Bundesliga / German NT

Yeah, the word is that he’s some sort of a CB covering at full back. Or at least a more defensive full back.

Seems like Sky have got Bundesliga and are sticking anything that’s not Munich or Dortmund on their app :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A lot of excitement for Hertha kicking off their season today v Köln. Almost every player back healthy and a renewed sense of optimism from top to bottom at the club. No “splash” signings this summer but they added underrated quality. Suat Serdar has been outstanding this preseason. I have a feeling he can regain the form of 2 seasons ago when PL clubs was recruiting him.

3 Likes

So I watched yesterday’s Dortmund-Frankfurt game. Dortmund look like they’ll be a ton of fun this season, based on the two games they’ve played. Absolute counter-attacking machine.

High ball tempo, high press, counter-press, forward passing, you name it. It’s basically the return of Klopp football - the football he played with Dortmund, not how we play now. Very similar the way they do offensive transitions now to back then: full steam, lots of players running forward, few touches, great flow. When you have Haaland spearheading that, it looks pretty amazing. Excellent understanding between him, Reyna and Reus in particular.

Also really nice to see Mahmoud Dahoud becoming something close to the player many thought he would be when he had that breakout season at Gladbach.

3 Likes

That €75m Haaland clause next summer… will be quite a queue.

Chelsea are probably a no-go now with Lukaku in. Let’s assume City gets a striker in this window, possibly Kane. If not, they remain an option. United? Interesting proposition as they look to get back to major honours. Juventus? Ronaldo as things stand will be free next summer, interesting as well. Real? Mbappe is their priority (could still happen in this window), but who knows they might want (think they could bring) both. Bayern? Lewandowski is there until 2023, so it depends if they want to have or even can have both for a year together. Barca look stacked. Obviously it also depends on what Haaland wants to do. I quietly hope he doesn’t choose staying in Germany or going to France (PSG).

Us? Difficult, but who knows, maybe we could have a think. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

@Zoran It does look like a bit of a steal at the moment. Like you say, most of the big clubs would probably be interested at that price.

Now, I have thought - and still do to a degree - that in order to really get the most out of him, he should play in a team where he isn’t expected to be a big part of how they build attacks. His situation at Dortmund is perfect, I don’t think he’ll ever be in a better setup than what he has now.

I don’t really see him as a natural option for City based on playing style, and if they get Kane that should mean they won’t be interested. There has been development in his link play, but for me not to the degree you’d expect from a striker in a team as possession dominant as City. But of course, you never know. If they don’t get Kane, it could maybe change their thinking.

ManU look like the best fit for him of the PL clubs. If you have Sancho, Fernandes and Pogba feeding him…that would be an absolute disaster, hadn’t thought of that. It can’t happen. Hopefully his father has passed on the bad feelings towards them. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

As for Liverpool, it would obviously be a great signing if we look at it in isolation. A player to build the next attack around. But I don’t see him as a good fit with Salah and Jota. Not really with Mane either; they wouldn’t occupy each other’s space in the same way I think Haaland and Salah would, but it doesn’t look like a natural fit to me.

Yeah I know what you mean, he’s certainly not complete, not yet at least.

I was surprised when before the summer some journalists had Lukaku and Haaland as City targets.

United make the most sense (along with probably Bayern, though it also depends on what the kid wants), perhaps they’re opting to wait that extra year and see if they can add one “final” piece to their attack.

As for us, I was thinking IF we slowly change and perhaps have more combining players off the sides, then someone up top, like a real #9, starts to have more sense than now.

1 Like

RIP Gerd Müller, you were my Dad’s favourite foward. A huge loss to our inyernational football family. Thank you for all those wonderful goals and memories
TRUE Legen​:broken_heart::pray::heart:

He scored 566 goals in 607 games for Bayern Munich
He won 4 Bundesliga titles and 3 European cups plus scored 4 goals in a World cup and won ballon d’or in 1970.

1 Like

Werner plus 100mil???

@norwegian_wood Dortmund defense, specially CB are just…meh!!!

It would, yes. I’m thinking as long as we have Salah it’s likely we will keep having him as our main man. As we should, he’s one of the best goalscorers in the game and in the prime of his career.

There will probably, at some point, be some type of change in terms of the player types we have out wide vs centrally up front, but the time line doesn’t seem to fit in relation to Haaland. Unless we do something fairly drastic next summer, but that’s extremely hypothetical. For me it looks unlikely at the moment, but we shall see.

1 Like

Sure, their defence isn’t amazing, and less so now with three of them out. I’m talking about their approach and playing style though, and especially attacking transitions. Great to watch :+1:

2 Likes

Mainz 05 beat RB Leipzig (1:0). That was unexpected.

1 Like

Absolutely, although I watched only the highlights.

@CanuckoLFC it was an entertaining game.

1 Like

Jovetic opens his account!

1 Like

I will be surprised if Cunha is still here after the window closes. He clearly has his head turned by bigger clubs and doesn’t want to play at Berlin. His behavior today disappointing. Showing up his teammates, demonstrative if he isn’t getting the ball.

In a vacuum, it happens all the time with players. Cunha is a talent and likely feels he can play at a bigger club. That said, he needs to get a hold of himself while he’s still a Hertha player. Bobic very clear with Cunha and his agent the club simply aren’t going to give him away, the bid has to be right.

1 Like

Romano reported that Atletico are interested in Cunha.

I saw that this morning. He has the talent to play at Atletico but he’s also very immature. Simeone will properly sort that out.

Well that jubilation didn’t last long. 1:3. :man_facepalming:

Rather he not play for any of the other English clubs as I actually rate him compared to say Lukaku, said that about Werner mind so who knows Chelsea do know how to stall a strikers career (Torres anyone?)

1 Like

Torres was already stalled when we sold him.

I think, from memory we were lucky there was no 30 day refund policy on him :wink:

1 Like