'Clear and obvious wrong' Referee decisions - possible title decider

It wasn’t a “goal”. Everyone had stopped.before he teed it up to shoot. Watch it again on MOTD.

Also @PeachesEnRegalia is correct. You are wrong. You have conveniently ignored the fact that the other one was an offence by the attacking player who blocked Ederson’s distribution by standing right in front of him. Check the laws of the game.

LAW 12.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the
opposing team if a player, in the opinion of
the referee:

prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands.

The general principle is that an opponent cannot be allowed to be close enough to the goalkeeper to interfere with the release.

You are citing cases as “evidence” which clearly aren’t.

I must remember not to get involved in this stuff any more

So Madrids goal in the CL final should not have stood?

If you don’t want to get involved in future thats fine, but if you are in the debate then expect to be argued against.

Our toys are too old and brittle to be flung out of our prams.

I do really like you mate but you are a challenge :wink:

I guess the Karius incident depends on the distance of the attacking player. Maybe in that incident he was farther away?

Clarification says “opponent cannot be allowed to be close enough to the goalkeeper to interfere with the release”.

It all hinges on what the referee deems as “close enough”. Maybe look at both again and see what you think. Was Benzema as close?

Lots of debate about City’s decision yesterday, but the real shockers were ruling out West Hams equaliser and Newcastles winner.

VAR is going backwards…not forwards.

2 Likes

And I love you, but at times you are wrong.
And I read the rules…and you are correct on allowing the keeper to release the ball. But where you are incorrect is that Ederson had released the ball, hence it is ok for the Palace player to block it off. The ball is in play. As was the Karius mistake, the goal was correctly awarded.

As for being a challenge?!
Fuck it, thats a compliment.

1 Like

It’s pretty hard to remember individual circumstances but I know I’ve seen referees acknowledge the linesman for putting his flag up but not actually award a free kick. When we have VAR for reviews it just seems weird to have to award the free kick immediately.

I’ve only just watched the disallowed West Ham goal, because I couldn’t be bothered watching Match of the Day last night. What a disgraceful decision that was. Mendy is a cheat, the top of Bowen’s boot caught him, but it clearly wasn’t a foul. I thought Mendy had been stabbed by his reaction.

5 Likes

Tuchel thought it was a foul…fucking gremlin

1 Like

I don’t understand how Tuchal or anybody, could argue that was a foul. But we see this type of decision every week and even with VAR, these incompetent referees can’t get it right.

1 Like

then you also have the mitrovic hands all over TAA…i get TAA was too passive, but that doesnt stop Mitrovics hands being illegal

the penalty in the same game was about right, but ive seen plenty trying to suggest that was another one, and even though i dont agree it wasnt a foul, it was very soft.

i dont think the foul on henderson in the same game is relevant to the VAR review, but to me it was a foul.

so you have three SOFT decisions working against us in matchday 1, of which the one that has drawn the least comment is the dodgiest in my mind

Bruno Fernandes should get a second yellow for cuddling the ball…

Diaz gets clattered in the UTD game and not only doesnt get given a free, ends up giving one away.

TAA getting the softest of yellows and having to play 70 minutes on a yellow when others were getting away with FAR worse.

even down to whatever they were trying to prove with reviewing CC last night for so long…i mean, he was fucking offside, how hard can it be?

7 Likes

Yeah, the lines weren’t even close, he was at least a foot off. Didn’t stop the commentators waffling on about the finest of margins, mind you.

3 Likes

i think they were genuinly trying to workout whether
a) Milners toes played him on
b) milners deflection significantly changed the direction of the ball.

i mean…rashfords goal stood against us becuase, you know, ‘it was close and shit so its better to just let things chill dude and be on the level’

1 Like

I hadnt seen that Stones incident against Newcastle, that’s worse than the rest of them. Stonewall penalty if ever I’ve seen one. Not quite as bad as that Ederson one against Newcastle last season, but not far off.

6 Likes

Hmm I’m generally not one to make a point but refs have often ignored the linesman. If the ref hadn’t blown but Man City took their cue form the linesman it may have been interesting but then it’s just a fuck up, the play should finish before a flag is waved however that’s their guidance.

I’m kind of not surprised this is all a bit of a mess, the change in rules aren’t a positive move, the thick lines were fine they have a certain error of judgement so why we went To “tolerance” is anyones guess especially as the new system isn’t far away. Plus the head of refs is effectively been pushed out. You’ve taken possibly one of the clear cut parts of VAR and made it subjective like the rest of VAR.

I’d remove it for everything bar sending offs and offsides if I’m honest, the usual lot bleating yesterday about the passionate Everton celebration but it was clearly offside, not sure why the linesman isn’t flagging on that.

1 Like

Refereeing is going backwards, not VAR. Let’s stop blaming the system for the incompetent numbskulls.

4 Likes

No we havent. The refs are not looking at the lines and determining if it is sufficiently offside to give it. The “tolerance” that is being spoken about just means the system is using thicker lines . Once the lines are drawn it is still a 100% objective and automated decision on whether it is offside.

Well if they are using thicker lines that’s the same as last season so what is the change people have been going on about?

My personal take is it is a cast iron foul and therefore a penalty. But one of my biggest gripes about the prevailing wisdom is that aerial challenges are not judged on the same basis as every other type of challenge. It is not just common, but typical, that a challenge where someone launches themselves to try to win a header, gets no where near it, and clatters the other player is just ignored. Typically there has to be some form of contact to the head with the head or arm. I hate it. It’s dumb and its dangerous, but I had no expectation of that being given as a foul because they almost never are. And no one can make it make sense to me. But this is an issue of the game not refereed the way I think it should rather than the ref getting wrong.

Precisely.

This is Dale Jonhson analyzing an incident from last season Dec 2021, talking about the new added tolerance that comes from thicker lines.

This is Johnson’s analysis of the Rashford goal. Note, he says it would have been offside in 20-21, not last season. Presumably it’s his use of “last summer” that confuses people. Presumably he is treating it as if he is writing in summer 2022 and so “last summer” was summer 2021. But it’s clear he is saying that the tolerance was added prior to the beginning of the previous season.

Like most things in the footballing zeitgeist related to changes in rules, the conversation is dumb as shit.

I was watching that game yesterday. If it wasn’t for Mendy’s histrionics it wouldn’t have even been looked at. It went to VAR though and took what seemed like an eternity. It was blatantly obvious that Mendy , realising he had fucked up by pushing the ball straight to a West Ham player , and feeling a trailing foot , decided he might as well scream for a foul. He had already played the ball anyway so he wasn’t in any way impeded. I couldn’t believe it took so long before the ref was told to go take a look at it , but once he was I just knew he would probably scrub it because the fourth official must have been insisting to him that there had been an infringement. Et voilà , another absolutely shocking decision. No wonder Moyesy was so pissed off.

3 Likes