Who would you buy?

There is a Colombian lad playing for Chicago in the MLS, Jhon Duran. Strong, fast, big, apparently he is doing very well. We were linked a couple of weeks ago and again today on Beeb gossip.

Might be a cheap back up to Mo, with a high ceiling, utilizing our Colombian connection in Diaz, and wider South American group to help him settle.

This assumes we will go big on the midfield, so won’t have the money to go with a more established forward.

Goal
Alisson, Kelleher, ?

FBs
Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas, Ramsay

CBs
van Dijk, Matip, Konate, Gomez, van den Berg

Midfield
Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Jones, Elliott, ?, ?

Attack
Salah, Diaz, Jota, Nunez, Carvalho, ?

None of the above will leave/be sold and unlikely that we will bring in more players than the four ?

• We will look lighter in quantity than we’ve been before the start of this season.

• Looks like Nat is the only player we can cash in next summer

1 Like

Next year’s Mikey’s Millions is going to be pretty dull.

2 Likes

I don’t count on Berg for next season, at least not before we see that Klopp counts on him. He’s our player, but there’s always the possibility of another loan or selling him if we get a good offer and we judge it’s the right move. He said himself that it’s going to be hard to break into a Liverpool side, which is objective. Not impossible, but hard.

As for the likes of Elliott and Carvalho, they are obviously two young players who don’t need to be fixed all the time to either midfield or attack. We want to build with Elliott in midfield, but he could be used in attack at times when needed (since I don’t think we necessarily need a RW backup to Salah, at least not yet). With Carvalho, we all need to see more of him to sense what might be his best position going forward.

So I wouldn’t feel comfortable, as things stand (still early, let’s give Nunez a full season), not to get a forward in if Bobby leaves. There’s not only numbers, but style also. I wouldn’t feel good going into next season with ‘only’ 4 main attackers, out of which one is currently still settling in and nobody knows how that will go. Diaz still needs to make steps. We can do with 5 (and then use different options when Mo is not on the pitch, which is not often), but 4… no, it’s too short. If Bobby leaves I’d want a forward of somewhat different qualities to what we have. Not to end up with an attack that is too much made of players “only” looking in behind (of course it’s not, but I hope you get my point).

There’s the question with Millie, although that’s not so massive as he can often stay as the bonus player who covers 3-4 positions/roles. Bobby will be more important, that will be really interesting to see what happens. And then… see some cases like perhaps Jones. Can he earn more time here. Because it’s obvious that we will eye strenghtening in midfield. So it could come to a point in the near future that new quality pushes someone out the door.

2 Likes

Only against shite opposition, invisible against Rangers for the playoffs CL and against Arsenal.

Not good enough.

Gomez and Fabinho might join him…

3 Likes

I also worry that Tsimikas might be tempted away. The “stereotypical too good to be a back up player”

Did not expect a post like that from you. Think you should know better.

Highly doubt Klopp will push them out because of what happens at the moment.

They are also under contract until 2026 and 2027

1 Like

At the moment? I wish that both turn their form around but I can’t recall the last time they were consistently at their best. I’m saying this with a heavy heart but if selling them is what it takes for the team to move forward, then I’ll accept it.

1 Like

Kelleher, Nat, Seep, Morton, and a few other players currently on loan could be cashed in. :money_with_wings:

We’d be lucky to see 20m for those 4 players which wouldn’t even get you a player like that Yates chap at Forest.

1 Like

I agree with the four question marks to solve.

Goalkeeper
Should be the easiest solution as we have two excellent players, so we are talking about a third choice. At that point it’s a toss up between someone near the end of their career, like Adrian has been, or someone at the start, like Pitaluga. At some point Pitaluga would need to play and see some action to fulfil his potential, so if he got the nod as number three, it would be short lived.

Striker
Youssoufa Moukoko is only 17, hasn’t signed a deal at Dortmund, so he is on a free next summer, and several European heavyweights want him. Apparently we are at the front of the queue.

Another we have been linked with is Jhon Duran, Colombian striker at Chicago Fire in the MLS.

Whether it is one of the two, or a different striker, the profile seems clear. Young, fast, bags of talent, making the step up, with loads of potential upside, but at this stage still a cheap player.

Midfield
This is the conundrum in terms of finances. How much money do we have? With the whole world on the Bellingham bandwagon, do we still have a chance? Do we already have an agreement?

If Bellingham is not doable, there are other midfielders, and I tend to think it will be one very big midfielder, plus a canny Bosman like Laimer or Tielemans, someone like that.

Or arguably it might be two medium priced midfielders, like say Kone, and Joao Gomes.

There are lots of variables, but it’s fair to say we need two midfielders to overhaul the engine department.

Add a young striker with a high ceiling, and a third choice keeper, and job’s a good un.

For now!

1 Like

Ok who wants to start first…

duran duran 80s GIF

2 Likes

Actually how often do we buy players directly from teams outside of Europe? Not many I remember of. Our non European players have almost all come via an European stint. Is it a pure visa issue because I would not believe a club like ours do not have a great network of scouts in Africa and the Americas

Definitely not this Duran Duran though …

1 Like

It wasn’t just a mistake in hindsight; several of us on here were banging on about needing to strengthen midfield last summer. It required about as much foresight as a conservative party leadership election.

1 Like

As far as inexpensive midfielders go, how about someone like Ibrahim Sangare at PSV?

No.

What about Guus Til?

These seem like the players we’d sign for 50-60m once they’ve had a season or 2 at a Prem club…we need to cut out the middle man. We don’t have the finance.

Fucking hell no, not even good enough for Everton …