World Cup every two years

But it will generate money. The sponsors will pour money into it. Simply because there isn’t anything else. Like a big company, FIFA is trying to wipe out all alternatives so that they are the only destination for all sponsorships/money.

So we’ve had UEFA adding a third tier to European football to get more clubs involved in more games. And now FIFA coming up with this, to double the frequency of World Cups?

Complete joke.

A reckoning is coming.

Too many governing bodies, all with their own interests. All want more money, which means more games, more exposure, more sponsors, etc. We are past the point of doing what is right for player welfare.

The ESL will return in another guise.

Infantino is at it again I see? This guy is pure poison, he reeks greed and corruption through every pore of his dirty body. In comparison to him, Blatter and Havelange before him were but innocent choirboys.

2 Likes

Grave concerns….How in the hell would they squeeze the qualifiers in outside of South America.

I wonder if that is where Infantino is getting his cash nowadays.

Maybe they will eliminate qualifiers! Maybe a country’s standing/progression in the continental competitions will place them in the World Cup? What we will see is basically an (improvised) version of ESL.

:money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

The question then is, why don’t they usually do that, maybe you could have a nations league type scenario.

1 Like

I think every team has the right so maybe some knockout playoffs maybe three rounds or something in Europe qualify the top 5 or something and then allow the rest to fight it out.

Look at the Groups at the half way stage and they are predictable Group F and Group J stand out but even then the team at the top is the best.

The nations league has helped teams to improve and I think that’s a good thing so we see teams move forward such as North Macedonia and the fact Kosovo have taken 4 points this week and Armenia are second in their group but what really is the point in England rolling over Andorra.

Yes Andorra have the right to qualify, here is the route It’s three or four knock out games

Proposal came from the Saudi Arabian football federation. Can’t possibly be about money.

2 Likes

I can’t believe Wenger is playing the cheerleader for this ridiculous idea. Way to lose all your street cred Arsene.

The only way a World Cup every 2 years works is if every other international tournament is scrapped.

I’d be all for it if they scrapped the Euros, The African cup of nations and the Copa America etc

But I doubt that will happen

2 Likes

I think that’s what FIFA is going for. It’s slicing up the pie to their convenience.

They will be the sole producer of NT football while the confederations will do club football.

1 Like

Yup, only way it really makes sense to me as I’ve said.

Dunno his offside idea was pretty bad.

This is essentially Wenger’s idea. It’s important that this is not just a case of having more world cups, but doing it as part of a total restructuring of international football in a way most people would probably be in favour of. For UEFA qualification would be similar to your idea (I think it was yours) about using the nations league. The positive is it can be done with fewer international breaks and without so many meaningless qualifying games against over matched sides. The big downside is similar to one of the issues with the ESL - it locks in the qualifications of those in the top league and for those who start on the outside will take several cycles of success before they work their way up high enough through the leagues to qualify. For many of these smaller teams who tend to have fleeting success on the back of a few unusually good players, their time might have passed by the time they get there.

The real downside though is that I dont have any faith that any of the concessions that are being proposed as part of the plan would remain in place, with people seeing opportunities in the calendar for games and just further increasing the work load on the players.

1 Like

The only way that I would like to see this, is if they completely scraped group stages.

In effect a global international FA cup with 160 teams. First found Scotland could draw Brazil and cause an upset. A bit of luck with the ball machine and opposition, and a team like Nigeria could find themselves in the final.

That for me would make it interesting. Every country has a chance of progressing in the tournament, or getting KO early.

2 Likes

Don’t be silly they will give Brazil about 4 matches to qualify like all the other big nations.

That’s why I said qualify the top 6 say on the top two groups of the nations league and same can be set up in Africa and probably Asia.

Américas is where it becomes a bit more difficult. But it’s doable.

Get Matthew Kelly in and he’ll figure out a way to structure the qualifying.

“Why are Denmark playing again? Didn’t they get knocked out last week?”
“Honestly, no one knows.”

That was Henry Kelly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Damn it