Curtis JONES: 2023/24

Thanks for the lunchtime comedy.

Jones is back to his old tricks, taking to much time on the ball holding play up and I was hoping that he had left that behind him.

Canā€™t wait to see Thiago back on that lefthand spot in midfield.

Needs to find rhythm again after recovering from injury. Not that Szobo and Gravenberch are great lately either.

Got a nagging feeling that Curtis will never fully become established in a Jurgen Klopp sideā€¦ He needs to impose himself in the games he is given, so he canā€™t be left out if/when fully fit

Probably fair to remove my post BUT check out @Thomas1195ā€™s post history. Why do we have someone on the forum whose only interest is to be negative about one of our players?

Pointless poster, has no interesting insights and adds nothing to the site.

6 Likes

In order to impose himself, he needs to be in rhythm which requires an extended run which in turn requires him to be fit. Thatā€™s his problem. Ever since he broke through, he hasnā€™t had a single season without nagging injuries.

He gets opportunities, he starts playing better, he gets some sort of injury and heā€™s back to square one.

Totally agree he seems a mubsy

2 Likes

The goals were the icing on the cake but the other stuff he did tonight was more important.

Steaming around off the ball with his pressing and winning it back. Always an option for his teammates, always moving into space.

You miss this stuff when heā€™s not there, the other players weā€™ve used in his position havenā€™t done it to anything close to the same level.

2 Likes

I take it Harvey played on the RW in Moā€™s role? I didnt get to watch it so was keeping up through the BBC live commentary and they were raving about Harvey and his ability to find space to receive the ball. They had maybe 3 different contributors commenting on it.

Thereā€™s a big difference between performing well when called upon like this and picking the team up and carrying them with your performances, but with these two the future looks really good.

Just bear with it for a week or two. When it comes to January, he will be busy blasting FSG for not investing in buying players so no time for the players.

Aged Well GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

He did.

West Ham were dreadful, mind, but both players had a big influence on the game. You wouldnā€™t expect them to find it so easy in the league, you very rarely get a team who is so poor off the ball.

With Jones, though, our midfield looking more like a unit with him in it has been a pattern since that run of games at the end of last year. They way he knits it together often goes underappreciated.

Johnson had a good game at left back but Elliot had the nous not to play against him often, instead picking up spaces inside. The overlapping full back helped, but he still needs to find them, and he did so consistently.

1 Like

Yes again people have short memories. He was the best player in our midfield, and arguably in the whole team, end of last season. He has shown what a consistent run can do for him. I always felt he is built and even walks and runs like Henderson, and now he is even dismissed for doing simple but important things very well and one thing he showed tonight that he might be better than Henderson is scoring. 2 wonderful goals.

That red card against Tottenham and subsequent injury really took the wind out of his sails, he was gash in the first few games he played afterwards. I assume that our starting midfield would have looked much better with him and Mac Allister there, Szoboszlaiā€™s form probably wouldnā€™t have taken a hit with them around.

I want to see more consistency from him, hopefully he wonā€™t have any significant injury issues in the future. One thing I noticed from him last night, aside from his constant movement and availability for pass, which are his biggest strengths, is that he was one of our rare players who didnā€™t bloody take two or three touches to successfully trap the ball. If you want to play fast and flowing football, that should be the minimum requirement.

Also, as great as the first goal was (and it was bloody great), that second goal - if that wasnā€™t McManamanā€™s spirit possessing him, I donā€™t know what it was.

I agree, I think Domā€™s form is down to too many minutes.

That Spurs game hurt us in so many ways. Hopefully last night opens the possibilities again.

Thereā€™s a serious element of luck (or the lack of it) with this kid. He has shown immense potential and application throughout his career, but never managed a prolonged run since making it to the senior side. His best was less than 2000 mins in the 20/21 season.

1 Like

We might as well not play him in the other two then.

Not bad for a Make-A-Wish kid.

Are you including youth matches in that? Otherwise not sure where youā€™re seeing that:

In terms of senior matches, itā€™s 29 G/A in 119 appearances.

Yeah, my mistake. It was late!

:joy:

1 Like