Anfield and Kirkby

Realistically, this has been long overdue and I’m happy we’ve finally made another step off the pitch.

First I want to say is that the human factor is the most important and brings the most difference in terms of quality of work. Just like Shanks was in his day, just like Klopp is in his own way today and hopefully someone else in a few years down the line. But we also have to make improvements, it can’t be all about history and tradition.

Of course, Melwood didn’t block us from having relative success here and there in modern times, but surely we have to improve some things if we want to remain as successful as possible. It was, is and will always be an important part of the club. We’re too big as a club to remain at such a tiny place in these times, nothing wrong in saying that.

Did Shanks make changes and improve Melwood when he came? Yes he did. Well, it’s been time we made the next step. And the next step is moving to a new place, since we can’t make Melwood bigger. We can’t be prisoners of history all the time, there comes a time when we have to improve infrastructure.

What is the true value of Melwood anyway? It can’t be compared to the decision of staying at Anfield (even if it changed and will still change a lot) par example. It’s a training ground, a place where fans are not allowed. The stories from the past are great and hopefully they’re told and retold forever, but that is the past and is not possible anymore these days. There is some value for sure, but it’s more for the fans from the past, it cannot block the club’s needs in the present.

I’m sure it had it’s advantages as it is, being isolated, first team only, small and compact. Perhaps brilliant to create a first team/first team staff atmosphere. So much history, it had it’s romantic aspect for sure. But also, whichever place you leave after spending so much time is going to be sad initially.

Why should we remain at a place where we only have one or two pitches which we have to hide with curtains? Where have to turn tiny rooms into limited video analysis rooms? Where injured players can’t have their (full) rehab? Where we don’t have the whole club together at one place? Where Klopp himself can’t go and watch an U-whatever game when he has a bit of time in his schedule? And who knows how many other disadvantages?

I’m all for it and really curious to find out how good it is, all the ideas behind it, details, etc. Especially since we decided to stick with Anfield. At least make the training ground proper quality and modern. Can only imagine what someone like Thiago thinks when he goes from a place like Saebener Strasse to Melwood. And both Bayern and Liverpool are big clubs. Or a manager who worked in better conditions. Nothing wrong in admitting that and Klopp often spoke in the most polite way that we have to prepare the future.

The training complex is arguably the true engine of a football club, if not even it’s home. That’s the place where players go to work almost every day and spend probably most of their days, even more than at home (when they’re awake!). It’s only natural to strive to make it the best as possible. Bigger/modern doesn’t necessarily mean better, but this became too small a long time ago.

Anfield is much more for fans (though of course, we are and will try to squeeze as much as we can to get more fans in and revenue). Football staff and players don’t need much over there like they do at a Melwood or Kirkby, it’s the manifest of everything twice a week.

We have to create new history and in order to do that, sure we can keep some traditions, but we also have to improve other aspects in line with new times.

11 Likes
1 Like

F°cking hell, Mellor has the same type of shoes than me… :flushed:

Camper, quality! :+1:t2: :smile:

3 Likes

Edit… The comments in this thread… Is he leaving, why did you sack him, finally he leaves etc !?! :confused::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Why am I feeling sad :sob:. I have never even been there :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

You’re getting too sentimental. Better stop reading @Alright_Now ‘s posts- they’re clearly having an effect on you.

4 Likes

Stop it. Last time I cried was yesterday. That was after doing a second Peloton ride in one day and realizing I am one of the great embodiers of the human spirit.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Some brilliant pictures

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Daniel Agger on leaving Melwood :heart:

"I almost spent 9 years at Melwood and it’s definitely one of the places I miss the most.

"Not really the facilities but more the people in it.

"From the guys at the gate to Ann at the front desk, the girls in the kitchen, the press office, Norman Gard and of course my teammates.

“I could keep going. The place was magic. Especially for a 21 year old boy from Brøndby. :soccer::sparkles:. Y.N.W.A”

6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes

Just looking at that second picture, imagine if they all had mobile phones…

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

I assume all the Melwood staff would just relocate to Kirkby right?

2 Likes

Yes, Klopp confirmed that everyone working at Melwood will be moving to Kirkby, so we’re not losing/changing the human factor of the whole thing for the time being.

6 Likes