Will you stop supporting LFC if they participate in the Super League?

In one word! No.

I’m too invested in football and Liverpool to just stop having any feelings for them.

I’m pissed with cricket and barely watch it any more. But I can’t stop myself checking the scores. It’s not just for Bangladesh, I still keep a tab on my old flame the West Indies.

2 Likes

I will always support and love Liverpool football club. But I won’t watch a single match in this shit ESL.

The club is bigger than every fan, but at the same time LFC is nothing without fans. There is a sacred bond between players, manager and fans and the temple for all of them is called Anfield.

If we participate in ESL it will end FSG’s regime sooner rather than later.
And we all know that fans, players, staff and Klopp of course have nothing to do with this plastic competition and twisted idea. Several greedy bastards decided to act only driven by money and the players, the manager and the fans have to go through all this shit show now, while those responsible for what is happening are hiding like rabbits, silently watching and counting the money from J.P. Morgan.

Kick FSG out of the club and with new owners we will be out of the ESL and hopefully we will restore our values created by great people like Shankly, Pasley, Dalglish.

So, no reason to stop supporting the club, because of the fact that several rich guys want to get richer. We must fight for Liverpool and its values.

5 Likes

Covid, both the initial shut down and then the return to empty stadiums and VAR have really dampened my enthusiasm for football of all sorts. I now barely watch anything other Liverpool and the lengths to which I go to ensure I don’t miss one are trivial compared to even 3 years ago.

I will not consciously give up, but can see myself increasingly becoming disengaged if the ESL is as souless as it feels it could be (albeit, similarly to the proposed CL revamp) and there is a knock on effect of turning the Premier League into the equivalent of the regional championships in Brazil that are now more of an inconvenience than something to be proud of.

It’s worth remembering, these effects on the domestic game have been speculate at pretty much every stage of CL expansion and redesign since they first introduced the group stage in 91, so I’m not convinced the scare mongering now is legit. But this does seem like a bigger step than any previously taken in a way that makes the fear a bit more legit.

2 Likes

I will, but the ball is rolling now so I ferventlyhope that won’t be necessary. City and Chelsea withdrew now, so the righteous outrage is helping. I pray that Liverpool withdraw asap, but in any case, if the board had anything to do with this, they need to go in my opinion. This is the most outrageous assault on sports and fair play in my lifetime. I am just so disgusted by the owners actions in a way I can’t put into words. 0 percent integrity, I will never again look at the owners, who I kind of liked a lot, with the same eyes again. They have revealed to all what they are and what kind of monster they want Liverpool to become. This is about ethics in a truly fundamental way.

1 Like

The clock is ticking now after Chelsea’s and Manchester City’s withdrawal. I read that Barcelona’s members must agree and that is unlikely they will. The longer Liverpool now waits to withdraw, the greater the shame and the bigger the hate object Liverpool will become. It is imperative that the club now withdraws very fast to mitigate some of this catastrophical PR damage, for mark my words, Liverpool’s image will be stained.
This cartel of clubs have managed the unthinkable, which is to make FIFA and UEFA, with all their problems, look like saints.

2 Likes

We need to drop out before United. Can’t be seen as more greedy than the Glazters

2 Likes

Athletico Madrid withdrew now as well ! This is going the right way ! :slight_smile: But now the club really, really, really need to withdraw faster than fast, the damage if they wait too long will be incalculable for Liverpool’s image.
In any case, all of this just shows that if enough fans of rival clubs are united for a good cause, good things can happen ! This is much more important than just one club, no matter how much you love it, this is fair football itself at stake !

Fortunately, the thread’s question has now likely become irrelevant. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I was just thinking “thank fuck I don’t have to answer this now”

2 Likes

I would have carried on supporting LFC even if we joined the ESL.

I think the ESL was a cack handed attempt at trying to get greater autonomy for the purpose of generating more revenue. Yes, a misstep, but I’m not up in arms about it like many fans appear to be.

As we move forward I don’t trust FIFA or UEFA. Both corrupt, and UEFA have proved incapable of enforcing their own FFP rules. Consequently Man City have been strengthened and the playing field in the rarified air at the very top is very uneven. Unless something drastic happens to change it, Liverpool’s lot in life - assuming we live to our means and don’t go down the road of a sovereign wealth fund owner - will, I fear, be around the edges of the big time.

