Benfica vs Liverpool, (CL QF Away 1st Leg) @ Estádio da Luz (The Original One), 20h00 GMT, Tues 05 Apr 2022

:man_facepalming: hardly a trope (and not trolling either), klopp and his teammates have joked about it. It doesn’t mean he’s a bad guy or not a cult hero. It means I have a huge amount of respect for his natural talents but I wish he could have been a superstar (in the same vein as ‘who would you buy’)

1 Like

Still think the guy has natural talent but it’s been a number of factors, that injury did not help, I remember seeing him play for the Belgium team and he the stage running.

If you want a big goal he has delivered but then he has started matches and actually ran away from the ball. I think we both move on but I wish him all the best and thank him for the memories.

1 Like

It’s literally been one mention in one video without any context and it keeps getting repeated. It wasn’t Jürgen either. Not going to get too far into this in this thread, you can go look in his thread. Suffice to say if he was lazy, (a) he wouldn’t be getting games at all, and (b) he would have been sold a long time ago.

4 Likes

No worries mate. I take back my offhand comment.

2 Likes

Good point. The most important game could actually be the one we’re not in. A win for Athletico gives Pep a hell of a headache.

1 Like

Any result that isn’t conclusive will, ignore Inter and what is a slight fluke result the emphasis is for them to win at least by 1-0 if not 2-0 anything more and the tie is probably finished anything less and it plays on their mind and puts more pressure on them before their cup tie.

If we don’t lose I think that’s not a bad result but a win and it’s pretty much something we can forget about til the following week.

3 Likes

He’s not.

We’ve tried.

Maybe not lazy but lots of his teammates have referred to his laid back attitude

1 Like

His 5 goals this season suggest otherwise.

Jürgen has said no one wanted to meet our valuation. If we really wanted to get rid, he would be gone.

Which is what I’m talking about. He’s laid-back, but Milner himself has said that he’s hardworking, he just seems to be on a different plane of existence. Specifically mentioned how Origi is always neither early nor late, just arriving precisely on time for team meetings and training. Pretty good reflection of what he’s like on the pitch too.

Well he does have to take his time to bring fireworks for the little hobbitses

Pyrotechnics at the Emptihad let’s go!

1 Like

So he’s a wizard?

1 Like

Would certainly explain how he’s had some banging moments while being relatively anonymous…

Strong team for this, it’s the QF of the CL, and with a fair wind (taking nothing for granted though) we might put it beyond them for the second leg. Still, you beat what is in front of you, so a strong team for this one.

Given the age of their central defenders, and lack of pace, I would probably sit Bobby out for this one. His game might be more effective against Man City, as his eye for space and a little pass might be telling.

I would unleash Diaz, Mane and Salah and bring Jota on around the 60 min mark and he is such an intelligent player I expect him to score even with only 20-30 mins.

I think Konate will partner Virg, as Matip is slightly more disciplined in positioning, which will be crucial against Man City.

The midfield is the big conundrum. It won’t be the same three players starting against Benfica and Man City, as our midfielders put a big shift in. How Klopp approaches that will be fascinating to see.

Ideal would be a 3-0 away win and Man City being held, or even losing 1-0, at home. Also, you don’t want to wish injury on players, but I would be happy if they are frustrated to the max by Atletico’s dark arts, while also picking up a knock or two to nurse along for the run in.

4 Likes

Jota and Mané one yellow away from suspension.

Leave City to worry about their own game.

All we need here is more of the same, professional win, a goal or 2 and jobs a good 'un.

Or alternatively Smash them…etc.

2 Likes

Does this get reset after the Quarters or does it continue all the way through to the final? I can’t see either of them going many games without another yellow…

I’d play Diaz tonight regardless I think he could be a threat on familiar territory

3 Likes

No Kelleher in the pictures of the squad landing in Lisbon

Luiz Diaz has never lost against Benfica in 7 games - 5 wins, 2 draws.

5 Likes

There you go start him

4 Likes