An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

If we were to strip out the little scumbags and criminals there to cause trouble,rob runners and have a laugh,what type of real far right numbers would we have been left with?

Have Ireland considered how Singapore solved its housing issue? I’m not well-informed but maybe @gasband can shed some lights.

A hrd core, again disparate and incoherent.
Links to various UK, US and European groups. Not massive in numbers.
One of the go to leaders, Ben Gilroy has no hope of being elected despite a "massive " online following.

1 Like

I doubt it.
We have a mess of a tri pary government who have no skill or integrity.
And the abject desolation of knowing they will be there again and again

This creates space for the far right.

Can you see FF doing a deal with the Shinners next time round? Might be what we need in order to start providing those who feel left behind with opportunities they currently feel they don’t have.

Considering we are almost at full employment,meaning most/all tradesmen and builders are so busy they are turning work down ,how do we build more houses/apts.
Should we be looking at what we used to do where the state builds the housing,bringing in foreign nationals to fill the positions needed to do so.

While the needs of having proper housing is a common need across any country, I would say there is a vast difference on how people in Singapore and a country like Ireland would view and tolerate government policies and intervention, sometimes very restrictive and invasive ones to achieve a common good. I can only say 75% of us live in public housing of a good quality, and not just that, very importantly ,in neighbourhoods that are racially and culturally diverse,functional, convenient and self contained.

I think all humans deserve proper housing at an affordable price but I really think it does not just take the will of the government but how much the people believe that the government can deliver when the government might make uncomfortable decisions to achieve that end, I think that is the underlying question.

4 Likes

He had form for knife crime - Apparently.

FF will felate whoever they need to in order to be in government.
And still be useless when involved.
Hopefully the Shinners and Social Democrats, with PBF etc get enough seats to form a more left government.

Next time round if we have FF/FG/GP up against SF/SD/PBP it’ll still be very tight i think.Both Labour and Independents could need to be be courted to give someone a clear advantage

1 Like

The alternative is SF minority government with the left alliance in support.

1 Like

A collection of left leaning parties may end up being as useless as a collection of middle/right leaning parties.Too many to try please unless they can decide policy prior to election time rather than waiting to see who’s up for it and what needs to be compromised in order to quickly put together a government .

2 Likes

On my last trip, I overheard a pub conversation frothing with rage against the government and various sinister forces trying to oppress free Irish people…by ending the burning of peat moss.

The whole banning of burning turf has annoyed people, as we continue to import peat products from Eastern Europe.
Using trucks/ships to transport what we are banning as a fossil fuel in Ireland.

From an environmental point of view, most people understand and agree with banning fossi fuels.
The alternative just annoys people.

1 Like

Is the ban meant to have wider environmental impacts? Protecting biodiversity and so on?

I believe so

1 Like

Also greenhouse gas impacts. Peat is an incredible carbon sink, so as a fuel it is incredibly carbon-inefficient while leaving it in place lets it absorb a tremendous amount of CO2. It is on the order of 10x the carbon storage of forest land. Unfortunately, the EU has been making recognition/crediting of this sort of land-use benefit very difficult in their overall carbon policy.

2 Likes

Imagine, a novel called Prophet Song which postulates about an Ireland ruled by extreme right wing, where trade unionists are routinely jailed?

Congrats Paul, but hope you are not really a Prophet!

Irish author Paul Lynch wins 2023 Booker Prize for Prophet Song

2 Likes

I was at he gig for Gaza last night, great stuff…emotional and a venue full of positivity and support for Palestinians in their current or ongoing plight.

MC for the event was Joe Brolly, and he did a great job…mentioned our recent racist reactions, the riots and the attitude of McGregor.

Round booing of McGregor and a round of applause when Brolly called him a cunt.

5 Likes

I saw a link to this opinion piece by Fintan O’Toole in the Irish Times:

https://archive.is/ZsOCb

Does that ring true at all to anyone currently living in Ireland? Certainly, there is a long history of fascists relying on yobs to further their cause.

1 Like

The north inner city has been a powder keg for a while now.
The fascists used this as fuel to stir up hatred towards foreign nationals. They use false information and lies to provoke people, to seek reaction.

I was in town the other night and saw a group of lads and girls, all about 17/18 full of menace. One snarling thug was hell bent on trouble, calling an Indian lad fucking smelly…the air was thick with menace.

It won’t take much to ignite it again. And now the far right seem to have found their charismatic leader figure…Conor McGregor. Expect a crack at the elections next year