I loved the title as much as anyone, but that will be the exception as over time we will be blown out of the water by artificially inflated clubs with more money, unchecked by UEFA.

The ESL was a cack handed and unsporting way to generate a lot more revenue. It didn’t happen, but the factors that prompted the attempt are still there.

3 Likes

Until the next time … :wink: you keep beating me to posting, which is good as you put it so much better than I would. :smiley:

1 Like

I think we have to be careful not to confuse issues.
For mr the ESL was an issue.
UEFA is another, it needs reform however, having lived in France such a long time, that it works slowly isn’t a great problem. It is it’s format that needs changing over time. I think football needs a Mourad Boudjellal and a Bernard Laporte or another way for all to come to some consensus.
Fifa is a monster it needs drastic reform that I don’t think will ever come about but we can only hope.
However I do feel they are different issues that we should confuse. I can not go into details as I haven’t the knowledge I can only fall back on what I have witnessed in my life. When it comes to football it’s LFC on the field that counts a little history and some well remembered players along with some background of Exeter City (a fan owed club in England) and Aberdeen (Which was a family owned club whilst I was an active supporter). I did get quite actively interested in goings on within rugby as a supporter of RCT hence my mention of bad boy Mourad Boudjellal (who really wasn’t bad at all and was a bit of a visionnary who listened as much as he spout out).

It depends on the structure of the ESL. If there is relegation and therefore promotion then I would not give up following the Reds.

I’ve long thought that a “super league” was inevitable, and I could see the attraction of it. I think the standard of football would be a lot better. Ajax vs. Roma, for example, would be a much more attractive proposition than say, Burnley vs. Crystal Palace. Of course, I wouldn’t be invested in it as much, but then it wouldn’t be aimed at “legacy fans” like me. It would be for the future generations of fans. Probably one day there would be a WSL, but by then I think I would be too old to operate the TV remote control unaided.

It’s intention apparently wasn’t to replace Palace vs Burnley but then again Ajax and Roma hadn’t been invited eithier, as I said the 5 teams were just way too small a group and yet in some minds it expanded to a list of 15-25 and yet you had Perez saying people want the best games every week.

Only way you’d achieve that is a exclusive league of 20 teams even less over time, not more.

I should have made myself clearer.

I wasn’t thinking of the ESL as envisaged by the 12. I was thinking of one where there would be promotion and relegation. Something along the lines of the idea proposed by @Iftikhar in the ESL thread, where the top 20 of UEFA’s co-efficient table would play each other. At the end of the season, the bottom 2 would drop out and be replaced by the next two in UEFA’s table of merit or whatever they want to call it. Sort of a pan-European premier league which would replace the Champions League. Those not involved in the ‘Euro Premier League’ would play in UEFA’s secondary club competition which, of course, they would qualify for based on league position.

They could play in two groups of ten with the bottom one in each group getting relegated. The top four in each group would be the quarter finalists in the knock out stage.

That should satisfy the group of 12’s desire for guaranteed participation regardless of domestic league performance, as games played in the ‘Euro Premier league’ would have a higher value than games in the secondary competition. So unless they have a disastrous season and finish bottom, they should always qualify for the elite competition.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be popular with everyone, but something like that could head off another attempt at a breakaway.

2 Likes

Surely the answer is that they form their own league, a total split from asscociative football.
Our domestic leagues continueing without them.
See where it leads, who ends up with the sustainable product, who supports the pyramid and who keeps the fans happy!

Man City winning the CL would be jarring the richest club will nearly always dominate but as we proved you can overcome it, us going into the so called ESL would be far worse. So that would be it for me.

With what I have suggested, the clubs would stay in their leagues and so the TV companies would not be able to justify cutting the amount they pay. Therefore, the clubs lower down the pyramid shouldn’t suffer. But if the elite clubs were to pull out of their domestic leagues then that would be the end of professional league football in Europe.

1 Like

I’m just suggesting an alternative that doesn’t pamper to the elite and stifle any romance in the sport.
As long as there’s fans there will be professional football, I mean our Carlise’s, Gillinhams, … pay their players why do you think that will change?

I’m surprised that there are still 92 league clubs in England, and if the TV companies stopped pumping money into the system because the ‘Big Six’ were no longer there, then I think a lot clubs would go under.