Anfield and Kirkby

Err aren’t we the holders?

As for stands I couldn’t give a fig what they are called bar the Kenny one. Stadium name rights can get really tacky but stands don’t bother me, wouldn’t bother me if I was sat in one of them eithier.

1 Like

I hope one of the stands is named in memory of the Hillsborough victims/Anne Williams

1 Like

Won’t happen. The eternal flame is at Anfield and you see it on every LFC shirt - there is no reason or need to have a stand renamed for this purpose. Plus it wouldn’t pay.

The Main Stand and ARE may end up getting some sponsorship, but suspect they would end up something like;

The [insert sponsor name] Anfield Road Stand/Main Stand.

2 Likes

Yep - but that makes little difference to it being sponsored by the UAE

https://youtu.be/PaKN497uyJ0

1 Like

WTF happened to the Anfield crowd?

I was there last night - was pretty loud - lots of songs, good atmosphere.

5 Likes

Did you watch it on DAZN? They always seem to have the crowd quiet. I’ve heard them make Westfalenstadion sound like a church.

1 Like

Not only the sound was muted, but the section of the crowd on TV was pretty docile. Do you think the broadcasters do this on purpose.

2 Likes

On DAZN it is noticeable. Sky and Amazon have an option for crowd noise only which is far better.

Years ago I can remember the BBC turning down the sound on a Liverpool vs Manchester United match because 45,000 people were chanting, “Jimmy Hill is a wanker.”

4 Likes

It sounded better last night on the highlights, I mute the commentary so didn’t hear the in game sound.

TV for some reason stick the mics next to the away fans, so it sounds like the home fans are quiet when the reality is anything but.

5 Likes

Sadly, there was almost nothing substantive in that article.

Think @Draexnael’s last post on this was far more informative.

Fuck knows why the atmosphere is always being questioned and everytime we’re a couple up and a team scores a goal you have cunts like Jim Beglin saying, ‘ooooh you can feel it, this place is nervy’. Well fuck sakes, that’s what happens everywhere when teams score to make it tense.

Anyway, Anfield to me is like that bodyguard at the door who’s got the rep. Fuck around and find out. Yeah so Palace rocks up and it’s a little dozy, where the fuck isn’t. It’s Palace. The sound rises and falls, it’s a rhythm that plays out to how we feel about who we’re playing and again, very much everywhere else. But where it’s not like everywhere is when someone has fucked around to find out, and when the chips are really down. Then Anfield is a living, breathing monster of pure fire that is all but unrivaled where players are risen to feats they never thought possible while players of stature in the game are reduced to mere spectators to a red tide.

Yeah we all want that every game as fans and spectators but that’s unrealistic without it just being pointless noise and drum beating like elsewhere.

6 Likes

Really well said. Tha ‘atmosphere’ IS famous. Many ex players and managers have remarked on the atmosphere at Anfield. Thierry Henry has mentioned it, as have Mourinho and Wenger. They’ve all played/managed in big games at big grounds.

I’ll take their opinion over any knuckle dragging fan who starts questioning our atmosphere 2 minutes into a game or 20 minutes in when the fans have sung non stop and are having a breather. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Awesome!

2 Likes
1 Like

Some ground this is going to be… we now need to put our thinking caps on to solve the headache that is the Kop and the main road to the back

Apr 26, 2019. will never forget standing at the front of the Kop and hearing that cacophony of voices behind me, staring at the pitch. being able to smell the grass. amazing.

yes, I also wept with joy.

6 Likes