Who would you buy?

GermanRed is a great person, but he has fallen for clickbait; let it slide this time.

Pretty sure Klopp talked about Mount (or there have been reports about his interest in him) in the season before he had his breakthrough season at Chelsea.

If he likes a young player he doesn’t stop following their development.

He was impressed with Ox when Dortmund played Arsenal - one of the reasons why he signed him here.

I know there is a lot of resistance on here to the idea, but the more I let it marinate the more I see it happening. No, if played in a legit midfield role here, as opposed to the freer role he’s scored a lot of his chelsea goals from, he likely wont bring a big increase in goals from that position. However, what I imagine Klopp thinks he will bring is an energy and workrate combined with technical ability that is reminiscent of Lallana. If we want to bring back our front foot high pressure football adding a 27 year old Lallana back into the team would do a lot of good and you can see why Klopp might see that in Mount.

1 Like

From a footballing perspective if Jurgen wants him then who am I to argue with a judgement like that… Personally, I hope we don’t go in for him because after being used to the bright lights of London, settling in the North West would be completely different. If he has the personality to take it down a notch then maybe it could work…
Rather we found an alternative though

2 Likes

Yeah hes used to all these fancy electric bulbs not good old fashioned candlelight like the North.

5 Likes

Apparently the club have been mad on Mason Mount for a long time and even tried to hijack the Chelsea deal when he signed pro terms as a youngster.

1 Like

I find it interesting that despite where he’s been played, Mount has stated he thinks his best position is an 8. And when he has played there in a 443 it’s predominantly on the left side.

It’s easy to look at where managers have used him and dismiss him rather than looking at where and how Klopp may use him. The Wijnaldum Effect if you will. I’m not sure at the time he was playing as a 10 at Newcastle many of us would have foreseen the role Gini would end up playing so well for us.

The fact he can also play as a 10 and further forward on the left is probably something that is viewed quite positively by Klopp. We all know he likes versatility.

He’s not Bellingham but if that deal isn’t attainable it’d be no surprise to me if Mount was our next option. Rumours of a Chelsea fire sale to meet FFP and his contract situation certainly make for the opportunistic deals we’re known to look for too.

Not fully convinced he’s what we need but nor am I of anyone other than Bellingham and we don’t have the option to do nothing if we can’t pull off a deal for him.

Klopp isn’t the best judge of players when it comes to transfers. Its public knowledge some of the players hes wanted over the players we got. There’s a reason we have (had?) a transfer committee instead of the more traditional approach of relying on the manager’s opinion. Afterall, how much time can a manager really spend scouting other club’s players?

I hope we aren’t relying on his input heavily for incomings.

1 Like

Colwill please, going to be quality.

Seen Mount play with Vitesse, Derby and Chelsea. Always got the feeling that he was good but just not good enough. If he is our major midfield signing this summer I would be disappointed.

3 Likes

If he has a better injury record than the current lot - done, sign him up asap!

And is the only person under 3 m to kick fuck out of Chuck Norris.

Saturday just made me remind again how Riera (188cm, pretty tall for a winger) lost so many balls in the first few touches/steps, didn’t use his body well in duels.

So yeah, it’s not all perfectly aligned in football. But for the CB position, I think the criteria, at least for our main CB’s (and not a cheap short-term backup like Klavan), is pretty obvious what we’re looking for.

1 Like

He was very impressive when we played them recently. We didnt exactly test them that much, and that can completely change how a CB looks, but he looks like he’s got everything needed to succeed at this level. He strikes me as a much bigger prospect than previous guys who came through at Chelsea like Tomori or Challobah

3 Likes

Yep he was great v’s us, his stats are top level and he’s playing for England already. Huge talent.

speaking of, he did well on Sat paired with Skrtel

1 Like

Looks younger than when he played with us, I though he shaved his head coz of bald spots!

1 Like

Always felt obvious he did out of choice, not sure why he started to grow it as soon as he left us as the season after he had a head of hair if i remember.

Anyhow on Mount it feels like those over linked stories that never happen.

3 Likes

Liverpool are rebuilding their midfield and believe they have a good chance of signing Mason Mount.

[Jacob Steinber, The Guardian]