England National Team

Who’s the least deserving player to be bussed? Fat Luke? Prima-donna Pogba? Delusional Ali? I struggle to think of a victim that was a sacrificial “virgin”. England job would be perfect for him. He can’t do anything about transfers, if he doesn’t like a player he doesn’t put him in the squad, tactically brilliant, a good cup manager. Yes there are some cons, the biggest being the style of football he plays, yet it would at the bare minimum still be as attractive as the current setup, and he is unlikely to last 4 years.

I could see him being the “knighted” one, Sir Jose.

In-ger -land fans will turn on him in an instant over the turgid football. Four years? He won’t last four months with the tabloids hounding him out.

You know those sarcastic quips that endeared him to some of the media while he was at Chelsea?

As England manager they’ll be interpreted as snide comments worthy of derision, by the same press mob.

1 Like
3 Likes

Easily Top5 squad in world football for some time now but the national team lacks mentality / identity to go all the way in a tournament.

Doubt any other English manager could get more out of them.

Argentine have an unknown manager and he has some deserved former players / strong characters (Pablo Aimar/Walter Samuel) as his assistants.

Maybe that’s what Southgate could do. Change his assistants to some strong characters who can push his players.

3 Likes

Maybe they should be inspired by this guy. Seems to have the proper moxie.

:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Southgate staying on as manager.

Expect more failure.

2 Likes

Phew

Keeps Frank at Everton, he can finish the job.

They’ll still put the blame on Rafa.

1 Like

At least Trent is going to get some decent rest for the next two years

2 Likes

The failure since 1966?

And here we have another one, when I was speaking of the calibre/profile of these people who often win these things.

How good was Lionel Scaloni at the point when Argentina appointed him? Was he known worldwide, world class, serial winner? He was also in Argentina’s system.

He’s won 3 titles in a row with Argentina now, which are his first ones in his managerial career. It’s his first full time senior job in charge.

That’s more on the other side, it’s pretty rare. But it’s not like the man who achieved this had an incredible CV when he took on the challenge of managing “Messi’s Argentina” in it’s final push.

1 Like

He was part of Sampaoli’s support team and so the failure of that tenure and his lack of own track record saw a lot of resistance to his appointment. A bit like the England job though, it’s a bit of a toxic one without many good candidates putting their hand up top take it.

It’s worth taking stock in how he approached the role though. Unlike Sampaoli, who came in with a philosphy and forced his side to implement it no mater how badly mismatched it was to the best players he could call upon, Scaloni focused on finding balance in his team selections and letting the team play the football that selection warranted. It resulted in unpopular decisions and sometimes leaving popular players on the bench, but the result is the most coherent and balanced Argentina side I’ve seen since 2006.

Modern day Shearer.
Serial record breaker, serial loser.

1 Like

We are obsessed with centre forwards. But what’s the point if we haven’t won anything?

2 Likes

At least won a title with Blackburn.

4 Likes

Kane looks nailed on to leave Spurs this summer to me, unless they want to see him leave on a Bosman.

He will probably gather a couple of trophies in the autumn of his playing career.

An FA Cup and a Carabao Cup, over the next 5 years, at Man Utd.

Grudgingly I would take that.

Making it all about a goal scoring record and celebrating afterwards shows the mentality of these.

3 Likes

I think after his loyalty to Spurs, Harry Kane deserves a few seasons competing for the top trophies. I do wonder why he didn’t move abroad for a few years. I would have taken him in a heart beat.

1 Like