Wolves vs Liverpool: FA Cup Third Round Replay: Tuesday January 17, 19:45 GMT

We do not need to win this at all, the games we needed to win were Brighton and Brentford.

A trip to Brighton for the winners? Nah you’re alright.

Win if we can why not? Might be the only way to get in Europa league! Then in 24 we’ll win the EL and end up in the CL again!

I want a performance with some hope, if we lose to a dodgy goal but put in a performance I’ll at least have some hope.

I would like to see us just try something else, I’d rather we mix it up and fail than just keep doing the same thing every time and still failing!

Kelleher
Gomez Phillips Konate
TAA Bajcetic Thiago Robertson
Elliott Salah Gakpo

Gomez and Konate have lots of pace to defend the wide areas, Trent and Robbo have a bit more license to attack, not as much pressure on CM to cover the wide areas. The three forwards can be much more compact and closer to the goal.

2 Likes

Agree with a lot you did there.
This 3-5-2 with those players would work, I believe…
The only thing I’m sceptical about is Elliot on RW…
I think I’d put Doak instead, I know he’s more untested but I’d count more on him to be able to beat an opponent and cause more danger. Elliot would mostly turn and pass back (I love him and believe in his potential, but right now it’s not doing us any good and we need to find a way to use him/develop his style).
Another thing I love about Doak is that he dares to run to opponents with the ball and take them on, and if he loses the ball he immediately tries to recover it, and I’ve seen him recover it successfully many times.

Also, I would put Alisson, no way he deserves to be dropped for a couple of mistakes, he’s been our best player this season and we’d be in relegation zone without him. Even in those couple of games where he made mistakes, he did very good things too.
Btw, isn’t Bacjetic injured??

3 goals to nine for someone.

Who’s doing the presser for this one? Is it Pep Lijnders again?

Peter Krawietz must be due one

1 Like

It’s not going to happen. If JK hasn’t done it by now he never will. We are absolutely made for playing the wing-back system, 5 CB’s to pick from (if you want to include Phillips) and Trent and Robbo having the stamina and ability to play the wing-back role.
Having said that we did actually play it at Brighton not long after JK took over, Can, Lovren and Wijnaldum as the 3 CB’s, absolutely bizarre but we did win 5-1! Doubt we’ll see it again though.

3 Likes

I dont think he has ever employed it wasn’t Can in a back 3 under Rodgers.

As you say it it releases a lot of our potential especially with the forwards we are missing.

A lot of teams defensive shape slots into a back 5 with 4 in front and a lone CF

Salah never starts for us centrally when it’s a front 3, at least he never did under Klopp so far. Don’t want to see a spine with Phillips as the central guy in a 3 at the back and then Salah as the central striker. Don’t know how we’d keep the ball with that structure.

Do we know how to keep the ball in any structure atm :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We do, it’s not the time to do literally anything just to try and provoke a change. Still needs to make some sense. It’s why we’re not in those roles.

1 Like

Eh disagree. Its a cup game and this team is going nowhere fast without something changing. Its worth experimenting.

If it doesn’t work just switch Gakpo to CF, which I think is where he will end for us long term anyway.

2 Likes

Also Mo has started centrally on a few occasions, but not in the last 2 maybe 3 seasons

1 Like

Doesn’t matter which competition it is, after the embarrassing last performance we need to show a much better face. I am open for changes that still make sense, considering the players’ strengths. We changed the structure and some players’ positions quite a bit in the first half against Brighton and it was even worse than some previous games when we didn’t change anything.

Yes he did, but when it’s two up top.

We changed back to our more traditional 433 in the second half and it was the worst half of football we’ve played all season.

2 Likes

Yes but my shout out was was 3 5 2 :wink:

Yeah, the whole game was bad. It’s hard to change massively at HT. It’s not all about formations and personel changes. A lot of it will still have to come from training sessions. I’m up for a structural change, but not a too radical one.