Who would you buy?

Was more thinking guys like Adrian (GK), Milner/Matip (CB) and Ox (winger) etc not really having a point in being here any more if we bring in Any other squad options but err yeah haha. I think we are probably the most attractive club on the planet to join now for sporting reasons.

1 Like

Phew. I was expecting another breakdown of total minutes available over the season over the various positions :joy:

1 Like

I think we will have a good run in both domestic cups with our second team, I know when the time comes all will not be available but currently we have a few others we are trying to sell.

1 Like

:laughing: well TAN hasn’t had one yet…

2 Likes

If all of you are going to be optimistic, who is going to be the pessimistic c**t? As per forum rules, we are supposed to have at least 1

1 Like

Erm, I’m still here.

10 Likes

Personally I think this should be Milners last season as a player with us (I know not everybody will agree).

If Wijnaldum also leaves next summer - what would we do then?

Surely we won’t sign 2 new CMs.

That would probably be the scenario where we keep Grujic and sign another midfielder. Who would that be? Aouar? Neves (I think this Summer we laid the foundation to do more business with Wolves). Someone else?

Without potentially both Gini and Millie, we would still have 6 CM’s for next season (including Jones).

Doesn’t mean all those will stay, the season is long, a year is a lot of time in football and we can’t really predict what will happen next summer with each of them. It’s up to them to fight and earn staying here.

But yeah, we’ll see, this might well be Millie’s final season with us. One thing is clear with him though, never rush to write him off! Back in Basel, after the final, I said I didn’t want to see him in midfield again (although that was also a double pivot with Can, certainly not our best choices). I was so wrong.

1 Like

We could buy or promote a CB and Fabinho would become a midfielder again.
Or better still we could buy Camavinga to develop alongside Jones. As it is Camavinga is a very good out an out box to box (just what my octor is trying to order).
Also as @Zoran pointed out we are not lacking in the midfield departement and could easily cope losing 2 of the older ones.

The way that Jones is shaping up, That leaves us one less problem. The problem of Ox.

We’ve essentially replaced Gini with Thiago. I think Milner is on a slow decline, He might see out his contract and retire as a LFC player though.

I think it’s best for Marco if he moves, He needs to be playing regular football and he’s not gonna get that at this club.

1 Like

What’s the problem of Ox?
Has he wandered off the yellow brick road?

Injuries mate. No problem with him as a player, But he’s made of glass.

1 Like

Not sure he is. What’s your evidence?

Injury every season. And most of them recurring on the same ones.

Look at his injury history, There’s a pattern there

I don’t see anything out of the ordinary without knowing how they happened however many seem to be knock injuries and contact injuries, groin injuries are very common in football. There’s nothing there to suggest he’s made of glass more not shying from contact.
But hey let’s just go to extremes and make out he’s a falling flute of champagne.

1 Like

Unfortunately I think with Matip and Ox it’s only a case of when they leave now not if (same with Gini and Milner but for completely different reasons ie contract length or age).

This season is more condensed and I think we need a larger than usual squad with an extra player or two then next summer we can streamline a little and get back to the smaller squad Klopp apparently prefers.

Remainder of this transfer window the only options I would still consider are a younger, robust CB who fits the profile Klopp likes, a forward who is an option on the right and a back up keeper. But any of those 3 come in and there may have to be departures.

Quite a lot of departures need to happen already.

Adrian or Karius, both if a new keeper arrives.

In defence Larouci and probably Phillips need to join Lovren, Clyne and Hoever in leaving. If a new CB comes in it might mean Matip can leave with Fabinho continuing to be an option. If Matip stays and a new CB joins the Fabinho would likely be an exclusive CM option. If no new CB comes in I think Fabinho should be viewed as mostly a CB this year and 3rd choice as Matip can’t be relied upon. Further depth from Williams and Koumetio.

For the two deepest CM roles we have Henderson, Thiago, Keita with two from Fabinho (if not covering CB), Wijnaldum and Milner. No room for Grujic I think it’s time he joined Ejaria in departing. Gini might still leave this window but if he does we definitely need to bring in a CB so Fabinho is back in CM. If Matip is also leaving maybe we actually need 2 CBs? Or if Fabinho isn’t needed in CB and both Gini and Milner stay Keita can be pushed forward into attack.

Full backs we are fine with Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas and Williams. Gomez, Milner and academy kids can always offer emergency cover.

For the four most attacking roles we have Salah, Mane, Firmino, Minamino, Jota, Jones, Elliott and then two slots left, one if Keita is included in attack instead of CM. We have a lot of half options for those one or two places but none of them are screaming out they need to stay right now although it won’t harm us which do stay. Ox (injuries), Shaqiri (playing style and injuries), Origi (playing style), Woodburn (readiness and quality), Wilson (playing style and quality) and Brewster (playing style) all have reasons why they should maybe be moved on loan or permanent but at most we’ve got room for two of them. Think Ox is most likely to stay out of that lot. A lot to sort out in this area but if Edwards works his magic quick enough there may be room for an attacker to come in.

I’d probably be more ruthless than Klopp and the team will be. I imagine the real side would be;

Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher.
Van Dijk, Gomez, Fabinho, Matip, Koumetio.
Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas, Williams.
Henderson, Thiago, Wijnaldum, Keita, Milner.
Salah, Mane, Firmino, Minamino, Jota, Jones, Ox, Origi, Elliott.

My side would be;

Alisson, NEW, Kelleher.
Van Dijk, Gomez, NEW, Matip, Koumetio.
Alexander-Arnold, Robertson, Tsimikas, Williams.
Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Keita, Milner.
Salah, Mane, Firmino, Minamino, Jota, Jones, NEW, Shaqiri/Wilson, Elliott.

Not sure who to suggest for keeper and may be best to keep Adrian still. CB I’d likely go for Kabak but Ajer and Tah are other possibilities (at least for me in Tah’s case). The attacker I’ve mentioned before that I like the idea of Dembele on loan with a cheap option to buy. He doesn’t work out we don’t lose much but if medical team can get his body sorted and Klopp get his attitude/potential sorted we could end up with a world class talent for a steal. If not he provides a little cover then goes back to Barca.

Alica Schmidt.

2 Likes

I think injury prone does not just mean that he keeps having recurring injuries or the same injuries etc but the reality is that he has been injured than the average player. He has missed 135 games through being out through injury for the last 8 years. Thats 17 games on average per season, (of course its skewed as he was out for one whole season just a couple of years ago through the cruciate) but unfortunately he seems to be always out here and there with an odd injury and even taking away the cruciate ligament injury, he still missed 14 games on average per season, so that is definitely more than the average player.

Does not take away his attitude and the mental capability to come back from serious injury like cruciate and still play his game in a top club like ours. I still he can be a great squad player for us but I suspect if any club is willing to offer 30mil for him, he might be off.

3 Likes

Group hug in the showers tonight!

2 Likes