Ben Davies (CB) Preston North End

So Ben Davies I read. Anyone know him apart from him being a defender at Preston and that he is 25 ? Reeks of a stop gap de luxe, but Klopp did say that he was looking for someone very cheap. 2.5 million is probably within the “very cheap range”.
I wish him the best of luck, and who knows, maybe he can become a Robertson light-story ?

Let’s hope he can do a good job.
Fingers, toes and hair, crossed. All the best to him !

4 Likes

I would imagine Ben is now thinking will I even get a game this season.

1 Like

As far as emergency signings go this ticks a few boxes. Might not be the best CB in the country but right now he’s better that Matip, Gomez and Virgil combined! And at £2m if he’s really shit he can go and do the dishes for Beryl for a few months :grinning::+1:
edit: (while Beryl goes in defence).

3 Likes

Especially if he’s read Lawro’s analysis on the BBC Sport website:

“I am not sure he will play very much at Liverpool, but the experience alone should be fabulous. I hope he experiences playing in the first team, but even if he is just sitting on the bench then it is still great for him.”

Good job we all know Lawro talks bollocks.

12 Likes

Good stuff. If Lawro is already writing him off, that’s a good start already since everything he says is bollocks. Lets hope this isn’t the first time he is right. Not sure how I feel about this. If he comes in and does a job for us, it will be a masterstroke.

4 Likes

Know nothing about him, but if Klopp and Edwards think he’ll do a job, then that is good enough for me.

Oh, and Sepp going the other way on loan is great news, giving him 6 months of first team football will do him the world of good

2 Likes

As long as he can stop defenders, keep the ball away from goal , doesn’t give away stupid fouls and communicates with Alisson and Hendo…could be known as a steady Eddie(bit like Phillips), but they could build up a bit of a defensive partnership…pls Carra…have a word in their shell like…

1 Like

Are we going to have a “who the f*** is Ben Davies” meme or is it just me?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment by Lawro. He does know a bit about playing centre back and also of course Preston is Lawro’s team so he will know more about him than we all do. He has been bought as a last resort and I very much doubt he will be with us next season. We would have to be in a real hole if he ever actually has to start.

He is the Steven Caulker de nos jours

I just hope someone didn’t get the two Ben Davies scouting portfolios mixed up.

2 Likes

Can you add this to the poll please…

A pile of broken centerbacks.

4 Likes

Will probably get Nats position alongside Fabinho. Wonder will he make the debut against Brighton and stay for the City game. What a big jump from the Championship. Do like to see some home grown talent come through. If he was a French lad called Benny Davidson (say in a French accent and it sounds French) would he be questioned as much.

I think he may get some minutes against Brighton, wouldn’t expect if Fabinho is fit that he would play, more likely to be Hendo

1 Like

Maybe a Klavan?

Or, alternatively, Edwards’ ‘drop the mike’ moment that tops Robertson. It does sound like he has improved massively in the past year, and given an opportunity to learn from elite players and coaches, that may continue.

Probably off to Celtic this summer, realistically.

4 Likes

Yeah, we’ll see how he’s like compared to Klavan. Similar height/size, left footed, apparently good on the ball.

3 Likes

So next time we loan a young player to a club we better check out who that club has that we might want.

End of the day we don’t know what he is being brought in to do.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he did sit on the bench, saying that it wouldn’t surprise me if he plays.

2 Likes

Good luck to the lad! He will probably see some action, at least, such is the run of bad luck we have had in the position. And if he does a Nat Philipps sort of job, he can hold his head high. If he somehow turns out to be inspired, ala Robbo, well, he will go down in folklore.

We raided the tea lady’s piggy bank.

Burnley were after him to apparently. He’s skipping the step between mid prem and the top, so it will be big jump up for him. Sink or swim, no time to stick his big toe in prem water to see how he likes it.

But at 2 mil, hard to see how at minimum he isn’t just an asset we’ll turn a profit on if he’s not quite up to snuff with us. Be interesting to see how many games he actually gets with us, Klopp usually beds these types in, but will be hard to do with all the injuries.

Well thought of at Preston, and if he hadn’t had 6 months left on contract, he’d cost quite a bit more I think. I’m cautiously optimistic he’ll show better than a cheap warm body found at end of window when we were desperate, but time will tell. Be nice to have Fabinho and Henderson in midfield again lol.

2 Likes

Disagree. Not yet anyway. He has to earn his place. Henderson and Nat are the pairing, then with Fab back, Nat will drop to the bench (unless Klopp wants Henderson in midfield).

But Ben Davies will be on the bench and come on before R Williams. And regardless, if this season is anyting to go by, he’ll probably have to come on 10 minutes into the Shitty game after yet another injury.

3 Likes