Downunder Thread

That’s early, guvner. Us Stray-aliens have to be pretty dedicated to watch live. On the plus side, the breadth of coverage is great - all 380 PL matches via one subscription for I think $250* for the season - and it’s easy to watch games on demand the next morning if you want to enjoy the pleasures of daylight Australia.

• Plus free identity fraud. Thanks Optus!

Might not make it this time. Just got in after a 26hr journey.

Tomatoes 10 bucks a kilo, cucumbers 4 bucks each.

And here’s the weather forecast for the next few days…

Did that also affect Optus Sport customers? I’m with Optus Sport and I thought the problem was only the Telco division?

I’ve actually been unhappy with my service and probably will move to another service I run it through ExpressVPN. I get about 54mb/s with the Aussie server (it’s miles better than Nord), but every Sport stream on Optus is both regularly buffering and downgrades to the very lowest extremely blocky bitrate. It’s so bad I sometimes can’t tell the difference between Tsimi and Nunez.

If my bandwidth figure above isn’t evidence that my internet +VPN combo isn’t the problem, I watch our CL on Stan Sport lag free at 4k. Optus Sport is just incredibly shit IMO.

1 Like

Yeah my mate told me that a month or two ago so the tomato prices have been mad for a while. Im not sure what the deal with that is. I guess the main growing region got hit with a bad season or a locust plague?

EDIT: Due to lack of seasonal workers. And crops potentially rotting in the field. Hmmm… Where have I heard this before…

I don’t have any knowledge with Australian football clubs and their supporters so I don’t have any background as to how to view this - beyond the article itself… Has this sort of thing always been there and why now for it to surface?

A large number of the ‘historical’ clubs in Aus have strong to very strong ties to imigration and various ethnic backgrounds - not a big surprise as people will often gravitate to cultural familiarities. When you look at the names of clubs from the old NSL days. Sydney Croatia, Sydney Olympic, Heidleberg United, South Melbourne Hellas, Brunswick Juventus, Brisbane Lions - original name was Hollandia Inala so often when fans clashed, the media jumped on the hooligan/race bandwagon.

I don’t really remember to much info as I was still fairly young at the time and never really went to NSL games as getting from Gold Coast up to Brisbane wasn’t that easy back then and M&D weren’t into football so without them driving I had no way to get up to games, and also, I was focused more on LFC so wasn’t all that keen on the local game.

1 Like

ethnic clubs are the backb one of australian football.

thier time at the top tier has gone, but my personal football journey, playing for a british club, we used to have great times playing the various ethnic clubs and seeing the culture, the foods and the peoples…it can rise to issues like when a serb club plays a croatian club, but generally speaking, its brought so much to the football landscape over here.

they are more than football clubs, they are social hubs

3 Likes

Yep @aussielad and @Redbj
The old ethnic based clubs were excluded from the A League but since the FAA brought back a cup competition they (sensibly) widened participation to the separate tiers below where historical clubs still live. Unfortunately the audience and prestige (relatively speaking) of this tourney have brought back all the old divisions which had otherwise largely withered. I expect this still has another couple of generations before it dies - probably hastened by adding a second tier to the A League and kicking out teams from the cup who can’t control their crowds.

Let’s hope that means no bushfires at least

More fuel for bushfires next summer!

There’s your silver lining right there :wink:

look how you jinx Sydney with your arrival.

1 Like

I flew via Singapore. I wanted to come and visit your gallery, but they wouldn’t let me out of the airport.

Shit, you transited in Singapore? No wonder we had one of the heaviest rainfall throughout the weekend and resulting in the delayed start of the F1 race. Luckily our Ministry Of Superstitions Against Jinx Persons denied your visa to enter or else it might be worse.

It’s been raining in Sydney all year. I think your downpour was the Gods crying over your artwork.

Not surprised that even God is touched by my art. I would be surprised if He is not.

they’re just giving the crocs a bath. probably shitting on wine country though. all those poor redback and huntsman getting a dousing.

Oh dear the wet ground and humidity will be lovely for the Sydney funnel web spiders this spring and summer. Tip for visitors…always wear shoes in the garden and don’t leave shoes outside. Funnel webs love hiding in a shoe….

And then there is snakes and many other evil motherfuckers this country has.

And thats before you even get to the Rugby League fans.

Its a dangerous place

Especially Souffs fans……naturally from a Rooster…