Curtis JONES: 2022/23

If Eva Green was a football pass, she’d be Jones’ assist for Jota last night. Is it too much to ask for our players, Jones obviously included, to stay fit?

3 Likes

hopefully he is not jinxed but with game time consistently, he is slowly showing his influence in games and making himself relevant.If he stays injury free, next season, he and Bacjetic would be our great options in what could be a relatively new midfield.

1 Like

The next aspect of his game that I would like to see him improve is releasing the ball/shooting a bit quicker when he’s in and near that inside left channel (had two or three dangerous opportunities for that last night, I thought, but he probably dallied on the ball a bit too long and played the safe option in the end). It will take time but I know he has it in his locker, it’s just about finding consistency throughout the whole side, not just him individually.

That said, aside from one ball he lost in the second half, I thought he showed his true qualities against West Ham - when he’s on his best game, he can’t be pushed off the ball, he can’t be dispossessed, nor scared. He takes responsibility like players who are much more experienced, I like how he “conquers” the pitch yard by yard by alternating clever short passes and carrying the ball for shorter distances.

Having Robertson and Jota on his flank probably helps him a lot, especially in the defensive phase, it has to be said. I wonder if at least a part of his fearlessness stems from that “security” he might feel knowing that these two have his back (and front on the overlap!).

Overall, I’m really pleased by his recent performances and I’m aware that I’m not judging him by the same standards I judge other young players upon - but that’s more of praise than criticism for him because he’s Liverpool born and bred and has all the tools needed to be at least a decent PL player. I won’t apologise for that bias.

Now, the question is whether he can stay fit in the long term. He said recently that he’s not scared of the challenge posed by Liverpool signing new midfielder players - and I genuinely believe him. It seems like Klopp is already preparing the side for the next season, Jones included, and I wonder if we’re seeing him locking down his future midfield role with no further experimentation.

5 Likes

I feel Curtis often holds the ball a bit long to play an intelligent pass while forgoing the opportunity of a simple pass. Make no mistake, he often makes those intelligent passes too. But he needs to mix these up. I guess that will only come with regular pitch time.

I’m really happy that he is strong character and he didn’t give up when all those injuries threatened to derail his career.

1 Like

Fify :wink:

It’s been a long time since the last time I was here. I am aware that Jones has been starting in the last several matches. It seems that Klopp has given up on Top 4 competition, so he is able to freely bet on Jones - and ironically it pays off.

He’s playing him because he’s finally fit and available, which is pretty much what has always defined Jones’ selection since he broke through.

8 Likes

He was again a bright spark one of the least concerning aspects from that.

5 Likes

His experienced “game manager” replacement immediately came on and gave away the foul they scored from!

Fully deserved his goal, been our best midfielder by a country mile in this mini-resurgance.

10 Likes

Only scored the goal because he’s Scouse

5 Likes

Good player. Lovely to see him fit and in the team.

2 Likes

Great to see him fit and playing well.

2 Likes

It’s clearly a tactical instruction.

2 Likes

Don’t they all?

1 Like

Pathetic comment. SMH. Hopefullh it’ll be a long time before you’re next comment.

Those who were saying Curtis should be sold are looking a bit dopey now, aren’t they?

4 Likes

He continues to impress, not saying that he is top class now but if he can finally have an injury free season next, he and Bacjetic will have alot of game time next season. With these 2, and if we sign another 2, then we will have a fresh and fit midfield to go and supported by Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago and Elliot (who may not yet have found his best position). If Milner stays we will have even more experience.

1 Like

100% first midfielder on the team sheet for me, doesn’t treat the ball like a live nuclear warhead, puts in a huge pressing and tracking back shift and scored a worldie.

So glad he’s got fit again, his talent was never in doubt.

4 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/liverpool-have-their-own-bellingham-in-15k-p-w-sensation/ar-AA1aEc1d?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ea8b0f4766f64903860fedfe891ce4e5&ei=51

Connor Bradley is like a new signing. Jones is our own Bellingham.

Animated GIF

Tyler Morton is our Bellingham.

Jones is our Keita and Thiago all in one.

:joy: