England National Team

Good.

The hype surrounding the English game builds unrealistic expectations. It all starts with language.

2 Likes

I have been drinking so itā€™s great :grinning:

Southgate will probably renew his contract now the way the media are stating England were unlucky to loseā€¦ Personally, with zero interest in them, not really bothered who manages them

That doesnā€™t address the issue. Itā€™s easy to piss and moan about Southgate, but who out there makes a difference? what difference does it make if heā€™s played favourites when the result was completely mediocre players not getting their shot? Historically England has had a player of repute who has struggled to force their way into the side that people may walk away from a tournament asking how things would be different if that player would have played. Are we saying that Conor Coady makes a difference here? Ben ā€œI cant get a game at CB for Arsenalā€ White?

2 Likes

Is it though look at tournaments when its mattered with have been wanting 2018 World cup played 3 decent teams lost all 3. Euros bottled final against Italy and today could and should have beaten French took till halftime to get going.

1 Like

At least he has some class.

"Englandā€™s players were incensed in several moments during the game when the refereeā€™s decisions did not go their way but Southgate chose not to wade into any controversy.

ā€˜Weā€™ve lost a game, I donā€™t think we should be speaking about referees,ā€™ he said."

But it really his decision? I mean, his contract up. Canā€™t he FA just say sayanora?

Gareth Southgate: England manager signs new contract through to December 2024 - BBC Sport

2 years to go on his contract.

4 Likes

Oops.

In my opinion he should remain.

2020 Euro finalist.
2018 World Cup semi.

For me to suggest par for England is QF, and that we were one of half a dozen sides who could have won the World Cup, seems entirely reasonable.

France edged it. It was a tight contest and another day I think England might have won there. It wasnā€™t to be.

I donā€™t feel anything close to what I feel when LFC lose. Thatā€™s it. We move on!

2 Likes

You might be forgetting Madisson. Maybe it was difficult for him to find his way into the side with the likes of Rice, Bellingham and Henderson playing well. He might not have been fit either, and maybe that is why he didnā€™t get a single minute, but Iā€™d have rather seen him on for Henderson than Mount. The way heā€™s playing should be in the conversation for the Euros.

I havenā€™t always agreed with Southgateā€™s selections or tactics, but when it come to tournament matches I think he has a better record than any of his predecessors, bar Alf Ramsey.

I think that the England manager should be English and of the current crop of English managers in the top flight the only one I think might do a better than Southgate is Graham Potter who is only a few months into his job at Chelsea. Maybe, if Southgate quits, Potter might accept it if itā€™s offered rather than wait for the sack at the end of a trophyless season.

2 Likes

This is still abstract. If you dont think Maguire should have been playing because he hasnt played enough for Utd then who, specifically, should have played instead? Can you hand on heart say that whomever that is is good enough to have made a difference?

Harry simply is not good enough for a side with expectations of going further than this, but the fact he played is a reflection of the reality that England doesnt have anyone else who has made a strong enough case to think theyā€™d be better.

1 Like

And as @Limiescouse rightly pointed out, not a single centre back in that list

2 Likes

I think Walker should have played CB and then RB is TAA or James or whoever. Generally think youā€™re right though about a lack of options there.

Not too fussed about England but I donā€™t think itā€™s over hyping in the media. Itā€™s joy for most in the country when they do well. This England team is a bit easier to like than previous England teams, only the odd divvie here and there, (Foden). I also donā€™t the England acting all cocky like they only have to turn up.

Does anyone think the French/Brazilian/Portuguese/German etc media have a blanket ban on reporting on their national teams?

1 Like

Looking at players of a similar age in that position, I doubt theyā€™ll be pulling up any trees in that department at the next tournament either.

Tomori 24
Guehi 22
Godfrey 24
Gomez 25
White 25
Konsa 25
Chalobah 23

Tomori the stand out of that list, the rest are decent but Iā€™m not convinced any of them will take the steps forward required to be better than Stones is currently or even improve on the performances Maguire has put in for England.

Colwill and Harwood-Bellis are highly thought of in the U21s but at that age itā€™s hard to say what way it will go for a CB, very few stand out until their mid 20s.

Maybe England could look into the lineage of some of the French CBs and try to pinch one, they have a ridiculous depth of talent in that area of the pitch.

1 Like

JoGo has never been given the opportunities he has deserved. In 19-20 when he was as good (and sometimes better) than imperious VVD, he was ignored by Gareth dull and ponderous Gate. Sure he hasnā€™t returned to those heights post injury or had much playing time lately but I still think he has the potential to be ENG best CB by some distance.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never really understood why Tomori is rated so highly by certain people. Heā€™s a decent player, no more than that.

1 Like

I was actually surprised that Tammy Abraham did not even get called up. Granted he was not as in great form compared to last year, but surely he would be a great option compared to say Rashford who was not in exactly good form either. Not sure whether he was injured or what, but I would think Abraham would also be considered as part of the next gen of England. But again I did not watch the matches partly its 3AM in Singapore and I donā€™t really care about international matches unless Singapore is in the World Cup which means it will happen in next life twice over.

1 Like

To be fair, this statement has been rolled out since 1970

6 Likes