Curtis JONES: 2022/23

Yeah well you know…reverse psychology and all that. I like to think those harsh words spurred him on to turn things around before it was too late…didn’t quite materialise for the other 2 but deep down I knew Curtis had it in him :grimacing:

I remember towards the end of Gini’s final season with us, there was a fair bit of data that suggested Jones was a pretty good substitute for that role. I definitely think he’s better closer to goal than Gini, though.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a big believer in the lad, and felt from the start that it was really only his availability that was the issue. Really happy to see him proving his worth.

At the same time we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that this is a good run of form, and he is going to need to maintain it. We still need signings in midfield.

Delighted for the lad, would love to see him be a regular and maybe captain in the future.

I bloody hope not! Sicknote+

Speaking of Gini, I found this particularly interesting.

2 Likes

Good. Now Curtis has to do it 60 games a season.

1 Like

Personally think this is nonsense. IF he stays fit, it’ll have to be some player to take the starting spot off him.

The only thing he’s showing us that we didn’t see before is fitness. His talent was never in question.

3 Likes

Some of these “experts” only watch highlights. Don’t score = didn’t get on a highlight = not playing well.

Garth Crooks’ team of the week is always just a list of players who scored that weekend.

1 Like

Crooks team of the week sometimes has players who don’t play.

I’m really not sure what it is anymore.

Curtis might be playing well now but he is already 22, so our owners need to back Klopp to start buying replacements for him but then our owners are just too cheap to make that happen.

1 Like

If only we had richer ones who’d dump billions in per year.

Think the lad will not be easy to dislodge now,he seems to have matured and has been given opportunities and has grabbed them with both hands.
I’m made up for the lad,as long as he stays fit,sure he’ll have the odd bad game,but if it is just that think we can get used to seeing him on the team sheet.

1 Like

If he keeps scoring… be extremely difficult to leave him out

It’s not just the goals, though. His general play has been really good.

6 Likes

Yes I agree… Goals scored sort of jump off the page more though

Today clearly shows that Jones’ role here will be just a little more than a squad fodder. He is simply not going to cut it against City or Madrid or even Arsenal midfielders.

The youngest starting midfielder in the Manchester City v Real Madrid match on Wednesday was Valverde. He is two and a half years older than Jones.

There’s plenty of time for Curtis to take the next step and establish himself as a top class midfielder; he’s certainly got the ability to do so.

9 Likes

As I said

Look who decided to show up. How the hell does a 22 year old, who has hardly played for two years, have haters?