Women's Football: General Discussions

Agree that looks the most likely, England’s route to the final is very tricky tho. I don’t think will see anymore big wins from them. Looking foreword to some more competitive match up’s tho.

1 Like

No chance for France?

1 Like

I was pondering that one as it is definitely the closest of the QF. I just feel that the Netherlands are hitting form whereas France may be feeling the pressure.

1 Like

France also sadly lost their best striker to an injury.

and Spain is up 1-0

Watching the England game, come on ladies, smash these! Odd watching a game of 22 Robbie Savages but hell, let’s go!

That’s a pretty good goal, ace!

1 Like

When I played in University our women’s goalie was considered good but we used to laugh that she dived like she had a negative vertical jump. She was awful at saving long shots because she somehow seemed to get less length on her dives than she would have had she just fallen over with her arms outstretched. That’s what that winning goal looked like to me.

What a game! Magical. I’m emotional and it’s only the quarter final.

3 Likes

When comparing the men’s and women’s games, the goalkeepers are always going to be the one area where it is difficult to get a direct comparison because there are very few women who are the same height as male goalkeepers and yet the goals are the same dimensions.

Spanish keeper, Sandra Paños, is 1.69 m (5 ft 7 in) tall. That’s above average for women but by by comparison, Alisson is 1.91 m (6’3" ?) . Mary Earps for England is very slightly taller than Paños. I think the shortest male PL first choice keeper is Pickford at 1.85 metres. Obviously there is more to being a keeper than simply being being big and getting in the way but physical side does count.

Having said all that, if you watched a women’s football match 20 years ago it always felt like they were playing on an oversized pitch. You don’t get that feeling any more.

1 Like

Wait, hang on, are you saying there are differences between men and women???

To be fair the retreating defenders shielded Stanway’s shot. The Spanish keeper didn’t see it until it was too late to react

How have France not scored against Netherlands! Absolutely blitzed them!

I’ve just started watching about 15 minutes ago, don’t know why it took me so long to actually start, but it’s been a terrible match so far. Neither team seem particularly tactically disciplined, and the Dutch left-back seems to have a habit of just faffing around.

French finishing was poor and the Dutch only remembered they had to attack when they went a goal down

2 Likes

It certainly got much better in extra time, even before the goal. Before that, it seemed like a lot of unforced errors by both teams… After that it seemed better although mostly very one-sided, albeit dominating by the French until the last 5 minutes which were dominated by the Dutch.

2 Likes

England vs. Sweden
Germany vs. France

1 Like

Any thoughts on this before the games? I still fancy an England vs Germany final but Sweden and France have been grinding the results out which is often more of a guide for these competitions.

I thought England’s comeback against Spain was telling. They were a goal down with 10 minutes remaining but you could see their determination to pull through at the same time as the Spanish were bottling it. Mentality monsters?

1 Like

Expecting another close game but confident England can edge a win again. Nothing I’ve seen from Sweden has impressed me so far this tournament, but going form their high ranking, there must be more they can offer. Fingers crossed they don’t find it tonight!

2 Likes

Austria got close a few times vs Germany and a mistake led to the first goal. France will go through their defence for sure and Germany won’t sit back like Holland did. I fancy France to be the finalist from that tie.
Sweden looked solid everywhere but found it difficult to finish against Belgium. As long as we don’t make mistakes like we did for Spain’s chances we should hold our own, but it’s too tight to call plus they’re the 2nd ranked team in the world. So tough call. If we get some lucky breaks we’ll go through

2 Likes