Curtis JONES: 2023/24

Any chance for it to be less than 3 games?

Not unless it gets overturned, which it is incredibly unlikely to be

Looking at the incident a few times… and having watched Curtis retrieve the ball from an opposing player lots of times, I think once his foot skidded off the top of the ball… he attempted to ‘scoop’ the ball back into his possession… no malice intended, but it looks bad when viewing that still frame

1 Like

Referees need to have context before making a decision. Intent plays a huge part.

I can even get around VVD red card but Curtis Jones getting sent off for that is a crime.

Referees seem to think of themselves as “gods” who control the fate of a bunch of people who earn a whole lot of money more than them for a period of 90 min. It’s a ego trip for them.

1 Like

It really doesnt. Sure if you just go and wack a guy you’ll likely get sent off for violent conduct, but that a vanishingly small number of the red cards that occur. In all the rest intent just isnt a factor and so pointing to lack of intent is an unhelpful misidrection

3 Likes

Curtis was not guilty of:
Serious foul play
Or
Serious violent conduct…

Red card was way beyond the punishment merited.

Intent has no bearing on the decision, but the decision is still incorrect.

1 Like

Of course it does :joy:

Football is a contact sport. If somebody bumps into somebody else and they hurt themselves incidentally then it’s not a foul. At least most of the time. It happens.

There can be a perfectly legitimate tackle that results in a bad injury. Should that be a red card ? Of course not.

Jones made a perfectly legitimate tackle. His foot slipped on the ball. Due to the slip he hit the other player. It’s not foul play and is then not a foul.

3 Likes

So what ‘does attempt to trip/hit’ mean in the laws of the game if intent doesn’t matter?

Thought I had already posted this before today’s match.

Better late than never.

1 Like

I think it was somewhere else that it was posted?

We missed the lad tonight.

Will he be fit for the Abu Dhabi game?

He was our with a minor knock (as was Gomez).

Pre-match press conference takes place on Fri at 12pm, which is when we will find out more I guess, unless some training videos/pics are released before Fri that might give a clue.

2 Likes

Might get some photos on Thursday.

Can see Jones starting against Arsenal this Sunday, if Gravenberch cannot recover in time.

Fully expect him to get absolutely clowned by Arsenal midfielders.

I fully expect Jones to play well against Arsenal if he in fact starts. He is better than Gravenberch in my opinion anyway. It is Dom who I am more worried about at the moment.

Really depends on Maca really. I do agree Jones probably starts that one.

As for Dom you don’t become a bad player overnight he will get better again.

We could really do with him back in the team.

I am just stating the fact, unlike you.

The truth is that he wasn’t supposed to start this season at all, with Macca and Dom’s arrival. He just got lucky in early season period thanks to Fabinho’s sudden departure (without proper replacement).

If, we replaced Fabinho with say, Rice, then our starting midfield would have been Macca-Rice-Dom and Jones would have been benched.