Breaking News Thread

only because the airlines are permitted to string their flights far too close together. They simply don’t allow for any variances due to delays. I watched a flight get cancelled because the airline had booked the crew on back-to-back flights on a return trip and due to delays on the tarmac at the origin flight the crew would have run out of hours on the return leg. so the entire flight gets cancelled.

The entire industry is in a shambles right now. Still thousands of bags sitting in airports not being connected to their owner due to lack of staffing. I know of one bag that’s still missing from a flight on Dec 11 from Calgary to Vancouver.

Not sure whether this is breaking or non breaking… But does it come as a surprise to New Zealanders?

3 Likes

Was going to post this. What’s your opinion @ISMF1

I am disappointed to see her go but cautiously optimistic.

There are few politicians I admire and she is one. Along with Obama I put her as one of the best in my lifetime. Our Covid-19 response was superb to the extent many kiwis don’t realise how lucky we were. Having lived in the UK most of my adult life, it’s my first experience of a government that felt like it was putting people first.

Unfortunately there are four elements that have caused her popularity to wane. Inflation, house prices, a weak party (talent pool not deep). There is a also a vocal minority (supported by main paper) that feel we made a big fuss about nothing when it came to covid :roll_eyes:

We were on track to have a national government. A party that seemingly looks to the UK conservatives for inspiration. Appeals to over 50s and have a historic reputation for being fiscally responsible (despite a moral compass that would see them sell their own grandmother) .

Chris Hipkins is a good replacement for Ardern. Very relatable. Comes across as your average kiwi bloke. Also known for being hard working and getting stuff done. With the election in October it’s going to be 50:50 if it’s a national or labour government.

3 Likes

Heard this on the radio on my way to the gym this morning and thought that this will be all over in the news all day but strangely it wasn’t.

Monterey Park shooting: Suspect found dead after dance studio attack - BBC News
California police have identified the gunman suspected of killing 10 people in a ballroom dance studio near Los Angeles as Huu Can Tran, 72, who was later found dead in a white van.

He had a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was declared dead at the scene, LA County Sheriff Robert Luna said.

Half Moon Bay: Seven dead in second California shooting in days - BBC News
A gunman killed seven people before being arrested in California on Monday, just two days after a shooting claimed 11 lives at a popular dance hall.

The latest attacks occurred at two separate locations in the coastal city of Half Moon Bay, about 30 miles (50 km) south of San Francisco.

The attacker was identified as 67-year-old Zhao Chunli, a local resident.

1 Like

Wonder what’s going on as that’s the second older shooter. Not just some deranged kid for a change.

1 Like

We were saying the same when chatting earlier :frowning_face:

1 Like

I think whether young or old, I think probably the constant is that there are plenty of pent up emotions or incidents that led to this kind of tragedies. And such people are present in every society and country. But America is the country that makes it legal for these people to act on their frustration easily by buying a gun and kill many people at switch of a trigger.

2 Likes

Things just get worse and worse for the Met.

1 Like

That Chief Constable(?) should be hung drawn and quartered. What a useless pile of shit!
It amazes me that the press don’t say this, it was her behind all this and she stayed on whilst women were being attacked by her officers. That she’s gone doesn’t absolve her of blame, surely!
The whole lot should be gotten rid of and the Met reformed under a different name and set of ‘laws’. ‘Defund the police’!

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know what the alternative is now for the Met other than just wiping it clean and starting again. It’s not a few bad apples. It’s a deeply ingrained culture of misogyny and sexual deviance.

4 Likes

They all have nick names that would be worrying in a prison. This should be a much bigger scandal than it is. I really just can not get my head around what anyone is thinking in the UK. There should be protests everyday in London.
It’s a completely unfathomable culture to me!

4 Likes

Still more in the pipeline and that’s just what they’ve found so far

2 Likes

It does sound like they are trying to sort it out but I suspect the cultural problems go right to the top. I do wonder if they would be better off creating a new structure in a similar way to how PSNI replaced the RUC.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this was posted on here

But this has to be part of the problem.

2 Likes

The problem is that calls to defund the police will actually make matters worse. Less funding would see pay cuts for officers that are already got serious questions about their character, and less money would only encourage them into more dodgy practices and corruption/bribes

What the solution is though, I have no clue

1 Like

I’m not sure @Mascot is talking about defunding the police so much as complete organisational overhaul.

In any case, the problems in the US are not the same as the problems here.