Breaking News Thread

They hardly pay the teachers anything, schools don’t have budgets for that kind of security

Paxson is a corrupt asshole anyway. He’s been under investigation for more than a year now

The gun laws in US are crazy.

Much longer than that

1 Like

Just reinforces my view that Texas is a generally unsavoury place

1 Like

I was in Italy with a state-level Connecticut school administrator when Sandy Hook happened (she is the wife of an academic I was working with at the time).

To say she was devastated would be the most ridiculous of understatements.

Her take…this is just what America is on that particular issue. She said that the chances of meaningful change are simply so remote they are effectively non-existent.

Constitutional Carry - an expansion of gun rights laws that allow open carry without a license, which means no training or other requirements that must be met. Recently passed in Texas and something DeSantis has recently promised he will get done in Florida before the end of his term and his pushing his legislature to write the bill.

In what sort of world does a school need the “security” designed to protect against this? FWIW though, there were two armed officers at the school who engaged with this shooter before he even made it into the school and they still couldnt stop him. The Good guy with a gun fever dream is a complete fabrication.

3 Likes

Enlightened??? I wouldn’t think so. As far as I know, Texas is a country historically based on genocide, murder, and the strongest ruthlessly eliminating the weaker ones.

1 Like

How many times have we seen stories like this coming from the USA every few years? My heart goes out to the parents who going bury their children. RIP young ones! Condolences to the families.

3 Likes

An excellent point that needs to be emphasised.

1 Like

Maybe arm the school monitors/prefects also - to have more good guys?

p.s. being facetious as there is just no serous(meaningful) way to think of this

Somehow , wifey keeps pulling me into seeing this johnny depp - amber heard trial. That’s like her latest soap opera.

I just don’t know who comes off worst in these stuff.

The idiodic public sucked into to watching this shite would be my guess

5 Likes

I would rather do anything but watch this. The little i have seen of this trial while having dinner suggests that both camps perjured themselves and floated multiple lies

Both abused each other and you cant call anyone as the victim. That said , Depp is in this to get himself declared innocent by the public.

Heard, by an absolute mile.

I saw a piece the other day from a guy whose focus is right wing SM rage amplification, and he was documenting how this is a story being pushed by that same network. I have no idea why. Advancing the idea of male persecution?

1 Like

FIG, bunch of dicks

Does this really go against the sporting application of the GFA? This is far more like telling a footballer they cannot switch to Ireland after after having representing a British nation than it is telling them they cannot make the choice.

The GFA allows NI nationals to consider themselves Irish or British (Northern Irish), interchangeably. Its entirely their prerogative as protected by international treaty.

A footballer cannot represent Ireland in one round of world cup qualifiers and NI in the next. The GFA does not allow for that sort of switching. This seems aligned with that approach. It still allows the athletes to chose, just not switch back and forth.