Bundesliga / German NT

Listened to an interview with Josko Gvardiol, who Leipzig bought from Dinamo Zagreb last summer (Leeds were their main rivals for his signature, but the lad picked Leipzig because he thought it would be better for his development at this stage) and let him out on loan at Dinamo for 6/12 months. A big deal that also came as a bit of a surprise, since he didn’t even play much for Dinamo’s first team. Must’ve been heavily scouted in youth teams, maybe some performances in the UEFA Youth League where Dinamo had very good results. Admitted that they basically said to him that he’s Upamecano’s future replacement. Though Gvardiol is a left footed LCB who can also act as a LB in a formation that variates between 4 and 3 at the back, which Leipzig often do. They didn’t know if Upamecano would leave in January, that’s why the lad remained on loan. But it seems certain at Leipzig since last summer that this is Upamecano’s last season there. We’ll see what happens with both him and Konate.

1 Like

World Club Cup semifinal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4n_uJyIjYI

1 Like

Bayern are playing Tigres tonight in the Club World Cup Final. They have the chance to win their 6th trophy of the season.

Goretzka and Martínez didn’t travel.

Boateng left the squad yesterday because his former partner committed suicide.

And now Müller was tested positive for Covid.

Last chance for Schalke. Karius is set to start against them on Saturday :see_no_evil:

1 Like

That’s a shame, Gikiewicz just saved a nice pen v Leipzig but they’re calling a retake bc he was off the line. Leipzig put the second chance away.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure a few of our Germany-based friends hinted at this happening a few weeks or months back but it’s now official. I hope he has better luck than his predecessors and that any Haaland and Sancho release clause doesn’t apply to Bayern…

4 Likes

First I thought it was Danny Rose joining Dortmund. :flushed: Then I looked again, it was Marco.

Is he a good coach?

1 Like

Far from being as good as Tuchel but maybe he fits the whole club better than Favre did.

Don’t think he‘ll win them anything.

1 Like

When did Dortmund sack Favre, and why?

2 months ago after they lost 5-1 to Stuttgart. They were concerned about not reaching 2nd or 3rd at the end of the season and now they are 6th with 6 points behind to the CL spot :grinning:

1 Like

I doubt if Dortmund even thinks about winning a trophy after Klopp left. They are just focused on qualifying for Champions League and selling their hot stuffs.

Tuchel would have won them at least 2 or 3 trophies if it wasn’t for the ‘problems’ between him and their CEO.

2 Likes

In this respect, I agree. Jurgen seems to have kept good relations with all his previous clubs. He has very good diplomacy skills and is pragmatic as well. Tuchel seems to have abit of a fiery temperament.

1 Like

Marco loves Jürgen. Calls him his mentor and credits him for just about everything to do with his professional perspective and identity.

5 Likes

Frankly, I see Tuchel the way I see Pochettino, talented but lacking the end product. Hopefully I’m right :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bayern is trying so hard to keep the league interesting. Draws at home with Bielefeld. :joy:

1 Like

Was expecting this.They just came back from the club World Cup and have many injuries.

Expecting them to drop points at the weekend again. They will be playing against in-form Eintracht Frankfurt and i can see them resting some of the remaining players for the CL.

Hope Lazio will kick them out.

5 Likes

Dortmund in real trouble if they don’t make top 4.

Rose could be working with a lot of changes in the roster from next summer on.

1 Like

Upamecano definitely looks to me like he should “lose the beach body”, like Klopp said to Gomez when he first met him.

1 Like

I don’t think Upamecano is a bad player I’ve just always thought he’s really overrated, And have maintained that. But he’s still only 22 and I can understand why he chose Bayern at this stage of his career.

2 Likes