England National Team

He’ll say he’s 22 but even if he was 15, he still wouldn’t live long enough to see England bringing it home.

It’s interesting how quickly England can ignore their own process. Their hiring of Southgate for the U21s was with a view to elevating him to the senior side when they next had a vacancy. It was an approach borrowed from other countries viewed as being successful and based on the idea that the manager would bring with him the knowledge of having worked with the kids at the younger age groups who hopefully would by then be filling the senior team.

Southgate was replaced in the U21s by Bothroyd, who surely was never a serious candidate for the senior side and he has since be replaced by Lee Carsley. After just one cycle of this new systematic process, and one that worked about as well as they could have expected, they’ve already put themselves in a position where it cannot be followed for the next cycle.

3 Likes

You can pretty much kill this with 1 sentence.

“Is it therefore racist to say that only English players play and have ever played for England”

Nationality and Race do not correlate when it comes to defining what is or isn’t deemed racist.

What people like Richard Keys needs to understand is English people come from various backgrounds….just like another other Country.

2 Likes

Tend to agree with this

Early 60’s.

This was an awesome thread - I just posted it in the Hendo thread then came across it here.

I think it’s a bit bollocks, isn’t racist it’s just factually it’s garbage at least at the moment we do have several decent English managers they just seemed tied to their clubs.

I’d do everything to get another campaign with Southgate and see what happens then. I don’t think flopping at Chelsea is the worst thing for Potter mind.

3 Likes

You’re likely right. Not sure it is racist, but probably more down the xenophobic route in my opinion. Although an interesting point was raised about English managers better understanding the media and how to deal with the English press does raise the question is it the media that drive this ned to be English to be the England Manager? or is it an idea driven by the FA that feed this line to the media? Or is it the fans? - but we all know how fickle fans can be, so I would be inclined to think they are basing their ideas on what the media are telling them to think, so more likely it is coming from either the FA or the media in my opinion.

1 Like

Kane will still have absolutely no problem in trying to con a pen against us next time we play Spurs.

Entirely irrelevant to the point of the post - all about Hendo - fk Kane

Yeah possibly treds into that, potentially clumsy but when they appointed Sven and Fabio what was there?

Roy Hodgson?

Both came after a spectacular failure of a previously well rated English manager. So often replacements are hired to be the antithesis of the person they are replacing and I think the fact those failures were produced by english managers made the FA look negatively at whomever else were the options at the time (probably the likes of Curbs and Pardew). I dont think even the people most critical of Southgate would think he would leave the same stink and Keegan or McClaren did and so I think there is far more potential for a continuity candidate than one hired as a reaction .

1 Like

To be fair Southgate only got it due to a bit of desperation and promotion from within.

I don’t think picking the best manager works to be honest. I think it just so happens the best two currently can work on getting the best out of a bad situation.

Howe probably more than Potter in that sense, Bournemouth were effectively dead without his rescue mission. They still owe me about £2 that I put in a bucket :wink:

1 Like

The promotion from within was part of the plan and was the reason he was installed as the U21s manager in the first place. This was the FA’s attempt to institute the German style continuity model, it just came to him sooner than expected. He initially turned it down after Roy was fired as he thought it was too soon. But after wine by the pint gate they turned to him again and he somewhat reluctantly accepted it.

I don’t know who is really available who is a credible candidate, but we know the FA are conscious of the criticism they’ve faced for hiring foreign managers before and how badly the last one worked out. I’d think if they were able to avoid the temptation to go foreign after the debacle that was Hodgson they’ll be able to avoid it again should Southgate choose to leave. In fact, I wonder if the perceived current unavailability of Potter and Howe would factor into Southgate being willing to take on one more cycle?

2 Likes

How do other countries manage to get people buying into that pathway?

It’s difficult to think of good candidates who would want the England job let alone work at the younger sides first.

Probably some combination of the international team being a less toxic entity and the money in their domestic club football not being as high.

2 Likes

FA missed a trick not appointing Wenger after leaving Arsenal was supposedly very keen.

4 Likes

What better way for Maureen the pantomime villain to appear back upon the media stage than take the England job… Unless of course he has ideas to go to Sandcastle that is

Literally nobody will want to play for that cantankerous git. He throws players under the bus on the regular.