Who would you buy?

Would prefer Neves over Aouar.

Both under contract until 2023.

1 Like

Different types of players though. Neves would compete with Henderson and Fabinho. Aouar would be more like a proper #8.

4 Likes

I’ve thought for a while that Aouar might be Liverpool’s next target once Wijnaldum leaves and Keita and Chamberlain have another injury-stricken season (and I started leaning towards Liverpool signing a central midfielder next summer). Arsenal failed to sign him last summer and it made me think that it wasn’t just because they failed to come up with enough money. Maybe he wanted to keep his options open for another year, who knows.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he, Balogun and Elliott replaced Wijnaldum, Origi and Shaqiri respectively - maybe going for too much youth would be a risky move but it’s not like Liverpool would be losing much with Origi and Shaqiri leaving. I can’t come up with any centre back names, though.

1 Like

I think we’d look at someone more physical than Aouar for a potential Gini replacement. More like a Bissouma or whoever (talking about style here, not names). Aouar perhaps more like if Keita leaves. But then, Thiago is in and he’ll probably mostly play as that LCM. We also have other players like Jones. So at the moment, if we are bringing a central midfielder in, I think after Thiago last summer, this time it might be more of a hard working one (who can also play of course).

1 Like

He’s been reported as saying he rejected Arsenal as he wants to move to a top 3 in the world team… So we meet that criteria and yes he is an ideal Gini replacement, maybe a bit less engine but more progressive.

Interesting you mention Balogun I thought he was moving to Europe? Apparantly he had 15 offers! Looks a right talent though.

I’d keep Shaqiri, unless he wants to play week in week out. He offers a different play style to almost all our team and for me is a good option to keep around.

1 Like

Whilst we’re on Leicester players I’d be taking Tielemans over Maddison, Auoar or Neves. Cracking player.

4 Likes

He’s definitely one to watch. Funny because judging by the reputation he had coming through, one would think he would be already at a top club. But Leicester paid £40m for him and they’re competitive these last two seasons. So… price and ceiling might be one to analyse.

2 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Eduardo Camavinga. This boy has the potential to be something extraordinary.

Get him to learn from Millie, Thiago and Henderson- he’ll soon be the best central midfielder in the world.

4 Likes

I’ve mentioned it before, I don’t think there’s a player more similar to Wijnaldum in world football at this moment. You look at his stats and wonder what is it that he does to merit his high transfer fee and inclusion in the team but on the pitch… Wow, what a beautiful player. If he played with a bit more spite, with a bit more drive, he’d be unplayable, and maybe that will come with time.

Leicester scouts took so much flak after their title-winning season but what they’ve done in past two years should get them lifetime contracts. Tielemans, Castagne, Fofana, Soyuncu, Maddison - none of them were cheap but all of them were perfect signings. I don’t see Leicester parting with any of them, though, I imagine Tielemans’ price tag will have doubled by the end of this season.

2 Likes

Finally living up to his footie manager hype :smiley: but yes he is growing into a beast of a box to box midfielder.

I’d say Aouar as I think he might be available for half of what Leicester would demand.

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about Aouar’s consistency as I’ve watched him only in Champions League. He looked a real player, though, he had some steel about him and his movement and technical ability were outstanding. I think he’d be great in a possession-based side, between him and Alcantara, there would be plenty of unpredictability in midfield. Maybe he’d stifle Jones at first but I don’t see why both wouldn’t work in the same team once Jones learns to play a bit faster when in possession.

Balogun… I’m going solely off the rumours and putting them together with Origi leaving. I guess he would have already signed for a club from abroad if he really wanted to. I’ve also read that he’d like to extend with Arsenal but it’s hard to see him getting minutes with Lacazette and Martinelli already there. Ironically, I think a hard working young player, driven to impose himself would get more minutes at Liverpool than at Arsenal at this moment.

As for Shaqiri, there are two reasons why I don’t think his departure would be a big loss. First and foremost, his injury issues. Second, I think he’s essentially a no. 10 that requires a system that is different to what Liverpool has at the moment (a bit more traditional striker and wingers who’d rely on his creativity).

There will be a belated “clearout” of squad players + Wijnaldum, Adrian and Phillips leaving on a free this summer, I think. Shaqiri, Origi, Grujić and Wilson are still Liverpool’s most marketable expendable assets. Maybe Awoniyi and Ojo will have one more loan move each before a decision is made on them, too, but theoretically, selling these four should raise enough cash for a centre back and a central midfielder with all the creative accounting and distribution of money over the next few years, blah, blah.

Obviously, the summer after that, Chamberlain and Firmino will be sold to fund Mbappe’s “free” transfer, let’s not forget that deal is as good as done. :wink:

2 Likes

Larouci also, we’ll see if there’s a destination for him in the coming days, but he might leave on a free next summer like Phillips.

1 Like

When he (Larouci) refused our contract offer during the summer window, I thought his departure is imminent. I think his stocks has fallen considerably and don’t have any significant destination in sight.

Alright, let’s buy him as a Mane backup on the left. We have none.

1 Like

Jota!

Though yeah, we’ll see who’s our next forward signing…

1 Like

Buendia? Norwich are unfortunately doing well to get promoted, I would have liked if we got him.

2 Likes

What yous reckon on Daka from Salzburg. Replaced Haaland for them with relative success

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs new terms before then

4 Likes

Have to think Anguissa is another option for Gini replacement. He’s been superb this season.

1 Like

I like Tielemans from Leicester