Darwin NUNEZ: 2022/23

Penwin Penez :upside_down_face:

I know it looks like a pretty simple goal but I loved that second one.

I’m so used to seeing one of our players making a heavy first or second touch, and Nunez managed to make an out-of-step second touch with the outside of his boot, positioning the ball perfectly for the strike.

It just highlighted to me his striker’s quality that he understands where he wants the ball to make the shot on goal as effective as possible. Really smart.

5 Likes

Yes 2 typical strikers goals, I remember Ruud van Nistelrooy making a ton of those.

1 Like

I don’t think Andy Cole ever scored a goal that required any technical footballing talent, he was just always in the right place. The definitive cow’s arse banjo man. Numez can score any type of goal he wishes, just keep scoring lad :slight_smile: World class goals still only count as 1.

1 Like

Already its possible to see how different Nunez is to how our other forwards have always played for us under Klopp. His passing yesterday was nothing to write home about, and I think that will be the big loss from Mane. Much less interplay, though Diaz and Carvalho look more than ready to take the slack. Yesterday though, Nunez he was always in the right place to give defenders and the keeper a headache, like our Dirk but with much greater quality (sorry Dirk!). Mane got an extraordinary number of header goals for such a small guy, but this guy looks like he will take on a header from anywhere which gets me excited.

6 Likes

Hey, don’t dis my mate Dirk! Top bloke.

2 Likes

Since when is gathering up a bunch of uneducated troll comments the basis of a “news article”? All these tabloids are doing hit pieces on Nunez based on random Twitter bullshit.

Welcome to modern “journalism”.

It’s one of my pet peeves of the BBC reporting too.

Nice to see em smiling…what a sight…

2 Likes

12 Likes

How do we play with him. I know it sounds silly after what he did today but notice he doesn’t press too much and doesn’t seem the build up type player. Is he a different option up to mix it up or am I off the mark. Haven’t looked at him enough to notice.

Flanks and CM press and win the ball and use Darwin’s movement and we score goals?

3 Likes

That itself is a talent.

5 Likes

He does press, he won the ball back for his first chance.

11 Likes

Nunez is different than other attackers we had or have and Liverpool plays differently than his previous club used to. Klopp and the coaching team have a blueprint to integrate him into our team and style. It’s not even a month that he has started to train and play with his new teammates. I think it will take fair few weeks/months before he is fully integrated.

His talent and Klopp’s tutelage can only mean :boom:

4 Likes

What made you think this? He was pressing regularly and intelligently from the moment he was on

2 Likes

Stop comparing him to Bobby. Bobby is one of a very rare breed. Nunez for his role does press well

I can’t remember a major signing under JK where there hasn’t been a clear plan for how we’re going to use them even if it’s not immediately obvious to us fans so I’m not worried about that. The other thing I’d say is the thing that impressed me most about his performance yesterday was his work rate, his pressing and the fact he was a pain in the arse for every City defender from the second he came on. He gives us a different kind of threat. A more direct physical central threat. That much was obvious even from the half hour he played. The key thing for me is how he’ll do against the low block because he’s not played against that yet for us and it’s what he’s going to be playing against about 90% of the time.

9 Likes