Who would you buy?

Can’t help the feeling that he’s not dynamic enough for Liverpool (this season doesn’t count, of course, otherwise anyone would qualify). I also have a feeling he’ll end up in Germany at some mid-table club and take it from there.

1 Like

Wijnaldum is leaving, Milner has (finally) become old, Keita & AOC will (in all probability) keep skirting with injuries and Thiago is still finding his feet. That leaves Fabinho, Henderson and Curtis as the go to guys. In the context, we will need another midfielder.

I’m beginning to think that there was no serious plan behind buying Davies. He was dirt-cheap and given the hole we were in; another CB was a nice idea. I can see him leaving next season, on loan or on permanent basis. Rhys Williams will be loaned out or we can do a Hoever with him as well. Nat Phillips has improved his stocks considerably and can command a move to a decent club in lower PL or upper Championship.

If Ozan Kabak continues to progress the way he has so far, he will be bought.

That brings us to VVD, Gomez and Matip. All three will be fit by the start of the next season, though it may take few more weeks till they regain their form, or get injured again. These three along with (in all probability) Kabak will form the CB roster for next season. However, I do see the possibility of signing another CB.

Will Klopp still gamble on Takumi Minamino, specially if he does well in his loan spell and a decent offer comes in? I think he can be pretty good if played in a central position, a role often given to Keita, AOC and Shaqiri. I think only one of Origi, Shaqiri and Takumi will stay with us next season (please be it Takumi, please be it Takumi) alongside the usual suspects. In terms of addition, I often advocated a Milneresque signing; however, considering we will have four senior and settled attackers, we will definitely go for someone young.

Wouldn’t mind getting some of these in over the next few years.

In particular a future midfield diamond of Camavinga at DM, Gravenberch and Bellingham as the CMs and Jones as the AM sounds amazing.

Glad Elliott is quite high in here.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/nxgn-2021-50-best-wonderkids-in-football/fnujhhs2t5f31n4r3s3y3l1hh#1epxm7sorg15c117n5ofxh3cly

A question for those who know.

Did Brexit change any of the current rules for us in terms of getting South American players much easier?

1 Like

Don’t think so. Think it just means European players are now the same as the rest of the world so far (can obviously change).

1 Like

@Kopstar is the best person.

Here’s Chris Bascombe’s appraisal of what we need to do, both on and off the field, before next season.

3 Likes

Literally 7 posts above yours…

3 Likes

benedict cumberbatch oops GIF

5 Likes

scared classic film GIF by Shudder

Somebody mentioned Draxler

1 Like

so his CV says “Real Madrid, Man City, Juventus” but he’s not very good? I’m looking at the wear/tear on TAA/Robbo with their lack of quality backups and think that maybe he’s a better option than what we currently have…

Don’t make me list all the terrible players who have been at big clubs.

2 Likes

[quote=“Sweeting, post:1427, topic:114, full:true”]

Do you put Danilo into the side ahead of Nico or Tsimikas?

Of course you do. that’s the point. We have no plan to rest our starting FB and we never have. it’s been the Achilles heel of our club since Jon Flanagan and that’s only as far back as I can vividly remember.

I think our best option for a number of years now has been Milner FFS.

1 Like

last campaign, I believe between Robbo and TAA they had 25 assists. pretty important part of our attack.

This year they’re burned out and production has dropped off a cliff. We have all seen it. piss-poor crosses and just a lack of creativity. nevermind the CB situation, we haven’t been blown out more than once this season. But when you go 5-6 games without a goal, you have to look at what changed in your attack.

Everyone points at Mane/Salah/Firmino, but their supply chain for 2 years was the FB’s.

1 Like

Achraf Hakimi is a better option. With Inters problems he may be available for around what they paid. Realistically though we’ve got much more pressing issues in the side.

You can say Williams and Tsimikas aren’t good enough but that doesn’t mean Danilo is. I wouldn’t want a player who can play “both” full back positions because, as with Danilo, they tend to not be good enough at either one.

4 Likes

Well, against teams dropping deep, the loss of VVB and Matip’s height at set pieces has been an obvious loss. I also wouldn’t be surprised if the players have been a little bit more cautious while trying to protect a defence that is more fragile.

1 Like

Great to see us linked with a Quaresma. We’ll come to look back at the last few years as strange, weird times there weren’t rumours about us signing one

2 Likes

He’ll love you saying that :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Zanetti being the exception that proves the rule Sweeting? Is there a young clone of Javier available?

1 Like