Who would you buy?

I think who we will buy will be among;

3rd Choice Keeper, required if Karius and Adrian leave but Alisson and Kelleher don’t need improving as 1st and 2nd choices.

CB at least one probably 2 maybe even 3 if Davies moves straight on.

FB only really need someone if Neco goes on loan or there’s a quick departure for Kostas and not sure I believe either.

CM probably one possibly even 2 if we accept an offer for Keita.

AM/wing possibly one. Don’t think two unless one is a project like a real young player to come in like a Van Der Berg or Elliott style purchase.

FWD at least one, depending on departures and formation possibly two.

GK I think it’s best to go for a cheap/free home grown veteran here as its not really a stand out role and you don’t want to waste one of your limited 17 slots so maybe someone like Asmir Begovic (who classifies as home grown) who is out of contract, mid 30s, limited but some good solid features and experience if we need him in a pinch.

CB I think VvD and Gomez can both do a decent job at LCB or RCB. I personally think we need 2 good enough to start and possibly a 3rd pure back up option. Think ideal for me would be Konate (if sure on his injuries) and Botman. Kabak has the chance to prove he should definitely be bought still. Caleta-Car is an option too. Carmo would have been but for horrific injury. Varane or Militao from Real could both be considerations. In terms of more of a back up Tosin Abarabioyo (if Fulham are relegated), Kristoffer Ajer. Benoit Badiashile may be too good and expensive for a back up but not quite a nailed on starting option?

FB if one is needed take advantage of Inter chaos and try and get Achraf Hakimi. That would give us a real strong option on both sides so we can have some real rotation to keep everyone fresh. If we are really looking for a cheap exclusive crosser of the ball who can play RB maybe a left field option like Paolo Ghiglione?

CM the option or options I’d be looking at would be Rabiot, Camavinga, Gravenberch or even Bellingham. See Berge listed a lot but that doesn’t look like a great deal for me. I think better can be available for same kind of price. Camavinga would be the most expensive but this may be our only window to stand a chance at getting someone who might become the next world class CM. Rabiot may be extremely undervalued and possibly even available on loan. If we were bringing two in those might be the two dream choices.

AM/winger if we bring someone in for this area the obvious top target would be Sancho. Another real interesting option would be Pedro Goncalves. Both would lively be steep prices though. A more “make do” cheaper but still quality option might be Eriksen.

Forwards kind of depends who is leaving. I have a feeling at least one of the front 3 are. I think if Mane or Salah leave and we don’t bring in Mbappe it’ll be a huge blow to us. If that were to happen I’d prefer Mane and maybe even Firmino to move if it meant landing Mbappe for their fees and most of their wages. If we ended up with some kind of front two in front of a diamond midfield I think it could be awesome. Jota competing for both Salahs RF role and Mbappes LF role. Wow! Imagine if we managed to bring in Aguero or Suarez on a free for cover too?

1 Like

Doubt that we need one. We have a plethora of young keepers on our books and they can’t all go on loan; Pitaluga probably leads the queue but Grabara was doing well before his concussion and Jaros is also highly rated.

2 Likes

We already have a really young and inexperienced 2nd choice in Kelleher though. And Alisson has missed game time quite a bit since he came here. We need our U23s etc. to have GKs too Remember so in reality we have a lot more than 3 keepers. But if the youth ranks were filling our 3rd choice slot as well I’m not sure I’d be comfortable going into important games with Pitaluga starting and Jaros on the bench or such. Both Alisson and Kelleher may be injured or serving suspension for a red at the same time like this year.

That’s potentially a lot of new players.

How do you imagine taking Hakimi from Inter who are about to win the league? Varane deciding to come here this summer? Mbappe still being an option? I think you need to lower your expectations a little bit!

On the goalkeeper, I agree. We’ll need a cheap/experienced 3rd/2nd option. I’m still hoping Kelleher signs a new deal soon, he’ll have a year left from this summer on.

2 Likes

A lot of them are options that only happen with departures. Minimum of 1 back up Keeper, 1 starting capable CB, 1 CM and 1 forward. But even at maximum its not more than what Klopp has done previously.

Inter are in a bad position financially which is why some of their players may be available at cost or on loans with pinky promises to definitely buy maybe (looking at Eriksen).

1 Like

I don’t see us going/getting a Hakimi from his role at Inter (after a big move from Real and them winning the league) to be first backup/rotation here for both full back areas. That’s a little unrealistic to be fair.

1 Like

My thoughts are that this season may see as much change as the 2017/18 season. If we’d been able to get Keita that Summer I think Can would have gone but instead all we could agree over Keita was a deal then for the move to happen 12 months later and let Can run down the final year of his deal.

If that deal would have happened we’d have brought in a forward, an attacking mid, a CM, a CB, a FB and a back up striker. 5 possible starters and a pure cover player. I’m not sure adding a 3rd choice Keeper for free would change that.

