Who would you buy?

This summer we should make 3 signings: a CB (replace Matip and hopefully be ready to fill in for/challenge Virg over next couple of yrs); holding midfielder (unless Bajcetic comes back this season and looks great or new manager specifically wants to play w/o); and a forward. Also may need a keeper if Keevin moves on. We fucked up sitting still in summer 2022 - regardless of how well this season may go we need to strengthen in the summer.

1 Like

Why would we need a right back?

Trent, Bradley, Gomez, Ramsay not enough?

7 Likes

It depends what happens with Trent and Gomez. A new manager may see Trent more as a midfielder, and Gomez more as a Centre Back. In which case I’d like us to get another RB. I don’t think Ramsey is really an option yet.

And it all depends on Matip getting an extension.

1 Like

Even if Gomez is used as a CB more , he would still need to provide backup to the wingbacks on occasion.

If Alonso comes in and decides to play 3 at the back , then we don’t really need more wingbacks. But Alonso or anyone for that matter would take into account the strength we have in our wingbacks right now and playing 3 at the back isn’t set in stone.

It would be foolish to write Ramsey off just yet , especially if Trent is moved to the midfield , we would need a backup for Bradley.

I can see a case where we get a LB (upgrade on Tsimikas and a future replacement for Robbo) who can play RB at a pinch. But not a RB

2 Likes

Even if Matip doesn’t get an extension.

We would have VVD , Konate , Gomez , Quansah as four CB’s. There’s always a case for someone like Chambers / Sepp Van Den Berg to be the fifth choice CB.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t want us to sign anyone in the summer. Not a single soul.

We’ll all be crying out for a DM, only for Morton to step up and look like prime Busquets.

We’ll all be crying out for someone to be back up to Mo, only for Doak to return and bang in 20 G/A’s by Christmas.

We’ll all be crying out for a new CB to replace Matip, there’s probably some kid in the u12s right now we’ve never heard of ready to step in and be the new Quansah.

With all that said, if there’s a chance we can get Mbappe on a free (there isn’t) then go all out and offer him what he wants.

A new manager will have a lot of ideas. It’s why we need to sort the new coaching, management and directors soon. They can’t go making decisions on their own.

Realistically, I think we should let Matip and Thiago’s contracts expire. I’m half tempted to keep Matip but his fitness record has always been patchy and there is no way of telling how he will be when he recovers.

I think it’s better to leave 2 free spots in the squad available for non-homegrown players and allow the new team a free hand as to how they would proceed.

2 Likes

Definitely, the club need to be pragmatic about Alcantara and Matip. As talented and as likeable as they are, injuries at their respective ages probably put paid to their careers at the highest level - or their Liverpool careers in the least.

Obviously, everything will depend on getting the new manager and his coaching team right. I believe that one of the primary criteria for the new guy will be how good he is at coaching and giving chances to club’s young players. We seem to have plenty of good ones, thankfully.

If it was up to me, I’d invest in a centre back (unless it turns out that Van Den Berg has made significant progress and wants to extend his stay at Liverpool and fight for his place). I don’t have much faith in Gomez playing there but he’s been a revelation at right and left back, at least up to now. It would be great if Bradley and Quansah continue their upwards trajectory and if Bajčetić resolves his fitness issues and continues where he left off. There are also Elliott and Gravenberch, who still blow hot and cold but have immense potential.

Fitness permitting, we generally seem to be OK in terms of numbers, so maybe the new manager could mostly keep the powder dry in the summer and, aside from getting a centre back, save for a big addition in attack, i.e. Salah’s replacement next year?

4 Likes

It’s not unpopular with me. I’d be fine with it.

1 Like

Just to reiterate,

Not writing him off at all, just don’t think he’s ready. Likewise with Bradley, he looks to be an outstanding talent, but giving him the first team right back starting spot might be premature. At the end of last season I was ready to make Bajcetic the midfield lynchpin and look how that’s turned out.

Thats fine I’m just wondering where we should strenghten? A CB to take Matip’s role, maybe a new backup GK. This is a hard squad to improve.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s remotely similar. We had a squad that was ageing and the cracks were starting to show.

Where in this squad is there space for new signings?

1 Like

Every season there should be 2-3 new signings. Turnover the squad year upon year from a position of strength just like Paisley.

1 Like

There is logic in this but this squad is pretty young as it is and I don’t know if there are positions you could refresh just like that. I’d like to see the club invest in a centre back this summer, though, with regards to Van Dijk’s age and contract status.

1 Like

We could always receive silly offers for our squad players…our good friends Palace or Bournemouth may decide to make someone like Harvey their record signing and put a 40m bid on the table then take the money and wack it towards a quality CB, or if someone wants to come in with a 20m offer for Kelleher, then Pitaluga it’s your lucky day son…promoted as #2 for next season and wack the money towards a promising young talent or 2 (from south america or Africa :wink: )

We could easily work with what we have going into next season, as others have mentioned…it’s a fairly young squad anyway. Matip a new 1 year deal. Loanees coming back with the view to including 1 or 2 into the squad but I’d imagine our incomings will align with what players are sold.

I would agree.

Matip / Thiago / Salah are mostly on their way out though I hope 2 of the 3 stay.

Why do you think Salah will leave?

Nothing’s stopping us from buying young guys and then loaning them out. Even if 2 out of the 5 are good enough to be in the first team in 2-3 years time , that’s a bonus.

2 Likes

Hoping it’s more that Matip and Salah stay. The money might be too much for Salah to refuse. Let’s see.