Who would you buy?

I think it is more about the flexibility of it and how it may hinder opportunity signings If we use up the quota. We don’t seem to do have done so well in recent years in moving on players.

1 Like

It’s an issue in that any business beyond the three spaces we have relies on selling someone.

Based on current rumours people seem to think our summer could be something like Mac Allister, Thuram, Kone and the Van lad. That would require the sale of a non-homegrown player. But as we’ve seen, it’s not always that straightforward. Someone has to want to buy them.

Point being, part of our business may depend on getting someone sold first and that might not be that easy. But also, if we’re going to get priced out of the English talent that’d make your best eleven then finding some English options for these lesser squad places, like a backup left back or a number three keeper has an additional benefit.

2 Likes

I don’t see us signing both Kone & Thuram personally, if we do then we’ll be looking to sell Fab and think if we are signing the Van then we’d be looking to sell Matip anyway.

I also don’t see us not being able to sell players. We might have to accept a lower price, but I’m sure there are plenty of clubs around who would want an experienced player for the £10-15m range. Let’s not forget the kind of figures Forest were throwing around last summer.

I just don’t see that it will become a problem.

1 Like

If we buy Van de ven, he will cover both LB and LCB backup. Then keep Tsimikas make no sense.

Its possible thats the main reason why Gravenberch is also in the mix. Counts as U21. I personally think going by profile, and considering Mac Allister seems almost over the line, Kone should be the next priority as he’s much more suitable to be a Fabinho cover than Thuram. But would definitely love to have both of them as they are sufficiently different players to suggest that they would play different positions anyway.

1 Like

I think that we are allowed to register three more non-homegrown players this summer, so it makes sense that we sign at least one who counts as homegrown. I expect some sales, though, Tsimikas and Fabinho spring to mind for different reasons.

1 Like

Not for UEFA purposes. For those comps the player must have been at the club for 2 years to qualify otherwise they have to go on the A list, but admittedly in this competition wont count as much as if we were in the CL

I really dont see the HG limit being an issue. If we’re going to be bringing in enough new players that the quota becomes an issue it will only because we’re doing so as replacements for existing players.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m just being paranoid and reading too much into it… But we’ve already lost Milner and AOC, with Kelleher, Phillips and Williams probably or likely to follow. That said, Firmino and Keita have freed up two spots. It would be great to see some players like Fabinho or Alcantara replaced this summer but I accept it won’t happen this summer.

Perhaps part of the interest (other than being a decent player at probably a reasonable price) in Lavia is that he will become ‘homegrown’ by the time it might become more of a problem and why we’re reportedly hoping for a loan/buy back for Carvalho.

It’s looking very likely that Carvalho will depart, with Leipzig trying to get him.

The squad has been far too big for a couple of seasons now. Collectively the players who are known to be leaving represent the work load of maybe one good new signing. Even with these exits, 3 new senior players still gives us a lot of players. We are not going to scrambling trying to find a HG player to make up the numbers.

2 Likes

Current Homegrown - Henderson , Gomez , Trent , Jones , Van Den Berg* , Rhys Williams*

Assuming the likes of Phillips , Kelleher leave. And with Milner , Ox already gone. One of the two defenders can probably be used as a homegrown player as a backup CB.

Are we looking at Tyler Morton as an option ? If so that gives us 6 homegrown players which restricts us to a squad size of 23.

Not a huge problem as we do have the u21’s with Elliot , Carvalho* , Bajcetic , Bradley etc still potentially available for games. But would probably love to have one more signing which would allow us to have a bigger squad considering our luck with injuries.

*Assuming Carvalho stays.

Personally , would take a gamble on Livramento (despite his injury).

Just checked , both Morton and even Livramento (if signed say wouldn’t qualify as homegrown players as they are u21 till November 2023. Having 5 homegrown players (even including one of vdb/Rhys trims the squad size to 22). Not a huge problem , but still one more signing makes sense. Easiest way to get one slot filled is by replacing kelleher with a homegrown keeper as a second/third choice until Pitaluga comes of age.

1 Like

When is Harvey homegrown? And isn’t Kelleher homegrown, thought they counted Irish in that

Harvey will be when he’s 21 and no longer qualifies for the unlimited U21 quota. Kelleher also counts as homegrown. I think Sith might have skipped him & Nat Phillips because there are doubts whether they stay.

1 Like

Kelleher is homegrown.

Harvey is 20. Needs to get beyond his 21st birthday to be counted as homegrown.

It’s not about nationality , someone has to spend 3 years before the age of 21 in an English club to be counted as a homegrown player.

We arent in danger of that for the future especially with Bajcetic , Elliot , Bradley , Morton , Carvalho* , Pitaluga all on their way to be homegrown players from next season or two onwards. But having the ability to register another foreign player by adding one homegrown player shouldn’t be discounted , especially if the right target does make himself available.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1666434456926707715?t=u4C2u8hFHXQsqiUaocQHUA&s=19

I would consider him forsure.

2 Likes

You’d have thought now with Jorg in he’d be 1 of the guys at the top of the list with your Kone’s and Gravenburch’s, if not then maybe we’re not pursuing a CB at all.

Would be a coup for any club in Europe.

Great name as well. ‘The Dicker’, because that’s what he would be known as here.

1 Like

Having another season with the same CB’s would be a bit depressing, honestly. Not saying that it couldn’t work, because we didn’t defend well enough as a whole, from the front, etc. That will have to be improved and it should help or give the defence a chance to go back to their levels.

I’ll understand if we can’t get all our transfer targets right now and before pre-season. Still a good month to go until then and let alone until September 1st, there is time.

Hopefully we can also move some more people out.

1 Like

Yeah I’m with ya.

If we can’t get 3 midfielders and a CB then I’d much prefer 2 midfielders and a CB than 3 midfielders.

For me Gomez has to be the 1 to go, should still be able to get a decent wedge while we can but it would seem strange if we ended up signing someone like Micky Van de (insert name) when N’dickers is out there on a free and seems like an ideal replacement for Matip. Won the Europa league and was in the Bundesliga TOTY few seasons ago.