Breaking News Thread

I’m intrigued by this story, as in this case apparently they’re doing it at least because Bongo was engaged in electoral fraud?

If I were anyone NATO-aligned, I’d be very worried about Russian meddling in Africa.

EDIT: Based on the BBC coverage at least, the move seems to be rather popular with Gabonese.

3 Likes

Exactly, the west seems to be ignoring what the Russians are up to in Africa.

1 Like

I worry about any major powers meddling in African countries affairs. They rarely intervene for benevolent reasons.

The worry is that when several countries are destabilised there is a risk of this spreading to neighbours.

1 Like

Flotida about to take another battering. @Limiescouse you going to avoid it?

1 Like

Here it comes, run away…

Far enough away from us that we had some wind and rain that made the dogs sit in the windows barking into thin air last night, but all appears to have moved passed us already. Still, it’s not yet September so its going to like this for another month now.

We were in Disneyworld when Charlie blew through, that was an “experience”. Amazing how quickly everything was back to normal for the tourists and conversely for the locals.

It obviously depends. I was without power for 2 weeks after Charley but you could see lots of lights coming back on all over downtown even before the night was down. It was just one of those luck of the draw things on how the outage affects how the power gets to your location.

And of course that has always been the argument for the autonomous control of the Reedy Creek neighborhood. In that once the storm passed the utility company can get to work addressing their outages without having to prioritize a commercially important entity like Disney because they will be sending their own crews out to work on their own infrastructure.

Epcot and MK were open next day. And spotlessly clean. Was incredible to see.

Week after we left NY in 2012 Hurricane Sandy hit.
We were on the 38th floor of the hotel we stayed in and my missus wouldn’t use the balcony it was so windy.

FIFY

1 Like

I hate this thread

Was never sure why this was/is a thing. Rich/Fairly affluent people doing what they can afford.

not quite sure that’s how it works.

Sorry you missed the point.

I didn’t. the idealogy behind Burning Man’s “origins” isn’t where it is now, unfortunately.

You could say that about any party/festival.

Aren’t people allowed to have a good time?

No, one can never be seen to be having fun.

I will leave it at that.

Thanks, I shall adjust my behaviour accordingly.