Morton.

That’s about it, in that order more or less.

1 Like

Such a strange debate, city had Fernandinho who is 90 as cover for Rodri last season and won the league.

1 Like

I’m not in favour of using central defenders, but Morton and Milner are only options in the early rounds of the domestic cups. Only Fab and Hendo can play that position in the PL and CL. Injuries and burnout are very likely to be issues in the coming season as they were in the last.
It’s hardly a strange debate. It happened last month.

2 Likes

Due to generous officiating, especially in regards to Fernandinho’s (and others’) tactical fouling.

1 Like

2 players per position for the league and CL is standard.

Milner played there vs Southampton in the league and we won. Morton played there vs Milan and Porto in wins, though struggled against Tottenham in a draw. I think saying they ‘can’t’ play is a bit dramatic. Far, far from ideal, but we can still win games of football when using them. Thiago an option too as @Quicksand pointed out.

Talk of using the defenders there instead is indeed strange. We only have 2 players per position at CB too, and one of those will probably play at right back as well. If Konate at DM is the answer then we are asking the wrong questions.

2 Likes