Diogo JOTA: 2022/23

Yeah no real news - expected to be out until end Dec, and then will need a mini pre-season so end of Jan seems reasonable.

The really good news is that Lucho is back running!

1 Like

I thought they were always suggesting Jota was out til January.

Is Pearce presenting that as new news? As I read that a month ago.

4 Likes

Out until February. Must be gutted watching Portugal ripping it up :slightly_frowning_face:

‘Forgotten man’ but from what we’ve seen from him in his first half season he is our best finisher.

Think we saw it before, he’s on a negative run without a goal. But yeah, people can sometimes forget about certain players. Looking forward to him finally being fit again.

1 Like

Had one full team session this week and will be back in full training next week.

5 Likes

This definitely calls for the

I Hope Please GIF

1 Like

I read I’m back, and I was like yay Livvy is back :blush:

1 Like

Looked lively now stay fit :unamused:

1 Like

Nice to see him back. Might have had a goal had Stefan slipped it left, instead of right (and short) to Mo on the break late in. Bajcetic was ace though.

Lovely to see Jota again though. Will be even better when Diaz is back too, and all of a sudden, it will be looking very good.

Hopefully it all coincides with a top four finish and a CL win.

We can dream!

What a photo btw, congratulations Diogo

Be blessed, always :heart_eyes: :pray:

Unfortunately, as predicted when his injury prognosis was revealed to the public, tomorrow will mark one year since he last scored a goal for Liverpool. I really feel sorry for lad, that’s three big injuries since he arrived, he works hard, puts himself about, produces some assists but he rarely gets anywhere near the goal these days. I’d love it if his goals carried Liverpool to a CL or PL title in the future but he’s another symptom of a floundering attack at the moment.

I was happy to see him score a couple today.

With that said, Jota is probably only 5th choice for me in the striker pecking order.

Funnily enough, I was discussing him with my mates last night and while each of us was very pleased with the fact that Jota is a Liverpool player, we agreed that he’s quite likely the guy that misses out on the starting eleven if our team is to consistently fight for trophies.

As a striker, he’s gone from being a sublime finisher to getting serious injuries and not scoring for a year. As a winger, he’s probably not quick enough and not good enough at going past defenders.

That said, we have to hope that he and Gakpo can push Nunez, Diaz and Salah closely for starting spots. He’s obviously a talented player but I think that Nunez and Diaz should have more in their lockers than him (provided everyone stays fit), mainly due to physical qualities.

He was great when he got going last night. Was involved in four of the goals. What more could you ask?
Credit where it’s due.

8 Likes

I found it annoying how the commentators kept going on and on about him not scoring for a year. He’s been injured for six months of that time.

3 Likes

It’s also annoying when people on here who should know better are framing it in the same narrative.

Since his last goal against City in 21l22 he played 75+ mins in only 5 games and made 4 other appearances. We won every single match aside from Spurs where he only played 25 minutes. He managed 3 assists.

In 22/23 He was injured for all EFL and FA Cup games. Played less that 75mins in each of his six Champions League games but managed 4 assists. Missed 2 through injury.

Missed the entirety of August and was injured from late October to the start of Feb. Only playing 75mins+ five times in the Premier league. In those games he made 3 assists and scored 2. and one game was also the win against City back in October.

This weird and unnecessary narrative that he’s in bad form and hasn’t scored for a year but doesn’t take into account injuries, time to come back from injuries, the form of the team in general, the lack of minutes on the pitch when he is fit, I just don’t get.

He’s probably not in many people’s first 11 when everyone is available, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t an effective squad player.

And for some reason on here, like with Jones or Gomez, if you aren’t good enough for the first 11 then you should be sold because apparently squad players aren’t a thing anymore.

He’s a different kind of player, he isn’t a constant threat, but he is a constant nuisance and often comes up with a vital goal or assist at the right time even if he hasn’t looked liked doing it for the previous 70 minutes.

10 Likes