Ballon d'Or and other individual awards

Messi and Ronaldo simply have large organisations of people around them who make it their whole job to ensure they win this award. That’s all it is really, a bit of corruption.

No one in their right mind would believe that winning the Copa America with Argentina means anything in terms of being the world’s best player.

2 Likes

I think my mind is tainted by the fact it was such a bad tournament held in Brazil under such a corrupt regime and in the most corrupt circumstances the only good thing was Argentina winning it as it denied Bolosarno his cherished sports wash.

I should be careful about what I say sometimes but the Gold Cup was miles better both for entertainment and the quality was also better.

To quote your average Everton fan

DISGRACE

PS I’ve only included the polite version as this is a family program

Happy for Lewandowski. But let’s face it, he only got it because Messi and Ronaldo were absolutely atrocious.

I think there are two choices this year, Mane and probably the clear favourite right now, Benzema. I think Afcon and a CL might push Mane over the finish line.

Nah. Mané could score a hattrick next weekend and it will still go to a La Liga player.

2 Likes

Messi will still be in the top 3 too.

1 Like

Got to get Ronaldo in there too.

It’s pretty impossible not to give it to Mane if he did win the CL next week be silly if anyone else got it.

I have no doubt he will win the UEFA version if he does.

Fabinho 14th :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
VVD 16th
Diaz 17th
Trent 22nd
Nunez 25th

Stupid awards, but…

Diaz should be higher with 4 trophies last season.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Congrats to Benzema.

Very much deserved.

I was hoping Mane would win it. I think if we had won the Champions league final this year, Mane would have clinched the Ballon d’Or.

However, Benzema is a worthy winner considering the way Real Madrid won both La Liga and Champions league and Benzema has been an integral part of this successful Real Madrid team for many years and was often overshadowed due to Ronaldo, Kroos, Ramos, Modric etc.

3 Likes

Probably deserved in footballing terms. That doesn’t make him less of a toxic idiot though. Someone who has recently been proven guilty and condemned to a conditional jail sentence of one year because of blackmailing a team-mate (the ‘sextape’ affair involving Valbuena), should never be anywhere near such a price.

You’ve got to feel for Sadio, who wasn’t far away from Benzema in terms of having an almost perfect season (bar that CL final which was heavily biased by the awful pre-match troubles), and is a fair, respectable lad.

1 Like

I agree Hope,
I don’t condone his off the pitch behaviour. They like to pick the bad boys I suppose.
I also felt Lewandowski should have one at least one Ballon d’Or, but they voted for Messi, when he was not at his best. Also, Virgil should have won as well.

Also, it seems the Spanish leagues tend to dominate in winning this trophy for the best footballer, although our league is stronger and watched more around the world.

1 Like

Massive injustice towards Lewa when the awards wasn’t even held during lockdown. Could’ve done something online at least, it’s a shame to “lose” a year like that, like football never existed. Other than that, I’m not really a fan of these awards and they don’t tell the whole story. Often, there are simply too many candidates and it’s hard to please everyone. So, it’s also hard. But better now when they look at the season rather than the stupid ex-calendar year.

2 Likes