Who would you buy?

Which doesn’t mean he is not an option at CB as well. He is a versatile defender who can cover all positions in defence - this season he was used at fullback positions mostly because of injuries to other fullbacks (Robbo, Trent at the start of the season, Bradley - who is highly rated by the club - until late November). Therefore, Joe was essentially the only cover for both fullback positions and was consequently mostly used there. Nothing wrong with that, Klopp likes to use versatile players like Joe.

I can surely see Bradley (who is highly rated by the club) getting some more minutes at RB in the second half of the season, particularly in the FA cup ties and Europa League matches. And I am pretty sure we will see Gomez at CB in some of the matches as well.

1 Like

I just wonder if Joe has played himself into fullback over CB. His performances seem much better and more consistent there. It will be interesting to see.

We already did.

Apparently Bradley is highly rated by the club.

And here all of you were worrying about right-backs when we’ve run out of left-backs first.

1 Like

Now we’ve learned Matip and Kostas are both out for several months, a CB and Fullback (who can ideally play both positions) is a must. We’re getting a new injury every other bleeding week, it’s unsustainable.

Expecting Robbo to be back to start against Bournemouth.

No way we bring in another LB but read we can bring back Owen Beck in January.

2 Likes

Don’t think Beck is in the picture anymore, realistically. Gomez can play LB in the meantime and if we want a youth option then either Bradley or Chambers can play.

4 Likes

with our position in the table it will be very interesting window… Not sure the owners or Klopp expected to challenge for PL title this season and yet here we are. The question is are we 1-2 players away from from being an almost sure thing?

No; we’re straight refereeing away from walking the league.

1 Like

happy holidays @cynicaloldgit

1 Like

Several decent options the club could and should consider next month:

Loyd Kelly - his contract expires in 6 months, he is not a starter for Bournemouth. Versatile defender, who could play as a left back or as the left sided center back, 25 years old, premier league experience and will not cost a fortune.

Walker-Peters - 26 years old, also with plenty of experience, typical fullback, can play on the right or on the left side of the defence. Only problem is if his club /Southampton/ would like to do business for one of their best players in midseason. Yet, I still think that 20-25 mln. pounds will be enough to secure his signature.

Patrick Dorgu - there were rumours /mainly from his agent/ that we are interested in the young danish left back. This is his breakthrough season for Lecce /club that is ready to sell its best talents for reasanable amount of money/ in Serie A, 19 years old, 7 starts and 15 matches in total, for the very attacking minded player. One for the future.

Goncalo Inacio - well known name, 22 years old Portugese player, but he will cost a fortune and Sporting are leaders at the moment and I doubt that they will sell one of their best assets for a reasonable /for LFC :)/ transfer fee.

Valentin Barco - 19 years old top prospect from Boca Juniors. Let’s say that I follow closely argentinian football and Barco is a top prospect, just like Fede Redondo /Argentinos Juniors/, but last season /finished this month/ he was mostly used as a left midfielder. I guess that 12-15 mln. pounds will be definitely accepted by Boca. By the way they have a new president and his name is Juan Riquelme.

3 Likes

Priorities for me before Kostas got injured was an attacker. Said this already that Salahs absence will cost us (guess we will see in 6 weeks or something).

Now after Kostas injury Gomez will have to play left, center and right so priority might have shifted towards a defender. Not sure what type of defender.

Difficult market in January with United and Chelsea throwing money around like Konfetti.

Joe is now first choice LB, first backup option for RB, a position where the first choice has started being considered in an orthodox CM role, and a member of a now 4 man CB corp containing a 20 year old with about 3 league appearances and a player with a checkered fitness record. All while he himself has shown a tendency to pick up issues.

If we were ever interested in Hincape, a CB who has also played at LB, you’d think they would have been stepped up in the last day or so

4 Likes

Still don’t think Hincapie is an option because of his representation being the same guy who fucked us about over Caicedo.

I’d still like us to pursue a CB this January because of Matip’s injury and Gomez playing better at FB - meaning the new CB rotation would be van Dijk, Konate, Quansah + new guy. Quansah I think has done more than enough this season to earn his chance at more playing time.

It gives me pause over what we will do though as Klopp has already said he expects a new contract for Matip. I get he is a loyal guy but this shouldn’t happen, these are the times he needs saving from himself.

However, if he gets his wish and Matip gets a new deal then I can’t see us signing anyone in January, or at least notnany new defenders.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there are some new quotes, but Klopp didn’t say he expects a new deal for Matip. He said Matip deserves the club’s support. And that there is potential for a new deal, which of course we cannot deny (and he wouldn’t say it publicly if he wouldn’t be getting one, just days after he got a big injury).

1 Like

Liverpool RECALL left-back from loan after Kostas Tsimikas injury - Liverpool FC - This Is Anfield?

Very surprising if he’s staying here as cover. One of the few loans this year that has gone very well, while also being very questionable on whether he’s actually good enough for us.

3 Likes

One player who would likely be available and who I think we should have a long look at is Matías Soulé.

He is having a great season and if we are to start planning for life without Salah then we could do worse than finding a promising young goal scorer for the right side.

Not too much to lose for us.

We can see him on how he copes as a substitute etc. If he’s still good enough for the EPL without being good enough for Liverpool, there will be plenty of EPL / Championship clubs who can offer a more competitive transfer fee.

Training with the first team could improve him further as well in which case , it’s a win-win for both