Who would you buy?

Think Quansah may be the better prospect coming through. Time will tell.

I also still have some hope that Sepp might become a first team player too. If those two can even become solid 3rd and 4th CBs, it improves the budget to go after more world class talent.

1 Like

On the front end of the field, unfortunately we could not see Kaiser this season. Hopefully he, similarly to Bajcetic, coming back from a lengthy injury, can make an impact like the Spaniards did, maybe next season and that will truly set our Frontline for a long time.

Jesus christ, no.

By similar to Elliott or Carvalho I assume you mean high performing young players who are coming to the end of their contracts.

Honestly… no. Not in England anyway (which is really the only country I know in any detail).

Based off transfermarkt’s contract end dates these are the only names I pick out…

Nico Gordon, 20, Birmingham City - He’s a big bodied centre back with some pace and can play from the back but he’s struggling to get game time at Birmingham due to injuries and just not being considered ready by the manager.

Jamal Baptiste, 19, West Ham - Very talented footballer, a little slight of frame but very quick and technical for a CB. Was in the West Ham squad to start the season but has played just once in 5 months due to unspecified off-field issues. David Moyes didn’t elaborate but said that he “hasn’t helped himself” so I think theres probably a red flag in there.

Kerr Smith, 18, Aston Villa - Started 10 games for Dundee United last season before Villa signed him. Strong in the air, physical and a decent teader of the game. Only turned 18 in December. Nothing I’ve seen screams out future PL player though.

Christian Marques, 20, Wolves - Portugal U20 international but frankly I don’t think he’s good enough. Hasn’t had a sniff at Wolves, did ok for Forest Green Rovers this season but has now had two long term injuries in two season.

Maksim Paskotsi, 19, Tottenham - I don’t see Premier League potential here to be honest.

There are young English CBs I’d be interested in - Charlie Cresswell probably top of the list - but theyre tied down and would need a real transfer fee tobget them.

For us I’d say giving Jarell Quansah an opportunity is a better choice than signing any of the upcoming free agents. He’s probably more talented than any of them, playing better football than any of them and he’s already on our books. van den Berg probably deserves that chance too although I’ve not watched him play CB much.

Billy Koumetio has probably lost his chance here and I think he could leave this summer. Luke Chambers is too skinny for a PL defender and I expect he will be out on loan and told to hit the weights. Lee Jonas is too raw and probably a bit slow to ever be considered. Oludare Olufunwa is here to essentially be a training cone, he’s hardly played a game since signing from Southampton (which I believe was the plan, not a failing of the deal).

4 Likes

Portuguese! Sign him now!

Jurrien Timber - if only to trigger Dutch.

If we must go Portuguese, Antonio Silva looks the business.

1 Like

Yeah Silva looks the business , but will command a huge fee. He’s probably first alternative to Gvardiol.

That’s the double edged sword of dealing with Benfica now - a seeming hot bed of talent where it makes sense to go looking for new players, but a team that has developed a justification for demanding big fees, even for players who havnt quite made it yet

1 Like

Mason Mount who Liverpool are said to be in for this summer, “could be available for about £50 million,” reports Jacob Steinberg in the Guardian

£45m no brainer
+£55m deal breaker

I’m pretty sure @Dutch likes Timber.

He’s the only Dutch player apart from VVD that is safe from his wrath.

1 Like

I would rather get Kouadio Kone all day everyday…

1 Like

Instead of Mount, if we want a midfielder/forward I’d probably look towards Kudus. Left footed, more athletic, probably a much higher ceiling.

Scored a screamer at Anfield and his numbers according to Fbref are as good as they get.

3 Likes

He looks like a player that we need if he can play an attacking midfielders role, pace, an eye for a goal, a progressive passer and can beat a man.

Sign him up

Nathan Ferguson from Crystal Palace? Contract up this summer I believe.

1 Like
1 Like

I would buy 100 bricks to replace Trent at RB. No one would pass.

Bloody hell that looks bad for him, you would almost say that is his career done.

Or are the Palace medical team just completely useless?

Can we get Gandalf?

That’s true, without Trent in the team we would have very little passing.

Given the lack of shielding from the Midfield, our focus should be solidifying it with players that can win the ball, create from deep and keep the ball well under pressure.