Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

We shall see.

3 Likes

We wouldnā€™t with Bobby as well, but our attack is built to complement each other. I would be worried if he was or going forward will be our only goal scorer. I would be worried if that ia Gakpo or Jota or Diaz as well though. Weā€™ll need to properly replace Salah when time comes and I think we would still be fine. I myself am not totally convinced to be honest and the misses irritates honestly but like others mentioned we are doing good, really strong offensively and Klopp trusts him atleast for now. Which is why can be patient with him personally.

5 Likes

Nunez really cannot complain with the tools he has to succeed here.

I mean, even our main goalscorer is showing certain adaptation to him and in what way, they have a very good understanding. Just that one is still hitting his 30+ goal targets.

Heā€™s got runners around him, creators, pressers, a new line of brand new offensive minded midfielders and Trent from deep.

Itā€™s certainly not a Carroll/Balotelli/Benteke type of situation, but itā€™s also far from a ā€œyou can see that heā€™ll be here in the next couple of years, if Real/Barca donā€™t come knockingā€.

1 Like

Anyone got any stats for him and our other strikers regarding chances scored, shots, etc?

These are the stats for the most shots. He has scored the fewest on this list, but there are some comps on here that are quite surprising given the disparate coverage of the respective players

2 Likes

For him in all comps;
Games - 28
Goals - 8
Assists - 8
Goals per 90mins - 0.47
Mins per goal - 193
Shots - 65
Conversion rate - 12%
Shot accuracy (on target to total shots) - 51%

What stands out immediately is his conversion rate, something by now we all know needs improving. In contrast Diogo sits on 36% and Salah maybe somewhat surprisingly at 27%, Gakpo at 24% and Diaz 18% make up the rest of the front 5.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies

These are 4 of the 5 chances he had last night, the other being the header he nodded wide from Endoā€™s brilliant cross. People will make of them what they will but I genuinely believe all were either unlucky/tremendous keeping as opposed to poor missesā€¦.the only Salah rolls it in front of him for perhaps could be getting a better connection on and slotting that near post? Gakpo scuffed one which kinda ends up confusing the keeper and trickles in, he never gets that lucky break falling to him.

https://twitter.com/esselfiifi09/status/1741985001267253330?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1741985001267253330|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

1 Like

Aye, Darwin is in the area of having enough openings that his cumulative stats suggests he should be walking away with a goal, but with the exception of the 1-1 individually those are not high probability chances. There were a couple from good positions that would ordinarily have a high xG value, but not under the conditions they came to him (snap shot and under pressure) and there isnt much more he could have done on either.

1 Like

Iā€™d say bottom left is the one a lot of people will be the most critical about. The others were good goalkeeping imo.

Top right Iā€™ll let him off itā€™s an angle.

The header he had free was also pretty poor.

In a way he is at least getting in the positions and putting them on target but he certainly needs to start putting at least 2 of them away.

First two are excusable. The next two should be in the back of the net. The worst one for me was the one not shown , the header.

1 Like

Great info, thank you.

I think we will see him double his conversion rate to perhaps 25% as he improves and also gets a bit of luck too. He would be on 16 goals right now if that were to happen. I think itā€™s coming.

3 Likes

While he misses far too much,he still has more goals and assists than Gakpo and Diaz in the league this season

https://x.com/mixedknuts/status/1742183245876269143?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

Note at Benfica he was shooting from the other side of the box with more success. Wonder is that something to look atā€¦ā€¦

3 Likes

yeah, with Mo gone for AFCON i hope he starts on the right. Mainly because of his assists and how he finished those 2 at Oilcastle and won us the game.

1 Like

Nunez is getting way too much criticism.

This season in the PL, he has 5 goals and 6 assists in 1119 minutes or a goal involvement every 101.7 minutes.

If we were getting remotely close to that sort of production from Gakpo or Diaz Iā€™d be thrilled, and we would likely be many more points clear at the top.

4 Likes

You do sometimes have to laugh

1 Like

In case any of you run into an Everton fan trying to talk crap about Darwin, just be sure to remind them that DCL has a worse record than him.

G-xG (not including penalties)ā€¦
DCL: -3.9
Darwin: -3.6

Although to be fair thatā€™s pretty shockingly bad by both players!

4 Likes

Actually that would be a bad idea as Nunez always hit the keeper than either side