Benfica vs Liverpool, (CL QF Away 1st Leg) @ Estádio da Luz (The Original One), 20h00 GMT, Tues 05 Apr 2022

We do know if the Vidal red card happened, it didn’t!

Yeah, Sanchez. :joy:

Jesús Gil Manzano from Espana is the ref, not the bold one who thinks that everybody in the stadium is only there to see him but a younger bloke. Don’t know him, let’s hope for the best.

1 Like

No injuries! Klopp’s 4d chess moves over the international break pay dividends! Keita/Jones/Trent all training.

Personally I’d go strong, get a lead and then start to rest.

Alisson

Gomez - Konate - Van Dijk - Robertson

Henderson - Fabinho - Thiago

Salah - Firmino - Diaz

Keita back training and Origi a good few minutes late for the warm up… nothing new.

:joy:

1 Like

Trent needs minutes to play himself back into match sharpness. I say set the dogs on these fucks, go into the second leg up 4 or 5 already and make it a formality. City to draw 1-1 with Atletico at the Emptyhad, forcing Pep into some uncomfortable choices on Sunday.

3 Likes

Was more thinking give him 30 minutes against a tired team.

Pep is already going off on one, he’ll end up playing Ederson as a striker.

2 Likes

Where’s Big Div when we need him…?

1 Like

Most suavest , goodlooking, player in the PL on LFCTV right now…

I’d be looking at a bit of rotation in both Benfica games tbh. Those games are sandwiched in between two games against City. We need our first 11 against City, we don’t against Benfica. We’re not at a point anymore where rotation = throwing the game. With the United game following shortly after these 4 games, the two games against Benfica look like the ideal ones to switch out 3 or 4 of our ‘cup final’ 11.

I’m a bit uneasy about the amount of luck Benfica had in the previous round.

I would prefer if Gomez starts and Trent gets a bit more time to recuperate. There’s so many important games on the line.

4 Likes

I think Joe’s filled in very well for Trent to be fair ,

3 Likes

Just make a point about Inter, didn’t we hit the bar and post 4 times.

I know the old forum had a massive thread about why we were doing that during the Dalglish era but that was just a bit crazy.

1 Like

Allison

Gomez
Konate
VVD
Robertson

Fabinho
Hendo
Thiago

Salah
Jota
Mane

5 days to City. Play this cagey, Bobby, Diaz, TAA and Keita in contention for minutes if this looks comfortable.

Hopefully Salah scores and ends the needless questioning of his form, commitment etc. When big players are required he will be there.

I really don’t subscribe to hoping City players are injured vs Atletico…but I really hope they KNOW they are in a game.
Big week, but they all are now.

2 Likes

For me, it is Gomez and Matip to start…
Trent comes on at half-time/ish, Matip comes off with Gomez moving to partner Virgil…
Tune the boys up and keep the first choice eleven fresh for Fraudiola

3 Likes

My hope is that Atletico get a result - a draw or a goal in it. That way City know that they have a big game shortly after us which doubles the pressure.

7 Likes

Would be good if the Cheaters fail to score… Another thing to play on their mind for Sundays encounter

5 Likes

If origi didn’t have that ounce of laziness he would probably have been more than just a cult hero. Oh well…

1 Like

The tired old trope…

This will be like playing Atletico Madrid. All the dark arts will be deployed by Benfica and they will slow the game down any opportunity they get. Hopefilly the referee will see through any antics they try on.

On paper we should be comfortable, but this is a quarter final, so i know to expect nothing but a hard graft, potentially ugly game to come away with anything.

1 Like