Breaking News Thread

Death isn’t a punishment.

2 Likes

Or a deterrent.

7 Likes

It’s a wider conversation to debate whether or not we want state sponsored executions. That’s not something I would like to see, and feels like a step backwards.

Edit
Hopefully there will be a thorough inquiry, and whatever lessons can be learned, must be learned to try to stop something like this happening again.

I also agree that she should not have had the option to be absent, both in facing the parents as they made their statements, and also standing before the judge as the sentence was handed down.

Finally, hopefully there will be better screening and testing to sift out dreadful candidates, or assessing the mental health of employees periodically, and probably more cameras around the place, keeping an eye on the babies.

4 Likes

Why can’t the defendant…who has just been found guilty…be kept in the dock…whilst the judge refers to sentencing guidelines…then the judge comes back into court and delivers the sentence…guilty party then toddles of to HMP…or am I missing something…

They are trying to rush through a new law… so the guilty are sentenced while still standing in the dock

2 Likes

It’s the ultimate punishment. Quite literally.

No, that’s living in comparative luxury for life.

No it isn’t. But I’m not going to get into a discussion about something when I know you won’t listen.

5 Likes

Nope.
Break her feet so she hobbles around in constant pain until they heal.
Then break them again, and again, and so on

That’s just Misery……

Oh true but the idea that ending the only thing you truly own isn’t a punishment is laughable. I’m all for torture and medieval sentences for the absolute monsters of society. As I’ve mentioned MANY times before. @cynicaloldgit I always listen (read) it just takes more than “yes it is, no it isn’t” to be persuasive.

Just playing along, but let’s go with your view and have a state sponsored execution.

It ends it for the guilty party, decisively, and that is that.

They don’t have to live for the rest of their lives (for this one potentially many, many years) in the knowledge of what they have done. We bring it to swift conclusion for them, which seems more like a release to me, and definitely not a punishment.

No anguish. No reflection. No living with the thoughts of what you had done.

If someone is killed by the state, it prevents a possible opportunity, too. Perhaps over the course of time, through meetings with suitable professionals and so on, there might be an opportunity for understanding to grow - understanding the mindset, the circumstances, and all manner of other things that could be helpful, moving forward, to stop others doing something like this?

State execution just seems barbaric to me.

3 Likes

Nope. Not me. This falls into the worst of the worst crimes for me.

I feel so sorry for the parents who lost their babies under her murderous care. How are they going to come to terms with their loss?

There were warning signs by doctors and other nurses about this woman, but higher authorities ignored or refused to listen the warnings.

3 Likes

Absolutely. As father of three prem babies who all relied upon the care of brilliant dedicated nurses in the NICU - and are now big, strong, bright 8 and 6 year olds - I can only imagine how soul destroying it would be to have a child die to negligence/an omission or not being able to survive due to natural causes. Having a nurse actively killing the most innocent and helpless neonates fighting for their lives is just unthinkable and unbearable.

7 Likes

I was born premature, was in a incubator for 4 months. If it wasn’t for the dedicated nurses and doctors, i wouldn’t be here today. The doctor told my parents , i may live a few days, but he said never give up.

8 Likes

I really don’t think the discussion about whether or not to force someone like her to attend the sentencing is being properly represented.

She said she wasn’t going to go…ok. It follows then that some degree of force would need to be used, and perhaps that there is a decent chance she would have said something upsetting.

What would the impact have been on the victims’ parents, people who have already been through something I cannot even properly comprehend? Can you think of something worse happening to a parent? I can’t, and the consensus seems to be to put them in a situation where further trauma is a strong possibility?

I don’t know the answer, but I’m pretty sure ‘just make them’ isn’t it.

5 Likes

I’d add to the above…

I am sure there are victims’ families out there that would want to see the person they hate most in the world kicking and screaming like a caged animal. And I’m sure there are others that would find such a spectacle repugnant beyond words. At the end of the day, their voice in this is the only one that matters, not yours or mine, and I just don’t know how you could account for that in the processes.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1694324846140755981?s=20

Driven through here many times. I tried to get along the M57 on Saturday morning and it was closed because of floods…

1 Like

I just had this news story pop up on my phone:

“Ali Bongo Under House Arrest”

It’s concerning stuff but at the back of my mind I was thinking this was the bloke who used to pop up on the Paul Daniels show.

On a different stream of consciousness I now have the phrase “Ali Bongo’s good at contortionism, he’s much better than David Nixon ever was” stuck in my mind.

Anyway, the political situation in Francophone Africa is looking increasingly worrying.