Breaking News Thread

I’ll do my best but absolutely no guarantees ! :rofl:

1 Like

Events from today in not a perfect chronological order, one source at a time:

That’s it for now. Many other sources, but much of the same, so won’t post that.

However, I regret to inform that it looks like the escalation in Ukraine is increasing. A lot of incoming and outgoing artillery fire in Donetsk today as well as signs of more Russian force deployment. Despite what is happening in Khazakstan, there is absolutely no sign that it has any bearing on what is happening around Ukraine. According to US intel, Russia has “imminent” plans to drastically increase the force posture there. Some salt needed as always, but the train is still moving in a bad direction with no signs of stopping.

2 Likes

So much for “Western” influence, sounds more to me like Russian intervention going on to ignite the protests as a casus belli…

1 Like

This is from yesterday, but shows the situation in areas where there is no riots and rebellions. People there are affected heavily:

Looking more and more like this is really two conflicts in one, a less than peaceful changing of the guard, combined with unrest coming from below.

1 Like

In the Eastern Military District, Irkutsk in Siberia; they are generating new Battalion Tactical Group’s, often abbreviated as BTG’s. Those are offensive maneuver formations with integrated tanks and artillery in motorised battalions.
And they are moving West. Until now, mostly we have seen forces around Ukraine coming from the Southern, Central and Western Military Districts. So it is some what note worthy that they are generating new BTG’s in Siberia and have them on trains moving westwards now today:

This coincides with more shelling in Donetsk and the Separatists mobilised (a couple of weeks ago) some time ago and started training civilians in seperatist controlled areas in the use of artillery amongst other weapon systems before Christmas. Today is Orthodox Christmas by the way. Of note is the fact that Pro Russian sources claim that also the LNP (Luhansk)frontline is loud with the noise of incoming and outgoing today. That frontline has been fairly silent, mostly just the Donetsk front-line that has had active shelling.

Mind you, the shelling does not necessarily mean a thing. It’s tit for tat, and the Seperatists and the Ukrainians plague each other with shelling now and then, although it has increased. The Russian columns on trains are more worrying, although correlation between the two of course not good. So I am not saying it will kick off, just that it is going in that direction still.

2 Likes

Yes, although what is happening in Khazakstan does not necessarily affect what is happening around Ukraine. It can however perhaps trigger political decisions that again triggers the rest of the domino pieces. But I would be cautious. Everyone is trying to read their own crystal balls concerning this and many of them will be defunct. So imo hard to be categorical (some think tanks are too categorical in my view).

I was not remotely thinking about any connection between Ukraine and Kazakhstan, just what is going in Kazakhstan. That is complex enough by itself.

1 Like

Ah, yes, of course. I misunderstood your sentence. And yes, I agree wholeheartedly on both your current and former post !

BOOM.

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

So no longer colonel of Royal Pervy Choppers Regiment?

So he’ll be off to the Tower then?

You know that thing about them all being lizards? There just might be something in it :lizard::thinking:

Do people actually care?

i.e. should it not be in the “non-breaking”/less urgent news section?

It’s going to be the headline in every newspaper in the world tomorrow morning so I think it qualifies for this thread!

1 Like

Yes but there is nothing to see here - just another rich guy who will get away with it (allegedly).

It’s literally just been announced… :confused:

It’s pretty unusual, you have to admit? Surely! The official statement says he’s “defending this case as a private citizen”. If he really is going to fight it the Queen has pretty much said “not in my name”. If he settles, his reputation is fucked and that impacts on the monarchy. If he defends it’s going to be the biggest royal shitshow since ‘It’s A Knockout’.

Do lizards sweat?

:thinking:

1 Like

Too parochial? Yes, you can argue it will titillate the masses across the pond - but not really that much.