That season we were also heavily changing the following year too with a star keeper, star DM and a rotation option attacking mid coming in with a deal for a starting attacking mid collapsing over a medical at the last minute.

I think the benefit of this year is we wouldn’t need to follow it up with another year if we did that level of business.

5 possible starters could be 2 CBs, 2CMs and a forward. The back up player could be a free or loan forward. Plus the back up keeper.

He wouldn’t be back up. He’d play as much as Alexander-Arnold and Robertson do just his game time would be shared over the two positions. But I did say I only see us bringing someone in there if Neco goes on loan or we sell Tsimikas after one season neither of which I really see happening.

I don’t think we need a keeper really. Jaros is getting experience on loan. Also Grabara is quite experienced now with his numerous loans. Kelleher has proven himself and will only improve. Hopefully our 3rd keeper never plays anyways. Wouldn’t really mind if we got another keeper as 3rd choice though, Lonergan type of keeper, love a good underdog story I do.

Fullback if none of our fullbacks leave I think we are fine. Neco is getting game time with Wales so more experience for him over the summer. Kostas is solid anyways.

If Joe and Virgil come back good I don’t think we need a starter centre half. I’d sell Nat to get a good price for him as he won’t play again if the boys come back fine. I’d get Konate if his injuries look non serious or improve. Kabak I’m still unsure about. Need 4 cbs at a minimum anyways. I’d sell Joel though.

Midfield we actually are well stocked, issues were mentioned when we signed Thiago that we had about 8 midfielders for 3 positions in the middle. With Clarkson and Cain pushing for a spot we are generally fine. Gini is probably gone but I don’t think we need to replace imo. If we sell Naby and Ox then maybe another addition needed. Someone cheap though.

Salah is worrying me, he’s either after a new contract or could be going in the summer. If he were to leave its Mbappe or Haaland nothing else. Bobby is off form and should be dropped to back up for Jota. If he wants to leave then that’s fine we must invest again. We need another attacker though, someone who can play across the line. Not too sure who but someone who can finish better than Bobby. We will have say Salah, Jota, Mane then as back up Harvey, New Lad and Taki/Bobby. Think I’m missing someone there. Sell Origi , Shaq.

Out of the players out loan, sell everyone but Grabara, Jaros and Harvey. Doubt we will keep Kamil but I’d keep him. Doesn’t have much resell value.

1 Like

So with my plans what we would end up with would be something like;

Alisson
Alexander-Arnold, Konate, VvD, Robertson
Fabinho
Thiago, Henderson
Salah, Jota, Mbappe

Kelleher
Williams, Gomez, Botman, Tsimikas
Camavinga
Jones, Rabiot
Elliott, Suarez, Wilson(?)

And on top of that maybe Begovic, Davies, Milner and Ojo as options too.

5 club developed seniors, 4 home grown, 14 of 17 senior foreign developed slots used and 3 players who don’t count towards the senior places. Two bosman signings, 3 or 4 purchased and 1 or 2 loaned in (Rabiot and maybe Botman).

I can’t see Tsimikas leaving after one season, and I don’t see Neco off on loan. I think both would have played a lot more this year, had we not been forced into playing scratch centre back pairing for much of the season.

Beyond that I think there is an argument that after your two starters, full back is the position that is most fudgable in terms of cover. There are a few players who can cover Centre Back if needed. Joe Gomez might be glad of the games next year (despite me not being a fan of using him there). Milner obviously. And I be having a serious talk with Ox along the lines of I know you didn’t like it at Arsenal, and I know you’d rather be in the middle, but you need match fitness and do you want the games or not?

2 Likes

If you’re spending all that money on Mbappé, you don’t ostracise him on the wing. Yes, I know that our wide forwards don’t play as wingers but you either play him through the middle or you don’t buy him.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t go near the likes of Rabiot or Ramsey personally. Injuries and attitude issues there.

2 Likes

Except he’s a left forward and apparently one of his motivations is to play as the left forward at whatever club he moves to. I’d actually be hoping for Jones to kick on enough to stake a claim as the starting AM at the tip of a 4 man midfield diamond with Elliott and Wilson as back ups and Jota and Suarez as the back up forwards and not in 433 like I’ve listed. But Jones isn’t quite there yet so I listed them as I did for now.

As with all these things it’s media hearsay but it suits what I want to happen so I’m choosing to fully believe it without question :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow, big news.

A right footed star of a player prefers playing on the left, on the inside left or more towards the left.

5 Likes

I’d love to be a fly on the wall of the conversation where Mbappe tells Klopp to play him on the left or he wont sign…

Yeah I seen that aswell with Mbappe wanting to be on the left. I wouldn’t mind swapping Mane for Mbappe and money. Would be a lethal front line. Think I also seen Wilson has been told he does not have a future here.

1 Like

I dont think Wilson needs telling.

2 Likes