Your worst Liverpool experience

As far as I know it wasn’t live in Oz

I know I never watched it ‘live’

I used to wake up and ring the results telephone… ( wow)

I remember hearing more about it at school that day and again later that night on the tv news.

There were quite a few for me, like 4:4 against Arsenal in 2009, home defeat to Arsenal in 2012 when whole season spiralled down and Kenny ultimately lost the manager’s job, going out of CL against Basel in 2014, losing 6:1 to Stoke… But none of them struck me as hard as Lisandro Lopez’ equaliser for Lyon in 2009. That year was very difficult for me on all fronts and the way the team ended that match was a fitting end to the year. I remember thinking that it would be the last time I’d see Liverpool in CL for quite a while and that it would be the end of Rafa’s tenure. And it was raining heavily, too, though I usually love the rain.

1 Like

I was at that game!

3 Likes

It wasn’t you, I hope! :rage:

1 Like

Ha no, I can call on my dad as a witness if required :joy:

Steve Finnan’s only LFC goal that day, and it was a bloody good one, he looked like Cafu!

2 Likes

Getting up at 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday morning hungover in college to watch us lose at home to Blackpool. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I mentioned a few moments above, and forgot a really haunting memory. End of season 2015, Stoke 6 Liverpool 1.
An end of season dead rubber? Perhaps, but an awful indicator of where we had fallen, given the pomp of the previous year.

2 Likes

Being terrified of getting crushed on the terraces at Spurs away in the late eighties. Way too many people in our end and I spent the first 10 minutes of the game just trying to breathe until they let some of the fans out on to the pitch. I really thought people were going to die. I didn’t stand again at a match until last year when I stood on the Kop for the City game.

Watching Heysel unfold, being told by my mate of his experiences at Hillsborough (which he has never got over). God, this is a bleak thread…

Lowest point as a fan was Liverpool 0 Wolves 1 under Hodgson. The worst Liverpool performance I have ever seen under the worst manager we have ever had. For the first and only time I became indifferent about us winning or losing because I just wanted to see the back of him. Still can’t believe now that he was ever our manager.

2 Likes

Good point, Billy.

I was probably a bit clumsy in the OP. There are obviously some moments that many of those on here will have first hand knowledge of - moments that, to a large degree, define the history of the club in the latter half of the twentieth century.

It was not my intention to ask everyone to relive those moments, but of course, all replies welcome.

More stories about getting thrown up on… :wink:

1 Like

On the pitch - 88 cup final. We got tickets and thought it was going to be a formality. Then Vinnie Jones got away with twatting McMahon in the first few minutes, and there was something in the air.

Off the pitch: Hicks and Gillette. Watching those cunts leach the blood out of the club was a low point. To this day I’m still quite pleased that I’m still not quite sure which is which.

1 Like

The 88 cup final was a travesty. Missed penalty, Vinnie Jones, the rise of agricultural football. Losing the White Suits final was rotten, but at least Utd were a top team. The Crazy Gang was a myth created by media with space to fill…Harry Enfield humour about plasterers with loadsamoney type charm. The Jones tackle on McMahon set the tone. But it bothered me that Liverpool were like choir boys in the presence of thugs. McMahon was a hard fucker, but Souness or Case would have kicked lumps out of Jones.

2 Likes

The Gerrard Slip. Not because it costed us the game and the title. I still can’t bear that expression on his face.

The last few weeks of H&G. Can’t really express my feelings. It wasn’t exactly anger or sadness but more like a hollow feeling, the inability to feel anything. We are going to be liquidated, just couldn’t wrap my head around that.

2 Likes

I was only a kid, but my recollection of the match was there was a classic FA Cup levelling up job done by the Referee. Starting with the absolutely disgraceful attack on McMahon, he let Wimbledon kick the living shit out of us, and penalised Liverpool every time we breathed on a Wimbledon player.

Then there was the Beardsley equaliser that he bizarrely pulled back for a free kick to us after failing to play advantage.

As bent an officiating performance as you are likely to say. He got completely swept up in the romance of the David and Goliath narrative.

2 Likes

Watching the title decider live in 1989. That feeling of numbness when Thomas scored. I sat on the couch absolutely stunned, thinking how did we lose that title.

Not a game but i was shocked,horrified with the appointment of Hodgson. I was actually embarrassed that a club of our stature (our club, Liverpool!!) had fallen this low. This on the back of those fucking arsehole owners!
I know this may sound like something with the benefit of hindsight, but, I predicted to my mocking mates even before the season began that Hodgson would get the sack by Christmas.
As it transpired i wasn’t far off.

2 Likes

There are macro and micro experiences, and in terms of micro, well Paul Konchesky.

3 Likes

I sat on the Kop…stunned…got out the ground so late I missed my train and had to wait at the station till 5am…

1 word – Woy

2 Likes

Sounds similar to my mate, used to work in Soccer Scene in Carnaby St and offered a free ticket to 05 C/L final through a Nike rep. He only found out at 9pm the day before the final, so was up all night jamming a day off work, booking flights hotel ect. Eventually got to Taksim Sq and met up with all the other reds. Lost his backpack with passport, flight ticket and match ticket - but didn’t realise until he was at the stadium so ended up watching the game in a cafe across the road from the stadium.

Woke up the next morning to a message from the hotel reception to call the Australian Embassy asap. Turns out, left left his backpack in the taxi getting from the hotel to Taksim Sq to re meet up with people he met earlier in the day. The taxi driver had found his backpack, and spent a couple of hours trying to find him and ended up taking it to the local police station with match ticket inside, who contacted the embassy knowing he would need his passport.

3 years later, for a wedding gift, his missus framed the unused ticket with a reminder to not be a dumbass ever again. He still has it hanging in the hallway as a reminder.

And he is still in touch with the taxi driver, and last year hosted him and his family when they decided to go and visit Aus and NZ.

7 Likes

Mine is reading through the ‘rough edges’ comments on the Curtis Jones thread just now.

3 Likes

That’s probably my worst memory, the Bristol City was an earlier memory though the years of the 90s were all pretty crap bar the odd cup.

I think hearing Houllier had a heart issues was a concern and losing to Wolves at Anfield when Hodgson was managing, the Blackburn game that sealed his fate was just laughable, I had for the first time in my life gone past caring and by then rumours of his sacking were everywhere so I just hoped it was soon, the talking twats on Sky were still calling for more time.

In recent memory probably Sevilla hurt hard, so wanted Klopp to win something, CL I never expected us to be there so that was fine, I think if we had lost to Spurs that might have topped this list or if some of the tosspots had had their way with null and void, that would have crushed me.

3 Likes