Breaking News Thread

I get it when there are peaceful protests and strikes to shut down the city to make a point. But essentially committing a crime? Two wrongs do not make a right, as cliches go.

1 Like

What a time for King Charles to be making his first State visit. :grimacing:

I agree. But when a population grows angry, this type of violence tends to appear. If by any chance, people get injured or killed by the police during the protests these next days, the situation could get out of hand completely. Macron is literally playing with fire these days.

1 Like

There’s another way to view this. Many years of watching Top Gear give me various phrases to throw in. None of which will be well received……

He’s just getting revenge for all the lamb burning.

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

Stage is set for the far right to take control.
Bad news for Europe.

Postponed. If I was a monarch I’d avoid Paris in riots as well.

1 Like

Fixed

Maybe he’ll ask Harry and Meghan to stand in for him.

I’m due for a trip to Paris the week after next. Honestly dunno yet if I’ll be able to get there at all… :see_no_evil:

If it’s the UK you’re more likely to get some tutting, a few moans and several strongly worded letters to the papers. :man_shrugging::nerd_face:

1 Like

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way…

Pink Floyd

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered about people in England and their relationship to the authorities. Do you people have more resilience than for instance the French? Or are you more obedient, or just more lethargic? The legendary English composure? :man_shrugging:

In my humble opinion, and looking in from the outside, the scandalous behaviour of your political authorities since a few years warrants a lot more reaction from the population than what we’ve seen.

4 Likes

:joy::clap::clap:

1 Like

I call BS @Maria

Okay, well spotted. I still thought the farmers were quite innovativecin their approach on the counter attack!!

1 Like

On Twitter, general view i am seeing is " we should be more like the French" when protesting.

The French, whenever the Government brings out a new rule.

Israeli PM Binyamin Netanyahu to address the nation in ten minutes time after a night of wildcat protests following his sacking of the Defence minister who spoke out against his plans for judicial reforms. He’s widely expected to announce a freeze on the bill currently making its way through the Knesset.

His far right coalition allies had said they would oppose any moratorium on the legislation , so there is the possibility that the new government could collapse.

Edit: The announcement has been delayed/postponed while Netanyahu wrestles with members of the coalition. As well as Likud members urging a freeze , it’s also reported some far right members are adopting the position.

Nevertheless , the Religious Zionist Party responsible for the Bill , have this morning passed it through committee , even in the face of what now looks like a General Strike.

3 Likes

A spontaneous one at that, no?

It would appear so. The sacking of the Defence Minister seems to have mobilised the whole of Israeli society against the measures. (Apart of course from the religious extremists who were co-opted by Netanyahu in the first instance to push it through.)