Darwin Núñez (FW) Benfica

We never had an out and out goalscorer under Klopp (sturridge might have become one but for his injuries and divock was mainly an impact sub)

And that’s what we’re missing.

Passing stats being poor can be a reflection of a player’s role in the team as much as a reflection on their ability. For Benfica he’s their target man, always on the shoulder, running the channels and getting in the box. That’s to say he’ll often be isolated.

He has low completion but high shot creating actions and high carries/touches in the area. If he’s always in those areas he will be losing the ball a lot, that’s normal.

7 Likes

Not sure about this. He seems to lack the qualities in the build up that Firmino and Mane have both brough to the nine position, so unless we’re planning to change approach, buying a more traditional goalscorer seems a bit of a weird one.

But not unheard of for Klopp. He did play with Lewandowski in dortmund.

6 Likes

Getting excited now!

1 Like

One word: United.

If we are indeed interested, its easy to see this play out where United in desperation offer something incredible and we’ll need Nunez to dig his heels in and the club will need to get as close as possible to United’s fee.

Also someone like him would free up the wingers. Teams nowadays are almost keeping 2 players on Diaz and Salah. With Nunez upfront and being a natural center forward. You will find that the wingers have more freedom.

1 Like

Do you have access to those stats or is that linked from someone else? Would love to see peak Sadio (19/20?) vs 21/22 Nunez…

How good is Nunez in the air? Is he the sort of player that will add a threat to our set pieces and high crosses in open play? Or is he largely an on the deck type player?

Just watching a YouTube vid of his goals from last year.

He’s clearly got a lot of talent, but there are an lot of deflections, awful goalkeeping and terrible defending as well.

The main thing though is that I don’t see a player who looks like he fits in with the way we play at the minute.

We’ve had incredible success but need to mix things up a bit I think. Bobby and Mane are irreplaceable anyway. Nunez appears to have the necessary strength and speed to play for us, then be interesting to see what Klopp does with him. Also, be great to see how we do with a more traditional goal scorer

Some phenomenal finishes in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFpR8vNX118

2 Likes

One of his strengths, from the highlights reels.

Full disclosure. I have only seen him play two games. Not the full ten.

6 Likes

Yes that’s why every journo has been briefed to highlight that Liverpool ‘are not interested in a bidding war’

My new theory is that perhaps this is us pre-empting Mo’s departure a bit early, as we suspect our next RW, whether that’s this summer or more likely next summer, will be more like Diaz, eg chiefly creator rather than goalscorer, and therefore we’re going to need to adjust to playing a more traditional no9, in Nunez.

And it makes sense, I think Mo’s skillset it pretty unique whereas we could look at any number of very good RWs for a more creative role, eg Raphinha, even Bowen etc.

6 Likes

Considering that we didnt get Tchouameni , This might be more of Klopp changing his system by playing one midfielder less.

We will see one more DM bought in like Sangare and wont have Robbo going forward that often. Robbo’s end ball is lacking.

Rather spend 100m on two players than splunk it all on Tchouameni.

Hopefully we raise 70 to 75 on player sales with Ox , Mane , Minamino (sadly he will have to make way although love him)

1 Like

I think there is going to be a mini-reset next season, with Klopp here for another 4 I can see him changing it up and trying something slightly different, and hoping to leave the club in a good spot when his time is up. I don’t think there will be dramatic changes, as in I think FBs will be utilised in a similar way, but I do think in the knowledge that our forward and midfield personnel are almost certainly going to be different before Klopp leaves, its a good time to make those changes while our coaches, defence and keeper are all fully settled.

2 Likes

OK, the blast into the opposite corner off the post on his left had me excited.

He probably won’t win awards for his stepovers though. Looks like a donkey. :rofl:

1 Like
1 Like