Your worst Liverpool experience

For me was watching us play under Hodgson. That wasn’t LFC. Who ever was responsible for that complete cock up needs roasting for 1000 years.

2 Likes

Single worst moment for me will always be the Stevie slip. I grew up idolising him, still am. The one player who deserve the epl medal so much, but arguably responsible for letting it slip away in 2013. The irony. Alas, it wasnt meant to be.

1 Like

I actually hold Brenda responsible for that loss, Chelsk were then oscillating in and out of their earlier pomp, and all we had to do was sit back and hit them on the break, but at all costs to not lose. Yet Brenda saw fit to have us wage an onslaught on them, whereby it was Chelsk who hit us on the break. A calamitously inept and inexperienced managerial decision.

5 Likes

Tbf, Gerrard was the one who actually made the mistake, so, technically it was Gerrards fault imo, as painful as it is to say. Had Gerrard not slip, i sincerely thought we would have drawn that game.

But Rodgers gung ho tactic didnt help either on that day, especially with Hendo unavailable. Part of me wonder if that was because Rodgers was uncomfortable with sitting deep and absorbing attacks to counter teams, given how horrible our defense, or maybe he was just plain clueless idk.

One mistake is a 38 game season can never be attributed for loss of a title. This is used by rivals who try to undermine Stevie’s achievements, but atleast we shouldn’t fall in that trap.

4 Likes

Ok fair enough if you say it like that. But that particular slip was so monumental in derailing our hope of the title that season, that it shouldnt be ignored either imo. When a simple fan like me thought it was the worst LFC moment i ever experienced, how Stevie must have felt i can even dare to imagine.

Fair enough from a personal experience perspective, but as I said many many other factors were involved. Hendo’s injury and subsequent lack of plan to cope, referring decisions, defensive liabilities etc etc.

The slip should actually be ignored, because if it happened in any other game by any other player, no one would have talked about it. A slip and a moment losing a title is Terry slipping during a penalty in a CL final, and that was it. Not this. This is like Thiago Silva slipping previous game and now whenever Chelsea finishes the season, they deserve +1 position than that and it’s all Silva’s fault he slipped.

The appointment of Hodgson,an accident waiting to happen and it didn’t wait long.

1 Like

Ok, i get that you dont like to mention that particular moment.

Edit : Was in a hurry but read your post again. I have to disagree that the slip should be ignored. Its a painful moment, i can never ignore it. But it does not take away the fact that it did derail the title mount, no matter the circumstances like Hendos absence, etc. I dont really care what rival fans are sprouting too, we got more than enough incidents to sprout right back in their face, especially United.

1 Like

Atleast he has bullied United on their opening match :grin:

Gerrard’s slip is constantly being raised as the moment that defined that season. Pity, as his performances throughout, along with the form of Suarez made us dream.

3 Likes

89, ex girlfriends house watching it while being over fed cheese sandwiches with enough Branston pickle to curl your toes (not by choice).

Having to hold in the obvious frustration and disappointment while her and her family had a good laugh at my expense was not a great time.

At least with the 88 final I was alone and not subjected to the inevitable piss take.

1 Like

Yes, and befittingly you made her an ex-girlfriend. Should we enquire if it damaged your memory of cheese sandwiches too.

2 Likes

Not really and not immediately.

My pickle tolerance levels have never quite been the same admittedly. Still a cheese fiend though. It’s just I prefer a cheese and pickle sandwich rather than some pickle with a little bread and cheese.

3 Likes

On the TV, it has to be Heysel for me. I was a boy at the time, and it was a horrible moment to see people die in front of everyone’s eyes.

Hillsborough of course stands out, but I read it in the newspapers.

Live, I’ve been spared of really terrible moments, thankfully so. My worst memory is a drab nil nil at home against WBA on a cold and wet night at Anfield a few years ago, in the midst of a moment in the season when our forwards were on fire. Everyone was expecting a firework previously to the match, but they never got going. At the very end, the lads found a way through, Solanke scored a perfectly valid goal, only to be disallowed by that * of a ref. :rage:

I remember returning to the city center in a bus, with silent and somewhat melancholic fans around me, staring into the rainy night… Had everyone known where the journey would lead, I’m sure that we’d have been in a better mood though! :grinning:

2 Likes

I also remember Heysel. Getting up at 2am when i lived in Australia. I was about 10 years old i guess.
What is worse i think is the fact that i couldn’t understand the gravity of what i was watching.

2 Likes

I was on the Kop for that match. Drab 0-0 oversells it!!

3 Likes

Same here. I still remember my elder brother yelling, what the fuck is happening. :pensive:

1 Like

We’ve never played well when ive sat on the Anfield road end, I actually didn’t purchase a ticket in the sale once because it was on the Anfield Road, thankfully a ticket came upon the Kop later that day as it was the 4-3 against Man City.

Anyhow when we drew to Soton with Milner missing a penalty, that was probably the worst feeling in a ground, I’ve seen us lose games but I felt it might have blown top 4.

2 Likes

Definitely when Arsenal won the League at Anfield in 1989. I had to go on a night shift right after the game and there was a fuckin Man Utd fan waiting for me when I arrived at work. Horrible night.

2 Likes