Breaking News Thread

3 Likes

It would be pretty appalling, and indeed a disgrace for the UK, but in a sense makes the Iranian action that much more worse. I assumed there was some sort of thin cloth of genuine suspicion on the Iranian side.

Very similar to the debt the US owed Iran, and for pretty much the same issues…they’d paid for weapons we never delivered but didnt give them their money back either. Us finally giving the money back was a requirement for them signing onto the JCPOA, which is where the (fake) criticism comes from that Obama bribed them with bags of cash to sign it. However, the point here is that the US settled this debt with them in 2015. Given the UK were signatories on the deal I’m stunned to hear we were still holding back on giving them their money back.

2 Likes

Apparently so - I’ve since had time to read a bit more about it.

1 Like

Yep, exactly the same as the US situation. Dating back to arming the Shah and then renegging on the deal without refunding them after the revolution. The withholding of the money was deemed illegal by the ICC and so we agreed to repay it as part of the diplomatic outreach over the nuclear deal, but on the proviso that all remaining hostages were released (4 of them).

1 Like

Yep. That’s my understanding of it. Guess who is up to their neck in this one.

Every single minister since 1976?

2 Likes

Current government.

1 Like

It’s the current government that’s finally sorting it.

1 Like

Oh dear. Best you look back at what happened in 2017 and subsequently.

Current government in office since 2019? :thinking:

For some reason you’re giving a free pass to all the administrations in office between 1996 and 2017. No idea why…

I see that one issue that prevented resolution, it is claimed in the Guardian article, was that EU sanctions meant the debt couldn’t be paid. Does this mean that being able to finally secure the release of British hostages held by Iran is another Brexit benefit…? :wink:

1 Like

I’m doing no such thing. What has happened here has been abhorrent but there was a step change in 2017 where the then foreign secretary opened his gob and I think it resulted in her sentence being used to double her sentence.

That same minister has then ignored all pleas until recently including her husband going on hunger strike last year.

Pretty sure you can figure out who it is now.

1 Like

There was a magnitude 7.4 earthquake late last night in Japan. It was in the same general area of the big one in 2011.
ATM only 2 fatalities and 126 injured.

The epicenter was out at sea, so there hasn’t been a great deal of damage. Of course there was a tsunami alert, but nothing came of it.

Although I am over 600 kilometers from there, the quake made the chandelier in the living room sway a bit. I daresay people living in Miyagi and Fukushima had a very nervous night.

3 Likes
5 Likes

800 jobs gone amid losses of £100M year on year.

Sorry but this boils my piss.

Truss and her boss actively ignored all pleas from her family and her husband’s hunger strike on their front doorstep not so long ago.

I’m pleased it’s over for the family but this is jumping on a photo opportunity after doing f all for years. It’s shallow as …

1 Like

Some retarded comments on twitter about how this wouldn’t have been possible under EU law :roll_eyes:

Did the 3rd testicle grow on your arm, the injection site or somewhere else?

Unfortunately not. It grew somewhere not so easy to conceal

Ffs Lol GIF by Xtreme Fitness

1 Like