Curtis JONES: 2022/23

I get the meme but am I alone in that seeing Bradley, Quansah, Jones and Doak getting into the team would be way more exciting than seeing Mason Mount rock up?

5 Likes

Lol, copium at its finest

Donā€™t rush back.

1 Like

Just stay fit
Just stay fit
Just stay fit

2 Likes

Yup, heā€™s performed well and thankfully considering Keita and Thiago have dropped off and Bajectic became unavailable.

4 games left with reasonable rest time fingers crossed he plays all 4.

To me, him and Bajectic reduce the need for more than two CMs

1 Like

If he stays fit, he can be our next Hendo. One who just does the hard work, never ever gonna get 100% plaudits, but always cannot do without. I even feel he walks like Hendo. Hope he continues to stay fit because the last few games really showed how good he already is and hopefully alot better next season.

Klopp on Jones:

ā€œI think where he improved the most is counter-pressing, itā€™s exceptional, and speed of play.

ā€œLike, he doesnā€™t keep the ball that long anymore. He does that and has to do in moments, but is much quicker in decision-making and stuff like this.ā€

Pretty much what weā€™ve been pointing out for years on these boards. Iā€™m really glad heā€™s getting up to speed (quite literally), hopefully thereā€™s much more to come from him and that his fitness issues are beyond him.

4 Likes

If Curtis played for Dortmund we would have him on our wish list.
I think he has been brilliant for last few games, and will save us a lot of money.

1 Like

He is no longer Curtis ā€œturn to the right, turn to the left, ball goneā€ Jones all the time. The way he play nowadays I like him a lot.

Be some Twitter knobs frantically deleting tweets and claiming to have backed him the whole time after his recent run. Dare I say maybe a few on here too who were writing him offā€¦

A reminder to us all that players can have ups and downs, especially when their rhythm is disrupted by injury.

Great to see him getting a run, growing in confidence and nailing down a spot in the side.

I doubt it makes any difference to our summer business but does give you more confidence that weā€™ve a genuine option in him and heā€™s not just here as bench fodder because heā€™s homegrown.

11 Likes

Itā€™s lovely to see him in the team and playing so well, too.

I think the calculus has changed and we need two midfield signings, not three (although if a third is added in summer, we wonā€™t complain).

The emergence of Jones, Bajcetic and Elliott (who saw a lot of midfield action in a struggling side this season, so his star sort of waned, but he is young and will come again) makes me feel that two good midfield signings is all we need.

Plus a central defender and back up keeper.

Jones is a goal threat, and you need a bit of that from midfield. The pressing is there now, and a bit more maturity to his play, so he is passing quicker and not lingering with the ball as much. I would imagine that trait is hard to shake off if you are a dominant player coming through the ranks, but Curtis Jones is ticking a lot of boxes for us right now.

Well played that lad!

2 Likes

I think there is also the reality that goals change narratives. Jones has been one of our better players throughout this 7 game run and was still getting pelters from people committed to the idea that he wasnt good enough. If the perceptions have changed, its only because of how much more obvious goals are than overall performances.

1 Like

Lovely indeed to see him get a run and perform so well. With him, the talent was there since the off. It was a question of maturity for him, thus a bit of time, to be able to play that midfield role consistently, to develop his vision of the game and to develop enough strength to be able to impose himself in physical battles. Heā€™s now 22 and you can see that it makes a difference when compared with two years ago!

Now, itā€™s a matter of staying fit, and if he can do that, it will be hard for anyone to dislodge him from the team, and heā€™ll be a fantastic asset for us, no doubt about that.

I was made up for him last night. Heā€™s been one of the reasons our form and results have improved since he came back into the midfield. Just the extra energy he brings has lifted us. Heā€™s not only good at counter-pressing but is press-resistant himself. There has obviously been an attempt made to turn him into a Gini-style replacement and he possesses the same under-rated abilities but with added flair and goal-threat. Clearly highly rated by Klopp regardless of what some of our own fans think. Just hope he can stay fit now.

7 Likes

Itā€™s helped for sure but itā€™s not the only aspect.

Even before he popped up with the goals last night and the 1 against Spurs, it was apparent how well he was playingā€¦this get pointed out numerous times during match/post match threads by those who watch games week in week out.

Still got some way to go before he nails down a spotā€¦the 3 in there now are playing well but theyā€™re also the only 3 options we have, certainly not doing his value any harm in the process.

You are not responding to what I said though. I said that despite how clearly well he has been playing in this entire spell heā€™s still received criticism from people who seem committed to the idea that he isnā€™t good enough. If the criticism has stopped its not because his performance was meaningfully better, only that goals shut people up, even if only in the short term.

One bad game and he will get trashed again.

Maybe on the outside but not where our own fans are concerned, no player is free from criticism, itā€™s part and parcel of the gameā€¦theyā€™ll always be questions over a players attitude, talent, ability whatever it may be.

The truth is his performances have been meaningfully betterā€¦& now the consistency has been there too, his ball retention is much improved, his counter press is far more visible with the rest of the team and heā€™s generally more involved in our possession playā€¦pretty much everything else Klopp said about him post match was spot on. The goals have perhaps helped those on the outside or those who donā€™t watch Liverpool games temporarily halt their criticism of him and find their victim to hook onā€¦that I get.

Werenā€™t you claiming he wouldnā€™t play more than five games this season or something ludicrous like that just a few months ago?