Darwin NUNEZ: 2023/24

Yep, that reminded me of another goal against… Everton

That’s what great strikers do.

2 Likes

And notably, he didnt put it out of the goalie’s reach, he put it through that gap between the leg and the arm they struggle to close. If you are shooting it through rather than past the keeper, as long as its on target where within the goal it ends up going in is pretty much irrelevent

1 Like

I’m wondering how much of it is just PTSD from shooting wide too many times…

Err Arne Slot isn’t even the manager.

The only issues Slot has currently are with his current team.

These headlines really are bollocks

1 Like

I don’t see him looking up. Maybe he does but to me it doesn’t look like it.

This is a rather strange timing of the article but - IF true - it just reiterates my belief that there was a significant amount of discord between the recruitment and coaching staff in the wake of Edwards’ departure. Funnily enough, I wrote earlier today that I felt that our transfers in that period felt a bit disjointed but I blamed the sporting director instability. This suggests that there was more to it.

In any case, I hope Edwards return and Hughes’ appointment puts paid to that and that our club’s hierarchy returns to what they did so well during Klopp’s earlier years: recruit in unison and recruit intelligently. If they can’t get Nunez firing, I’m sure that someone like Simeone will make the most out of him instead of buying Morata every couple of seasons.

1 Like

Agree with all of that completely, but struggled to articulate it.

I’ve said for a few months about my curiosity at what the data shows about our squad, and how Edwards, Hughes, and the new manager (Slot) will interpret it all, and choose to act. I think the next couple of seasons will see a ruthless streak where there’ll be some notable departures this summer, while others are given one more season.

He definitely looks up the angle from the front shows it better, but can be seen from this angle as well just not with the quality of that snippet, it was discussed and shown both during halftime and at the end of the game by Michael Owen, who for once was right in his assessment of the finish.

Nunez may have had the VVD incident on his mind seeing the snide bastard TRex coming at him, feet first

Sad to see a hit piece like this already.

3 Likes

nothing wrong with your statement, but i dont think by being positive about the last four games to come in Klopps reign and also by how far we have come this season is in anyway blind positivity.

we can discuss the reality of the energy the team is showing, Darwin Nunez’s shooting boots or Mo Salahs form, no issue at all…

but thats not what my post was refering to… my post was refering to an ideology and a mindset… suggesting Klopps team is not worthy of watching, or that we are at some kind of all time low, is being blind in its own way.

so lets discuss positives and negatives, but lets keep it based in reality… not some online desperation for a crisis…

edit, i just wanted to clarify something in the first paragraph

1 Like

I’m not sure if that makes it better or worse then.

I was watching how Jota lets the ball roll over to his side so that he can place it away the keeper, whereas Nunez blindly takes the shot and hopes for the best. It’s such a waste.

I’m watching all games and I hope that the Anfield crowd also wakes up in the last two home games, because the last two games there were embarrassing. Certainly not the way I imagined the end of Klopp’s era. That saddens me more than those performances and results.

2 Likes

Asking the players to up their game, is one thing, hoping the the crowd wakes up, is expecting too much. I agree, it’s been poor lately and has been for a while. I don’t know what’s wrong with them.

1 Like

It’s all the daytrippers.

Once they’ve gone it will be a raucous noise every week, trust me it’s what they tell us constantly via social media.*

*:wink:

1 Like

Romano reporting that near the end of last summer’s window, Chelsea, in the search of a striker, tried to get Nunez. But the club and especially Klopp said no.

2 Likes

I remember there were some odd pieces at the time, linking Nunez with Chelsea. We rightly said no at the time, as he deserved a second season after the shower that was the 22/23 season (from everyone).

I doubt they’ll come back in for him again, but you never know with that shambles of a club.

Waiting for Todd to chuck us £100 million and that hotel to balance the books

Just want to offer up the protest over the raise in ticket prices.

(Different fans have different opinions, and the likes of SOS seemed very strongly against, whereas to my mind, and many others on here, a very modest raise, under inflation, against a backdrop of years of frozen prices, is not a big deal at all. The big deal is the overall price of going to football for fans, and that train left the station many years ago).

Anyway, all that is to say, I think this is one of the ingredients that contributed to a lull when we needed a surge. I’m not saying SOS made Darwin Nunez miss a chance, as that would be ridiculous, but I am saying that they put a damp squib on the atmosphere. We have form for electric European nights, and Atalanta came and didn’t get the full treatment, either from the fans or the players to be fair.

Don’t want to overdo it. It is just an ingredient among many other factors, but when the team needed the fans, it felt a bit like SOS were calling the shots and telling people the manner in which they were not allowed to show their support.

The affect on Klopp seemed real too. He seemed to spend his time and energy being a peacemaker, running interference so the situation didn’t blow up into a bigger deal.

Anyway, it took something away from the fans, the atmosphere, the manager and the team.

Over a quid?

1 Like

It’s a rather pessimistic outlook on his Liverpool career so far, as well as his future prospects at Liverpool… But still an informative one that highlights his inconsistency as one of his natural traits.