An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

I think Labour are dead personally,

I could see Fianna Fáil accepting a Sinn Fein coalition reluctantly, they said they never would but push come to shove I think they would. Think the Soc Dems could be a minority party in that too.

Anyone but FG and the Greens imo

Why not the Greens? There’s some good Green candidates here in the north. I’m not really up to speed with politics down in Mexico

1 Like

Couldn’t name a Green Party member / candidate in the north to be honest so not sure. In the south I despise Eamonn Ryan’s ideas and I think he’s a fool at times.

Think he seeks to make the country worse off.

How do you turn Green to Yellow?

Put it in Government with FF and FG.
They are going to get obliterated next election, and rightly so. I support the Green agenda, but not these cowardly fucks in our government

FF will accept a coalition with SF, but they will have to as minority stakeholders.
Social Democrats should steer clear. 3rd parties in coalitions get crushed, in government and elections.

Not sure if the Greens are crushed though. Think they have a louder stake than they should for how tiny they are….

Simon Harris looks nailed on to be the next Taoiseach btw.

I’d rather Paschal

Hi everyone,

Just a few quick questions, are the shops and museums closed on Sundays in Dublin?

Is O’Connell street the best centrally located place to be based for a first timer tourist?

What’s the traffic like from Dublin Airport Dublin city centre and vice versa?

Long been a shit hole even 30 years ago and now, I understand (may be wrong as haven’t personally been back in 10 years), the centre of the white power equivalent. Doesn’t sound like it would be ideal for you.

1 Like

Tourist view

Shops I think most, Museums no. I adore the Museum of Archaeology, a Sunday afternoon is perfect. Opens 1pm maybe?

I prefer the south side of the river, but well away from the din of Temple Bar. O’Connell can be a little rough around the edges here and there.

Traffic seems to depend heavily on time of day. Shuttle bus is easy and cheap. Dublin is a bit odd by European standards not having a train connection to the airport

1 Like

Right, that recent incident would be not far away.

Yeah I’d base myself in Ballsbridge or Donnybrook

1 Like

When I am footing the bill rather than an expense account, I really like the Grafton and Drury Court Hotels. Easy walk to so much, right in the heart of the old city, and reasonably priced. I have stayed in the Clarence and the Shelbourne, both are quite nice, but often found myself walked toward the center on my own time anyway.

Sadly, no more expense account trips to Dublin for me. Irish holding company sold…and before I ever got to see a game at Croke Park.

1 Like

Thank you guys!:pray:
It is a last minute thing really.
I saw a good deal on lastminute.com for Rui plaza hotel, near O’Connell st. It looked like a nice hotel. Also, Castle Hotel.
However, Paul RoJo has got me looking at those 2 places he recommended :upside_down_face::smiley:. Abit confused. So, maybe we can bus it in to the city centre.

Arminius, your hotels sound expensive, as you went via work!:grimacing:

Drury Court is not expensive at all, I am a cheap bastard and I don’t go to great cities to sit in an expensive hotel room. The Clarence and the Shelbourne are both quite expensive, more than I care to pay for my luggage to sit in. The Grafton is somewhere in between, it is nicer than the Drury Court but more expensive (the two are perhaps 10 meters apart).

Some of our locals might know better, but I would not have any reservations staying at the Gresham along that first couple of blocks of O’Connell. My eyes tell me there is a shift somewhere around Parnell Street.

2 Likes

That all sounds like good advice @Maria. Forget Ballsbridge - it’s just where I grew up and it’s more of a family area for renting a house etc.

2 Likes

@Maria

The Guinness tour is open on Sunday, and is worth a visit.
If you want to go shopping then head for Grafton Street.

O’ Connell Street is tacky and has a few undesirables hanging about, maybe avoid at night.
Stay away from the Liffey Boardwalk…even during the day.

Get the bus (16) to city centre from the airport. Taxis will fleece you.

The hop on hop off buses are handy to see the sights, plenty of operators along O’Connell Street.

The hotels are as you would expect. The Shelbourne, Westbury and Gresham are more expensive, so any of the other options are fine.

Pub wise there are loads of decent options. The ones just off the Grafton Street area are lively.
I like The Duke, on Duke St…just off Grafton St.

Depends on how much time you have and what you want to do or see.
Its always lively and busy in the city centre.

Edit
If you visit Grafton Street make sure to get coffee and a pastry in Bewlays!

2 Likes

Thank you soo much guys, I’ve always wanted visit this city, full of history and literature.
:slightly_smiling_face: :+1:t4:

@Quicksand,
I made a note of your recommendations in my holiday notebook.:slightly_smiling_face:. Definitely have a proper cuppa tea and cake over there.

We are contemplating 2 nights and 3 days, but sometimes it is cheaper to to stay 3 nights.

I know the countryside is very pretty, but I think that is a week’s trip for another time.

1 Like

Where was this advice for me?!?

In all seriousness, GRMA for the advice about An Siopa Leabhar, it became a ritual on every trip. I have a solid bookshelf of Gaeilge books at the lake now, a ladder of sorts. Still somewhere around the third rung from the bottom, mind you. Asterix books and the like and I don’t catch the puns.

1 Like

If you want a sense of the countryside, but don’t really want to leave Dublin, spend an afternoon at (on?) Howth. We spent an afternoon there, dinner at 101 Talbot Street, a show at the Abbey Theatre, and my wife announced she wanted to retire in Ireland.

2 Likes

As I failed to give you Bewlays!!
Have a look at this…
Lunch in Howth and DART back in to the city…

2 Likes