Will you stop supporting LFC if they participate in the Super League?

I still think they will give it to PSG in some convulted way.

Can’t see Real Madrid lasting another round.

2 Likes

ABC.

Anyone but City.

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much.

And I’ve written elsewhere how Madrid disgust me at the moment.

1 Like

Where is this tv money for the championship and lower?
Oh yes the FA cup!

Why just at this moment?

1 Like

What? The Premier League distributes 15% of its total revenue outside of the Premier League.

In a typical season it gives the EFL over £400 million.

You can see from this link how much each EFL club received during the 19/20 season.

1 Like

So the ESL was only a Champions League alternate, right? Granted, flawed, and we don’t know enough details of the failed proposal, but at face value it was too much of a closed shop, so unsporting in that regard.

Switching gears…

But the Premier League remained the same? And all the domestic leagues below the Premier League?

If I have that right, I think the amount of fuss over the proposal was misplaced. Yes, some fuss was justified. The proposal needed to be refined, especially in the sporting aspect of allowing for promotion and relegation. I don’t think those issues were insurmountable, and would likely have been thrashed out… but the strength of the fallout meant the whole thing died a death rather quickly.

I still think it will come again, in some other guise. It was poorly executed, and the people leading it are clever people, so if I can easily see how poorly executed is was, I’m sure they can too. So my conclusion on that aspect is that they knew it wouldn’t fly, but it was to test the water, to prepare for what comes next. And as such, it has been a negotiation tactic, because UEFA now know they have to engage in some reform.

5 Likes

IMO it’s not “the same” if you have different groups of clubs competing (or not) for different tournaments controlled by different organizations. Also just my opinion but I believe that would have tainted whatever sense of competitive integrity remains in ways we wouldn’t fully understand until it was too late.

4 Likes

Thing is if you win the PL as it is now it means something, I don’t think it would particularly if this had gone ahead. I don’t buy for a second this money was going down the football pyramid, well it might have gone to Real Madrid’s second 11.

You wouldn’t get Klopp doing it but some teams would probably go, oh just rest our star players this weekend we need them for the big TV game in midweek and once that started happening it would just become an after thought to most teams

1 Like

I thought the point they were making is they needed more money at the top and those lower down could just go shag sheep or something. That’s why I questioned their use of the word pyramid, even the use of trickle down would be abusive as what they were looking for was to block the money at the top.

The football pyramid has been an expression used to illustrate all the levels of the game for donkeys years. They didn’t just coin it. There’s nothing malign in its use. It’s been an accepted way to describe the league and non-league system for decades.

1 Like